4 replies to this topic

#1 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 07:57 AM

This morning to get a break from building, I decided to take a trip about 10 miles from me to Hershey, PA and check out their car museum.

They had a display of some absolutely gorgeous '50's cars that some I haven't been close to since I was a kid! The display was called "Fins! The Rise and Fall of The American Tailfin." It featured cars from 1948-1961, although the bulk of what I seen and took pics of were from the mid and late '50's.

There was also a vintage Cadillac display outside on the museum grounds......I snagged a few pics of my favorites-----but with a 90­°+ temps in the blazing sun, I got inside as quick as I could! :lol:

Here's a taste of what was there..............

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Some of the inside pics were not as good as I liked due to the lighting being a bit too dark in spots for my digicam. But I've got some definite inspiration for some future builds! Some of the cars were parked where I couldn't get decent front end shots but they were gorgeous just the same! :lol:

Click on the link below to check out the rest!

FINS!!

#2 James W

James W

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Full Name:James

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:06 AM

Nice shots Bill. Thanks for posting them.

Any info on the cream and black show car? It looks kind of like a Desoto at the rear.

#3 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:03 AM

Any info on the cream and black show car? It looks kind of like a Desoto at the rear.

Thanks James!

You mean this one? :lol:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

That was another of my favorites! :lol:

The car is a 1958 Chrysler Dual Ghia Coupe Prototype. It has the big 392 Hemi in it, and is definitely one of a kind! It's built on a '58 Chrysler 300 chassis. The car looks fantastic, but somehow the roofline doesn't seem to go with the rest of the car. Slimmer C pillars or a wraparound backlite might have seemed more suitable.

You don't know how bad I wanted to pop open the hood and take some pics of that motor! It was tempting being out there in the open and all! :lol:

This is tempting to build in scale maybe using the '57 Chrysler 300 as a start, and making it a convertible?...........hmmmm......... ;)

Edited by MrObsessive, 12 July 2008 - 11:14 AM.

#4 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • Full Name:Ed Shaver

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:52 AM

Bill, you're 10 miles from Hershey, I envy ya I remember when I lived in Dallas being able to pick up a water pump or two for a Flat Head Ford, but no more, thanks for the pictures, someday I too will visit Hershey. Ed Shaver

#5 James W

James W

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Full Name:James

Posted 13 July 2008 - 03:32 AM

This is tempting to build in scale maybe using the '57 Chrysler 300 as a start, and making it a convertible?...........hmmmm......... :)

Go for it Bill, you could do it justice.

Thanks for the info, I'm a fan of those old showcars, but only know bits and pieces.