Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1969 Camaro If I Had A 1:1...

John E. Bowers Jr.

This is one I finished up about 5 years ago. It is a conversion from a Z/28 to an SS396 using an engine from the Monogram 1967 Corvette. Paint is two base coats of Testors M-M Chrome Silver followed by 12 or 13 (can't remember) thin coats of Testors rattle can Transparent Candy Apple Red decanted and thinned for airbrushing, and finilized with 6 coats of Colors by Boyd High gloss clear, again airbrushed. The engine has been detailed with such things as .020 stainless steel safety wire for the fuel lines, .018 silver solder for the brake lines out of the master cylnder resivior, and a throttle return spring from, umm I don't know. Alclad II finish on the valve covers and headers and some mods to fit the exahust The rest of the kit is essentionally box stock with an exception for a MCG p/e kit which was a godsend.

CamaroSS2-1.jpg

CamaroSS1.jpg

Camarossenginedetail1.jpg

Some of you have already seen these pictures and some of you have seen this model in person, but it is the one that I am the most proud of so (so far). I thank you for looking again.

J.B (AKA Likittysplit)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wooa......Hey John, I like this very much. B)

As has been stated several times here, if it weren't for the fact she's sitting on a 1:1 hood..........very hard to pick as a model.

I love your motor conversion, it looks so right. Paint is flawless as well. :)

You have every right to be very proud of this build mate.

Cheers

Greg

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the pats on the back, guys! this was a fun build and I cant wait to show it at the Mid Atlantic NNL. I'm new to competition and a little insecure. There are some fierce builders out there!!!

Hello John. Do'nt worry about putting that car in any contest it look's like a winner.I use to think the same way about my models compared to others. My first show was an NNL , I did'nt win anything. I did however get a photo of my camaro taken by the other magizine to be entered in a nationwide top 10 camaro's 40year anniversry issue.And my camaro maid top10. That to me is better than any trofhy. But most of all the people you meet are the best part of the shows. Earl Miller

• 1 month later...

Thanks Earl, I didn't see your post until today. The Camaro did go on to win the 'Replica Stock' catagory, which is a huge honor for me because it is the very first "Harry Charon Memorial Award". I also had another of my models photographed by "the other" and that was a thrill but I have no idea if or when it will get printed.

Edited by John E. Bowers Jr.