8 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Kitchen

Ken Kitchen

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:38 AM

Ok, so I admit that I know nothing about this area of modeling. What I do know is that this car ran an early Ford 6. And for some reason people assume that I know all about every car that ran one. I've had several people ask me this question. So if you can help me help them I would most certainly appreciate it.

The question most often asked is what was the CI of this car? The one in the black and white photo. I believe based on the time it ran that it most probably had the Ford big 6, the 240/300. But was that true and if so which one was it. You can tell there is a marking on the hood in this photo but that's all.

Posted Image

#2 bigphoto

bigphoto

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:24 PM

Actually it probably ran a 170, 200 or 250 cid or a remote chance a 223 (not likely this one).

Also by SR's are you refering to Dale sr.

#3 Ken Kitchen

Ken Kitchen

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:00 AM

Actually it probably ran a 170, 200 or 250 cid or a remote chance a 223 (not likely this one).

Also by SR's are you refering to Dale sr.

Unfortunately I'm just the messenger passing on what was asked of me. I do believe they were refereing to Dale Sr. As to the car it's my understanding it was campaigned in the early 70's. From other sources I've been told that the popular engine in that class was the 240/300. However if they were required to run stock engines I agree that it would have been the smaller 6.

Take care,

#4 bigphoto

bigphoto

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 08:48 PM

Where did the pic in the background come from?

#5 Ken Kitchen

Ken Kitchen

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 01:20 AM

Where did the pic in the background come from?

It was passed to me by someone who is trying to find out all he can about the car. Other than that I have no idea.

#6 Kenny

Kenny

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Full Name:Ken Hertzel

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:17 AM

Posted Image

If you zoom in on the hood the markings look to start with a "2". 235? 255?

#7 Ken Kitchen

Ken Kitchen

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:27 AM

Posted Image

If you zoom in on the hood the markings look to start with a "2". 235? 255?

Hey that helps a lot. I passed the info on the the guy that asked me. Maybe it's the 250 which was the last gen of the 144 engine introduced in 1960.

Thanks, Ken

#8 Guest_zebm1_*

Guest_zebm1_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:37 PM

I'd bet that the engine in that Falcon was a 7 main bearing 200 c.i. engine, because the 250 c.i. - 7 main bearing block had serious problems for oval racing. The 250's taller deck and longer stroke are a disadvantage because they limit revs. Risk of engine failure becomes higher with the 250. Aside from the seven main bearing design, the 200ci six is virtually identical to the 144 and 170ci sixes. Which alleviates clearance problems with the hood on a 60-63 Ford Falcon. Tha 250/300 series went into big Fords, trucks and vans....lots of torque, but tha highest I ever heard of one of these engines run was 7,000 rpm and into dangerous break tha rods territory....they also had problems with tha timing gears, IIRC that camshaft gear was a fiber gear...so ifn yu spun that gear at high rpms....chunks...... my Dad's F-150/240 spun it's cam gear twice....luckily at low rpms...engine just went whuff...and we coasted to a stop. :D

Edited by zebm1, 16 June 2008 - 05:40 PM.

#9 Ken Kitchen

Ken Kitchen

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:10 AM

I'd bet that the engine in that Falcon was a 7 main bearing 200 c.i. engine, because the 250 c.i. - 7 main bearing block had serious problems for oval racing. The 250's taller deck and longer stroke are a disadvantage because they limit revs. Risk of engine failure becomes higher with the 250. Aside from the seven main bearing design, the 200ci six is virtually identical to the 144 and 170ci sixes. Which alleviates clearance problems with the hood on a 60-63 Ford Falcon. Tha 250/300 series went into big Fords, trucks and vans....lots of torque, but tha highest I ever heard of one of these engines run was 7,000 rpm and into dangerous break tha rods territory....they also had problems with tha timing gears, IIRC that camshaft gear was a fiber gear...so ifn yu spun that gear at high rpms....chunks...... my Dad's F-150/240 spun it's cam gear twice....luckily at low rpms...engine just went whuff...and we coasted to a stop. :)

Thanks for the additional input. I'll pass it on to the guy who was looking for it.