Model Cars Magazine Forum

Amt Gto Mystery Parts?

I have 2 AMT Pontiac GTO kits, a 1967, kit#31764 and a 1972, kit#38513. In both kits on the sprue with the hood is a set of tires [4 halves}. they are skinny like a motorcycle tire, but not anywhere is there a reference to them, most likely a leftover part. Does anyone know what they were used for in the original kit. thanks in advance.

Edited by Bristol Man

If it's what I think it is, AMT used to have styrene "add-on's" to widen a tire instead of providing a separate set of tires. I think the 69 Corvair was available with that amongst others. I'm wondering if that's what you have there?

These would mount over the vinyl tires provided and be held by the wheel, since the back half of the wheel would tie to the vinyl tire. Not very convincing up close even when painted.

Thanks to all for your answers. Unfortunately I'm a old fart at age 66, and not really into the new electronics to scan the parts. They possibly could be the front wheels to a drag car? I pretty sure it dates back to the MPC days, when the boxes were packed with all those extras. I'm hoping one of our fellow modeler's or collectors will come up with the solution.

Only problem with you'r theroy Gerry is those kits were originally MPC,, not AMT.

Steve,

Only problem with your rebuttal is that the AMT/Ertl '67 GTO is in fact, an old MPC tool--it was reissued in 1985 by MPC/Fundimensions, for example.

I suspect those tires may well be left over in the tool from the body shell's funny car days--MPC did that a lot back in the late 60's.

Biscuitbuilder

Edited by Biscuitbuilder

Yea Art ,, I think that's what I said in the post ,, originally MPC. The original '72 DID have 2-peice plastic slicks but used stock vinyl one for the front ,,, I hadn't thought of the funnycar issues though, that would probably explain it.

BTW , , Didn't know MPC OR GTOs were around in the late '50's. :P

(Note to self: NEVER reply to a message board before 6am, and NEVER without having at least a full pot of coffee!) :D

Biscuitbuilder