Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16th Amt 1984 Petty Grand Prix

David Thibodeau

I always wondered how the amt 1/16th kits were. This one was sent by the same client I did the 73 1/16th charger for... This kit was pure hassle from the time I opened the box! Lots of mods to make it look "decent" especially the stance. Built boxstock with PPG Petty blue, sem stoplight red, and dupont clear with slixx decals........ glad it is done!!

DaveT

P1010057-vi.jpg

P1010058-vi.jpg

P1010059-vi.jpg

P1010060-vi.jpg

P1010061-vi.jpg

P1010062-vi.jpg

P1010063-vi.jpg

P1010064-vi.jpg

P1010056-vi.jpg

I was just asking you about this one Dave! Looks great! Funny you mentioned the suspension because I was nervous about that. I was thinking of building mine with the wheels off and detailing the brakes and such, just to avoid the ride height!

Yours, as always, looks top notch!!!

Jamie

Thanks Guys....

Jamie...... its quite an undertaking to get the stance right.. I would like to pick up the T-bird just out of curiosity.....

Man this part of this board is FREAKIN DEAD!!!!! Guess I better get on my 49 merc...... ;)

DaveT

HAHAHA! Yeah I was thinking of brushing off my Rat Rod the other day. A nice shade of primer should get them looking here... ;)

I'm really tempted to get the Ford too......But I bought a set of Wrangler Decals off that site I told you about. $44.... But they are in scale and I REALLY didn't feel like building a STP car. No offense...lol

Edited by jamie

HAHAHA! Yeah I was thinking of brushing off my Rat Rod the other day. A nice shade of primer should get them looking here... ;)

I'm really tempted to get the Ford too......But I bought a set of Wrangler Decals off that site I told you about. $44.... But they are in scale and I REALLY didn't feel like building a STP car. No offense...lol

BELIEVE ME, I am all STP'ed out!!! ;)

I hope they dont bleed too bad on you... good luck dude!!! An earnhardt build on that thing should look sick!!

Edited by David Thibodeau

That looks great, Dave, as usual. About 2 years ago I was given a Ford that's complete, but I have no usuable decals to put on it....been wanting to build it since. Way back on BAD when I was looking for photos of the #64 Sunny King Ford car, I had a guy that was supposedly willing to make me some decals, but never heard from him again.

• 7 years later...

I don't know if anyone is even reading or responding to this thread anymore, but I was just able to score all 4 of the AMT 1/16 NASCAR kits on eBay for $100 (with free shipping). Each was factory sealed and I'm still surprised that I was the only one to bid on them! That aside, I'd love to know what specifically causes the ride height issues and what I should focus on to try to correct them. Thanks!

- Dan

I don't know if anyone is even reading or responding to this thread anymore, but I was just able to score all 4 of the AMT 1/16 NASCAR kits on eBay for $100 (with free shipping). Each was factory sealed and I'm still surprised that I was the only one to bid on them! That aside, I'd love to know what specifically causes the ride height issues and what I should focus on to try to correct them. Thanks!

- Dan

You will have to work the front suspesion components to lower the stance, also the roll cage assembly have to be worked over not only to get the correct fit, but also profile inside the body. The body on these kits are usualy thick, and the contours usualy have to be massage to get a more correct look. The Petty car you see at the thread had a TON and half of work done to it to make it look that good, out of the box/built stock these models look more like toys than scale model cars, but with work...a LOT of work they do have potential as evidence of the great Petty/STP model shown here.

Thanks for the response. I saw a build up of the same car on another site and the ride height was terrible. At least now I know what to look out for.

You will have to work the front suspesion components to lower the stance, also the roll cage assembly have to be worked over not only to get the correct fit, but also profile inside the body. The body on these kits are usualy thick, and the contours usualy have to be massage to get a more correct look. The Petty car you see at the thread had a TON and half of work done to it to make it look that good, out of the box/built stock these models look more like toys than scale model cars, but with work...a LOT of work they do have potential as evidence of the great Petty/STP model shown here.

Oops, I was logged in under a profile that I never use and created in error. Thanks for the info, Fred. Do you know if the same problems exist with the two Thunderbird kits?

Yes, you will have more or less the same problems with the Fords kits. in fact the body will need a LOT of attention  to get a correct....in my VERY personal opinion...profile and look. The Thunderbird I did years ago had a lot of flash oh the rollcage pieces and some pieces where warped, and those are quite thick! Again this is my very personal opinion and experience building...long ago...these kits, but I belive every kit have potential so with patience and work they can look very nice as a representative piece.

Yes, you will have more or less the same problems with the Fords kits. in fact the body will need a LOT of attention  to get a correct....in my VERY personal opinion...profile and look. The Thunderbird I did years ago had a lot of flash oh the rollcage pieces and some pieces where warped, and those are quite thick! Again this is my very personal opinion and experience building...long ago...these kits, but I belive every kit have potential so with patience and work they can look very nice as a representative piece.

Well, I'll be going in prepared now, so hopefully I can overcome these issues. I like the large scale and clearly, if the kit is done right, it makes a nice looking model. Thanks for the info!

• 1 month later...