Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hey Luke '57

Guest zebm1

Guest zebm1

I did some checking... seems that you know the older Steve Davis...who sells Inshorance. The Steve Davis that I know used to be the Gas/Catch Can Man - Pit Crew on Dale Jarrett's NASCAR racers..... he was there during this Win, 1999 Pepsi 400 .....

8416718.jpg

Steve had to quit, due to his Mother's failing health in 01/02. Steve's primary business is in selling and installing steel metal out buildings, but his true hearthrob is his side business - Steve's Antique Auto & Cycle Co. on Dell Wood Rd. in Waynesville, NC. My bro, Bearbutt, got the pleasure of actually shaking DJ's hand over at Steve shop a coupla weeks after DJ retired, says he hasn't washed that hand yet...... :blink:

Next time your up that-a-ways, stop by and say Hi, tell Steve that Zeb, Mark's bro, sent ya. :rolleyes:

Now you don't really think that if I knew an insurance salesman that I would admit it do you? LOL

The Steve Davis I know is from Monroe NC and builds dirt track race cars and still drives at the local dirt tracks here.

Seems like Dale is the same kind of guy his dad is and surrounds himself with quality people. Good to know that some things (especially the good ones) never change.

I'll take you up on that invite some time if I ever get that far away from home again. Four dollar gas and forty year old Fords keep me kinda close to home lately. LOL

Guest zebm1

Ifn you make it up to Steve's, ask him to give you tha Bus Stop Tour.....he has a lot of really kool automotive iron....and Jags....more Jags than I've ever seen in one place ever.....he had a deal with a guy down in Daytona, guy used to pull tha stock Jag engines and swap in Chubby SBs,,,,, Steve picked up all those motors for peanuts...... :lol:

Cool, that sounds like a fun road trip. You wouldn't think an old dirt dobber like me would enjoy that would you? One of the first cars I remember wanting as a teenager was a Jaguar. Must have been that ad in Car & Driver magazine with that XKE setting in the tall grass with that long legged girl with the short dress on beside it. I guess I figured if it was alright for a good ol' boy from Memphis (Elvis) to sing about then it was OK for a circle burner like me to fantasize about. LOL

Guest zebm1

Ifn you want a 1:1 XKE hobby car Luke, go see Steve....he' got about a dozen and older ones as well. ;) Gave bearbutt a Jag XJS for a hobby car....V12 ....etc. :lol:

Guest zebm1

UhOH....another street Nascar hot rod? Whose? Fast Freddie? Ned Jarrett? Cumon Luke, spill tha beans.... :rolleyes:

an' I don't mean Hot Air..... :blink:

Edited by zebm1

Not an exact replica of a real car but more like what I would have had if I was there.

Always liked the Junior Johnson based Ned Arp car in "Redline 7000" and I really like yellow race cars so it'll probably have one of these two sponsors of mine and Speedway Photo Service (my old racetrack photography business that my son resurected the name for a couple of seasons ago and uses for real now) on the other side.

64ford27keeperC.jpg

64ford27softedge.jpg

Guest zebm1

I like tha Horsepower stuff on tha hoods....that's what ol' Jack Lamphier always did.....said he liked to keep tha competition guessing... :lol:

That was the last year of the advertised horsepower ratings on the hoods, Nascar went to cubic inches in '65. That '64 427 might have been rated at 410 horsepower from the factory but after Tommy Turner, Larry Wallace and Ralph Moody got finished with it that 4 was probably closer to a 5!