#1 MarkJ

MarkJ

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Full Name:Mark

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:08 AM

If any of you have built the Monogram Nascar Kenny Wallace kit you might have noticed that the nose is way too short and the rear bumper area on the real car was more squared off and slab sided at the rear bumper then the model. I'm trying to make my 1995 Ward Burton car look a little more like the real car he drove. Below is what I have so far. I used a scale picture of the 1995 Petty car as a guide. I know the picture is not perfectly square of the Bobby Hamilton car ( I think he drove it that year but not sure?) , but I made allowances for it. Sorry if you already saw this thread in the "on the workbench" section. Nobody shows much interest in Nascar builds there.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The 22 car in the 2 photo's below is the car I'm trying to do.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Here is the Monogram kit done without nose modifications. Whoever did it, did a very good job.

Posted Image

#2 LVZ2881

LVZ2881

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Location:Las Vegas,NV, but wishing i was home in salem, oregon

Posted 22 February 2008 - 09:48 AM

Looks like you got a great start!!

look forward to more wip pics!!

#3 Billy Kingsley

Billy Kingsley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • Full Name:Billy

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:57 AM

You could save yourself a lot of trouble by purchasing the SMH resin body! The rear side windows are slightly differently shaped..You could probably leave that alone on a black car, but on a light color car it would need to be addressed!

#4 MarkJ

MarkJ

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 03:34 PM

You could save yourself a lot of trouble by purchasing the SMH resin body! The rear side windows are slightly differently shaped..You could probably leave that alone on a black car, but on a light color car it would need to be addressed!

Billy, What fun would that be? Your saying I should just throw away the work I've done so far and purchase the resin body that I have heard is not all that accurate itself. I know the B-pillars on the real car are more straight up and down and thicker but that should not be a problem. I have this excellent picture of the Petty Enterprise's 95 Grand Prix that will help me make my one off creation close enough for me. Thanks for the reply.

Posted Image

#5 MarkJ

MarkJ

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:19 AM

Ready for primer.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Jay

Jay

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:41 AM

Mark,

Great job with all the body work! It looks just like the photo! Get in primer & post some more pics....

#7 jamie

jamie

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:29 AM

Very interesting! I've never seen anyone do that before...very cool!

#8 MarkJ

MarkJ

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:33 AM

I shot the first coat of primer and then found out that the sides were not as flat as the real car or as they call it "slabsided" so I added that to it after the first primer coat. I have alot of detail sanding and more primer coats to come but you can get a good idea how its coming along.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 jamie

jamie

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 05:34 PM

Looks great man! Keep it going! I slab sided an Earnhardt Lumina a while ago, and I must say it was the most effective mod I've done......

#10 Tom Sargent

Tom Sargent

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:46 PM

Looks amazing, I got to see the real car at Bill Davis Racing a few days ago and I immediatly thought of your build when I saw that car. You nailed it great work, I can't wait to see it with some paint on it.

#11 MarkJ

MarkJ

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:21 AM

Looks amazing, I got to see the real car at Bill Davis Racing a few days ago and I immediatly thought of your build when I saw that car. You nailed it great work, I can't wait to see it with some paint on it.

Tom, I saw that car also back in 2000 at their shop but I only took one picture of it. I wasn't building models back then and didn't think to take lot of pictures of it. Do you remember by any chance what color the interior was? Thanks.

#12 MarkJ

MarkJ

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:09 AM

Here's the white primer sanding guide and after I block sanded it off with 2400 paper. Since then I have reprimed it and I'm finally ready to paint. Should I use Tamiya or Duplicolor Black? Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 MarkJ

MarkJ

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:31 AM

Here is the model after the first coats of color were put on it and before it was sanded for applying clear. Since then I have wet sanded it with 2400 and applied the clear. I hope to have it polished out next weekend.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 MarkJ

MarkJ

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 11:17 AM

Well I'm finally through with the body except for some detail work. I can finally start working on the chassis and interior.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 santeras

santeras

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:44 PM

This is looking great Mark, anymore progress on it? I have the earlier Heinz 57 version (identical body shape by the look of it) that I just started... the decals are shot so i'll go with a custom version instead. Would like to see how this turned out.

#16 MarkJ

MarkJ

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:07 PM

This is looking great Mark, anymore progress on it? I have the earlier Heinz 57 version (identical body shape by the look of it) that I just started... the decals are shot so i'll go with a custom version instead. Would like to see how this turned out.

Its been very slow going because I had to scratchbuild the 1/4 glasses and I also had an accident with some super glue that ended up on the roof and trunk. So who knows when this one will be finished?