Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1977 Firebird Diecast?

Hi everybody, I am a new member here, and let me say how much I have enjoyed reading through all the topic posted. I do have one question. What ever happened to the Revell Firebird Smokey and the Bandit diecast kit? I bought one at NNL East 3? years ago and have not seen one since and it is not even on eBay. This was a great kit (even though it was diecast) and I want some more. Any info?

Hi everybody, I am a new member here, and let me say how much I have enjoyed reading through all the topic posted. I do have one question. What ever happened to the Revell Firebird Smokey and the Bandit diecast kit? I bought one at NNL East 3? years ago and have not seen one since and it is not even on eBay. This was a great kit (even though it was diecast) and I want some more. Any info?

I still see it around in hobby shops and on ebay...I think Revell has dropped many of their 1:25th diecasts, and have been converting many of them to plastic kits (like the '58 Impala and the upcoming '68 Mustang, '70 Challenger and Subaru, for example).

While it's not currently in the lineup, because the price of zinc for diecast quadrupled, you may eventually see it reissued as a full plastic kit like many of their other previous diecast models are being converted. Give it time. It's a fine kit, aside from the lack of "Trans Am" lettering and tire sidewalls that are completely devoid of any detail. I know they won't use "Good Year" anymore, but c'mon...they can fake some simple design on the sidewalls to make them at least look like MODEL tires, not TOY tires :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed building it. I think it's miles ahead of the AMT/MPC kit.

Received_28_03_2006110722-vi.jpg

DSC00021-vi.jpg

DSC00004-vi.jpg

I made my own removable hood hinge support... that tab on the far left hooks in to the top firewall opening.

DSC00029-vi.jpg

Keith Marks supplied the missing 'TRANS AM'' text

DSC00018-vi.jpg

DSC00017-vi.jpg