86 replies to this topic

#21 LUKE'57

LUKE'57

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:01 AM

Now that's beginning to come together. With the exception of that blue beetle out front and the fancy Eye-talyun car inside., it reminds me of any of the busy fifties or early sixties speedshops I've seen. Take it out for a walk and get some sunshine pics and I think you'll be one proud pappa.

#22 Mike Whatshisname

Mike Whatshisname

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:52 AM

Beautiful job of weathering Tony!

#23 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts
  • Full Name:Tony

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:50 AM

Thanks again for the comments, Mike and Jerry...LUKE57 - Just got my Apr 'that other mag'-congrats on the photo!
I'm planning on taking it for a walk as you said...right now I've still got 2-3 feet of snow on the ground in the yard. As soon as I can set up a convenient place in the sun, I will! I've got an idea where I'd like to set it up for photos, but I can't get there from here!

George-As for the cinder blocks...I printed them out (the bricks too) from a dollhouse site, 1/2 inch scale... http://www.printmini...tables/ph.shtml just scroll down to the wallpaper and flooring. I printed 3 sheets, then cut out the blocks and interlocked them where I needed to join them (that way I didn't cut any blocks in half, just at the outter sides, which I covered with trim anyways). Minimally visible, and looks a bit like a stress crack in the cement between them. Just sparingly used white glue on the back. Too much (like I did in a couple of spots), and it wrinkles. I'd probably use slightly diluted glue next time.

Plans are to narrow the yellow 'safety path', and define the 'footsteps' a bit. The rest of the side and back walls may come eventually, as might a roof, but not sure yet. I've got a tire rack to finish (the orange and purple sprue thing), and I may start on the office walls...not to mention the gravel for the parking lot...the ballast may have to wait, as it was a bit priceier than I thought at my LHS. Will keep an eye out for cheaper alternatives...sand maybe? No rush. I might try to add an exterior light fixture or two, but again, no rush...not to mention a workbench, and a couple of tool boxes, and maybe a hoist...the sky is the limit!

Edited by Tony T, 04 April 2008 - 03:54 AM.

#24 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:56 AM

Have done a bit of work on the shop over the past while...

Narrowed the width of the safety path lines, and defined the foot prints, and finished the tire rack...
Posted Image
Posted Image

Added a bit of a land mark for the roof...
Posted Image

The Shop is busy today...
Posted Image

Posted Image

And after a long day...
Posted Image

We're closed...
Posted Image

#25 Guest_Gramps-xrds_*

Guest_Gramps-xrds_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:44 AM

It's looking better every time I see it Tony. I think I'm starting to like doing things like this better than the actual models. lol

#26 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:29 PM

Thanks, Bill...It has been fun, and a nice "change of pace" build. Thing is, these can sure take up room...lol! Now, I just have to have the weather cooperate long enough to get it outside for some photography!

#27 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:30 AM

http://smg.photobuck...Shop/?start=all
Photobucket album with all my Speed Shop photos...including these I took today...outside in the sunshine!!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#28 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:31 AM

A few more...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Original releases, as built at the time...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Tony T, 17 April 2008 - 09:33 AM.

#29 Guest_Gramps-xrds_*

Guest_Gramps-xrds_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:49 AM

Looks good enough to be real Tony. Now that it's finished do you have that erge to do more or another one ? I know when I finish one, I think, boy I'd like to do this or that next. But then they do take up a lot of room.

#30 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:35 PM

The only thing that is really finished, Bill, is the front facade...Last night I extended the side walls, and started to work on a removeable back wall...and I want to make a removeable flat roof...I also want to fence at least one side, maybe both...not sure what size of fence...maybe a post sign...then there is some interior stuff, like work benches, tool boxes...and other garage stuff. So, while it is a useable photographic backdrop, I'll have lots to do before I say "It's finished"!! Will help to keep the car projects going, as it will give me a diversion if I get stuck, so I can do something on the shop, then get back to the car. At least that is the plan!!

#31 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:42 PM

Have been working at a back wall...I'm liking it...also made a cardboard removeable roof...ripe for details, like vents, and HVAC...I couldn't help myself... :wub:

#32 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:45 PM

I haven't posted an update in a while, but I've been doing little things to the dio...Added an access ladder to the roof, natural gas line, back wall extensions outside to either side of the building, and popsicle stick fences up along both sides. Also a few sticks of paper furniture. I'll have to grab a couple of pictures...Looks alright to me!

#33 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:54 AM

Here are some update photos:
Roof access ladder, and natural gas meter/line on the side
Posted Image

Removable rear wall, and removable beams-also some additional wall posters, and paper furniture.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Popsicle stick fence, on both sides. Stained with leftover maple stain. I like how it came out, actually. Bit too new looking, though...
Posted Image

Enjoy

#34 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • Full Name:Ed Shaver

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:39 PM

Tony, this is only a sugestion but I use Plastikote Fleck Stone paint as it simulates the look of Stucco almost to a "T " Ed Shaver

#35 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 03:32 PM

Thanks, Ed. I'll have to remember that. Good tip.

#36 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:49 AM

Just thought I'd try out my light for photos inside. Not as good as sunshine, but the ice and cold now is a bit limiting - I don't want to lug the dio outside in the cold! I moved my dio to a different location in my workshop, and set the light above. I can move the light a bit for variety, and need to come up with a backdrop, other than the white paper. Anyways, here's the latest resto from the shop, a 60s VW V-8 Gasser (built-up bought off that auction site, along with a 65 Chevelle wagon and a trailer).

Posted Image

#37 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:16 PM

Well, Mr. Rusty's Speed Shop finally ponied up for a tow truck. Here it is. (99 Silverado Custom, Midnight Cowboy, and parts box wheels)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#38 disabled modeler

disabled modeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:43 AM

Hi Tony...Nice work! I like it.

#39 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:16 AM

Thank you, Mark!

#40 Guest_Gramps-xrds_*

Guest_Gramps-xrds_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:54 AM

There's always something else you want to keep adding, but at some point you just gotta say "That's enough" lol. But it never is. I've added little things to mine and still haven't said it's done. I finally got some signage for it but haven't added it yet so I guess their always a work in progress.