Model Cars Magazine Forum

White Road Boss - More pics 3/26/13

Hey all, after a long slump (well over 2 years since I finished anything) I'm back for a while I hope. Anyway, I picked this up when it first got reissued, and after finishing and painting the fram and driveline, it came to a screeching halt. About 3 weeks ago, I tore into it full force, working on it as much as I could and here we are. Basically out of the box, but I changed a few things. I cut down the sleeper crawl through to close the gap a bit, made a new stack using the kit muffler wrapped in chrome tape and aluminum tubing, made new mudflaps from the covering of an old 3 ring binder, and brewed up some of the decals (door signs, unit number, Cummins "C", mudflaps, PA license plate). Hood stripes, ICC numbers, other license plates, fuel tax and DOT stickers are from the kit. Colors are Duplicolor Santa Fe Tan, Chevy Engine Orange, and Cummins beige, interior is Krylon brown. Testors for all the little bits and pieces that aren't those colors. BMF on air cleaner face, battery box lid, and tank straps. West-Penn was never a real company to my knowledge, but it seems to fit. I was shooting for a typical '70s small fleet/owner op look. The bunk isn't permanently attached and probably never will be. I honestly think the Mercury sleepers are pretty ugly, but that's just me. I was going for cleanliness, and I'm pretty pleased. I'm still getting back into it, so once I shake some more rust off I think I'll be alright. Enjoy.

001-3_zps16647427.jpg

002-4_zps080ae750.jpg

003-2_zps8db925eb.jpg

004-2_zps109e3f89.jpg

005-1_zps435ba975.jpg

006_zpscef28244.jpg

007-1_zps6212fa93.jpg

008-1_zps61191a42.jpg

Edited by Casey429

Thanks for the kind words, fellas! Here's a couple more, in daycab mode with my dad's old Great Dane extendable from back in the day.

006_zps0525f2a5.jpg

007-1_zpsb1ef7ed3.jpg

And with its distant cousin, dad's Diamond Reo, also a survivor from back in the day.

008-1_zps2d9cc971.jpg

010-1_zps6e4b2924.jpg

It got a semi-restoration in the early '90s, mostly just glued back together and a few things touched up or repainted. Looks like old Testors metallic green. It's suffering from some serious shelf wear at the moment, but despite dad's youth, years in my grandma's attic, mine and my brother's childhoods, and two moves, it's holding up well. It's been glued back together a few times, but I can't bring myself to give it a full on restoration. It just has too much character.

009-1_zpsa2c44860.jpg

Thanks again for looking!

Thanks everyone! I agree that leaving the ol' Reo alone is best, but I at least need to reattach the stack haha. I definitley like the Rdon't oad Boss as a daycab more, I think it'll stay that way. I can always just set the sleeper on if I get bored.

Alex, I made the PA plate with something like this http://www.licenseplates.tv/1977_pennsylvania_license_plate_7599.html. I thought I used the Acme Platemaker, but they don't seem to have the right blank. Insert the desired numbers (this might actually be a passenger car arrangement, but it fits). I saved the image, inserted it into a Microsoft word document, sized it (just measure a decal plate and match it), then printed on photo paper and attached with a dab of epoxy. I printed almost a full 4x6 sheet of them, plenty for other projects.

Edited by Casey429