Model Cars Magazine Forum

Question for Everyone

Someone else is making one now also,,,I think it's the same company that makes the Bronco funny car body but I really couldn't sat for shure.

A/FX N Scale Resin has the Broncos.

Funny Car version:

Bronco%20Buster.jpg

Stock version:

Stock%20Bronco%20with%20chassis.jpg

The drag version sells for $25 and the stock version is $40. http://www.afxnscaleresin.150m.com/ and click the "Resin Bodies" hyperlink.

• 5 weeks later...
Speaking of resin parts...I'm looking for a teardrop hood for a 65-66 Mustang. Can anybody point me in the right direction? I know I could convert a flat Mustang hood with a couple different resin teardrop castings I know of but at my age I'm getting really lazy...

BC

PSF Hobbies has a nice one. You can go to www.psfhobbies.com to order.

Thanks Marc...

I checked it out and I'll be ordering one next week.

I'm always hearing folks talking about the "Golden Era" for this hobby as the 1960s etc. Even though this hobby isn't enjoying the popularity it once did, for me this is the Golden Era and I don't mean because I've been envolved with models for over 50 years. When I reflect on the things I take for granted in my modeling today, I shutter to think what things would be like if I had to do without resin parts, photo-etch, custom decals, dozens of wheels and tires to choose from, custom mixed paints, not to overlook complete resin kits of subjects never seen in plastic and BareMetal Foil plus chrome replating and Alclad. Add to that, Forums like this one and I just can't imagine how it could get any better...at least for me. What do you think? Are there two Golden Ages? One era better than another and for what reasons?

BC

I must agree that this is a golden age of the "mature" hobby; I too would be lost w/o the huge variety of subject matter from all over the world in both mass-produced and the cottage industry, and to the newer products/technologies that help to build the models, and the instant gratification of sharing our work and tips and techniques on boards like this. Modeling isn't a great vacuum of solitude that it once was. The only downside to the internet is it's ability to take time away from the modelkng activity we're discussing if we let it.

Now, back to my resin '70 AMX that continues to defy me :roll: :(

Hi Bob...

My first exposure to model building was when I was maybe 7-8. The older guys on the other side of my aunt's family were trying to carve Packards and XK-120 Jags out of blocks of balsa wood. If you had a good eye for shapes and contours and were handy with a pocket knife it turned out acceptable. Most of the time all the finished models seemed to me to look like 49-50 Kaiser-Frasers.

When heated conversations focus on diecast stuff, I remember the reactions of the older guys when the first plactic kits came out. It goes something like this..."Pastic? They make kids toys outa plastic. I'll never build anything made outa plastic". Does this sound a bit like..."Diecast? They make diecast toys for kids. I'm never building anything diecast".

I've always said the first person to document the cutting, chopping etc. of a Zamac body (and the putting of the pieces back together again) will change the thinking about diecast forever.

BC

I was born in '70 and started with snap kits around 1976 and glue kits in 1978. This is definitely a golden age, compared to then, IMHO...the wide availability of new tooling and reissues, online point-and-click ordering, lots of aftermarket parts, easy availability of imported kits online, ebay for old kits, etc...

• 4 weeks later...

Bill ever see what some of the Hot Wheels guys do to those cars in 1/64th scale? Also on the same note, Jada toys website has a section for custom diecasts so I think the talent is there but to many people get negative about diecasts and they keep to themselves. I admit I'm more into the plastic but I wouldn't mind trying to detail a diecast if I found one I really liked.

Hi Mike...

I agree. There are some amazing things being done in many non-traditional venues in this hobby of ours. Though like many of us, most all of my building happens with plastic or resin, I don't get the rage against anything that isn't either of these. Being creative and using one's imagination I thought was the backbone of this hobby. I for one have never liked the cookie-cutter approach. Don't we all like to set something out on the show table that's just a bit different than everything else there?

I remember one year at the NNL in Toledo a fella brought in the most eye-appealing Lincoln custom on a flat bed truck. I'm not sure what the scale was but the concept and execution was absolutely first rate. He told me he had been less than welcome at some model car shows. It seems some folks didn't consider his work modeling. Yes, he had started with what had originally been old stamped metal toys. Bu, what do we all consider to be "real" modeling?

BC

i got somewhat the same reaction when i brought some fairly well modified vintage dinky toys to a model show one time. i had lowered and painted a 50s land speed record car and done some metal crafting and shaping on it as well as removing seam lines etc. no one seemed to appreciate it much. oh well, it looks good on the shelf. some folks got small minds i guess. its one thing to try and get over with a stock diecast but if you ask me it becomes modelling when you start applying your imagination and modify it in a meaningful way.

some dont seem to love slot cars either, even when youve taken pains to create realistic ones with some amount of detailing.

• 2 months later...

I've been cutting up plastic and wrinkling my nose at tha glue smell since '58-9 Bill. I agree with yu, that tha so-called "Good Old Days" was like living in tha Stone Age. Imagine, for yu younger guys, trying to find a Coping Saw blade that was thin enuff to cut doors open with. Man when Auto World Catalogs finally found their way "overseas" I was in Hog Heaven.....real "SMALL" tools.