Model Cars Magazine Forum

Auto ID #152 FINISHED!

Living here in Finland, this one was easy! Only thing I had to do was just to check the model number from Google.

I saw one of these last summer at a Street Racing event here in Finland. It was a true sleeper, completely original looking with mud flaps, stock interior, stock exhaust tip etc. But with a turbo engine, it was surprisingly fast:

considering the builder and the customer base, they were fairly successful in their day. not as eye-stabbing as a Panhard Dyna; it actually looks kind of Rambler-ish.

As I recall all of these genera of soviet cars had some basis on a Fiat 1500 series. So I guess we could call them Fiai's. That would be a Fix It Again Ivan! :lol:

This one looked familiar to me, but I couldn't find what it was. Closest thing I found was a Simca 1000

There was one huge clue in the photo. There is what looks like a two tone BMW behind it with a CCCP sticker in the rear window. All I had to do was Google Soviet cars and that was that.

There was one huge clue in the photo. There is what looks like a two tone BMW behind it with a CCCP sticker in the rear window. All I had to do was Google Soviet cars and that was that.

What looks like a two tone BMW is an NSU! There is a BMW next to it though. Edited by DonW

Sorry, that two tone BMW is a Zaporozhets, so is the car next to it.

Regards

D W

Yup. What gives it away (though it does have a strong resemblance to an NSU Prinz, also heavily influenced by the styling of the first Corvairs) is the scoops on the quarter panels and the round taillights.

auto-big-eared-zaporozhets2.jpg

Didn't notice that, too busy staring at the car figuring out what it possibly could be :P

• 3 weeks later...

No Moskvich has nothing of Fiat. Just good old prejudice here hum?

Prejudice? No, just most of what I have read says that the small cars like this were reverse engineered from Fiat though I believe this one has a basis in Opel. Talk about picking a poor example to copy, though I suppose they could have chosen a Chevy Vega , Ford Pinto or just about anything from England in the 60's and had an equally bad example. With the possible exception of the Nissan/Datsun or Toyotas or 2000 series BMW's anything of that size was really not engineering that anyone should emulate.

Edited by Pete J.