Jump to content


Cleaning and prepping questions on Resin


  • You cannot reply to this topic
20 replies to this topic

#21 billd64

billd64

    MCM Regular

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Location:Hudson Valley, New York

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:46 PM

Years ago, i found that Mr. Muscle oven cleaner, and dawn dish detergent worked better then easy off oven cleaner, then I was turned on to letting it soak in brake fluid overnite, (older resins didnt like brake fluid as much) and then recently learned of castrol engine degreaser which I havent tried yet.

Im tryin gto rehab an orange blossom II, and wish I hadnt bought the ###### thing..... im tired of building anythign old/decent, and being forced to pay outlandish prices.... its nothing more then greed.... I found irony in people and what they charged prior to model king dm 600. or monogram repop of 1926 mack trucks.... almost time to sell my stuff, and find a new hobby. I realize economy elevates the cost of things, but greed is worse then living with memory or economy at times

More Updates:

The Modelhaus Chevy body is covered in Easy Off, & I'll check it in the morning.

The 57 Safari? Well, I kinda wish I hadn't cleaned it up! :blink: :o :P :lol:

It's inside roof is full of pinholes, there are huge voids in the inner fenders, firewall, & molded in front pan, more pinholes everywhere, & there is a lot of ###### around & under the hood, on the lower edges of the body, on the body sides, & around all the window frames to be cleaned up. A lot of the molded in details are less than distinct, (as in so faint that they are unrecognizable), such as the windshield wipers & cowl vent. The latter is especially bad, looking like it was very crudely hand scribed, then filled in with thick primer until it has no crispness left.

I'm going to have to replace the inner fenders & firewall with ones from another kit or scratchbuild some, carefully remove the wipers & substitute PE parts there, very carefully Dremel out the molded in head lights & put in replacements, see what I can do as to the cowl vent, do a lot of scribing, putty & styrene work, & fill numerous voids & pinholes just to get the body presentable.

Given my limited experience with resin, right now this one is going back in the box, until my abilities & comfort level with resin have improved, as fixing it's many defects is admittedly beyond my abilities at this point, & I don't want to mess it up or get too frustrated. This kit is even rougher than I first thought.

It will be built, just not right now!

;)