#21 steamboy

steamboy

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Full Name:Clint Williams

Posted 07 October 2007 - 10:23 AM

I have an OLD RONCO (tinted clear plastic) and have had great luck with it. I keep the vent wide open (4 I think) and have never had warpage issues. I checked the temp some time ago but cant recall, seems it was just above 100*. I only have 2 trays, one of which is only a ring. The other will be replaced soon, it is missing about 25% of its grid also. The plastic is getting too old and brittle. I plan to make a new tray grid out of something like expanded metal or aluminum, and extend the bottom tray/ring with aluminum sides to lift the lid alittle higher from the painted parts.

With enamels, I keep them in around 24hrs, let them cool down for an hour and then they are usually ready to go. Laquers only need a short time in the heat and the cool down period.

Good Luck!

#22 flatheadgary

flatheadgary

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 05:40 PM

see, i new if i prompted you guys, you'd give us the goods. thanks alot for clearing this up for us. what is it they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words". i had been wondering how all this was done. now i know. thanks

#23 MikeMc

MikeMc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:10 AM

Lots of help guys!!!Thanx!! I found my Ronco gets up to 135 by itself. I made a "dimmer box" and dropped the voltage down so my temp is about 105 Three hours later and the lacquer smells dry..and even sanded correctly!! This is a better tool than my airbrushes!!!

WHAT A GREAT FORUM!!!! Mike McElligott

Edited by MikeMc, 08 October 2007 - 05:11 AM.

#24 bigmikevee

bigmikevee

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Full Name:Ma-Ma-Ma....Mike Verona

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:01 PM

Hello all,

I have been trying to find a food dehydrator for fighting the humidity and drying times in my neck of the woods. I had someone tell me awhile back to get one with both a fan and adjustable thermostat. Not finding a unit with both features, any recommendations?

Thanks. Mike

#25 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,150 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:16 PM

This one. Relatively inexpensive (usually less than $30-40), available at places such as the WallyMart, etc.

MVC001S-vi.jpg

#26 Joker

Joker

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • Full Name:James Scott

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:31 PM

hey Mike ...
I used to live on Miller St.
Near the Boardwalk
in Kemah about 14 years ago.
Went to the model shows on
Nasa Rd One.
BTW..get a dehydrator
with a fan and temp setter!
This could happen to your build.
before
Posted Image
after
Posted Image
I took a nap...

later James aka Joker

Edited by kit bash, 25 May 2010 - 03:35 PM.

#27 crispy

crispy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:25 PM

I concur with Dan.That is probably the best one on the market now. I've had mine for 5 years now. Works beautifully.
Chris

#28 Pete J.

Pete J.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts
  • Full Name:Pete Johnson

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:43 PM

Ronco 5 tray food dehydrator. You can get them at Target, Kmart, Walgreen's, Amazon you name it. Get the 5 tray and not the 3. Very simple, vents at the top control temperature, nothing else to do but plug it in. Real consistent temperature. I have had mine for 12 years and never melted or damaged anything.

The reason I like mine is that I have cut the bottoms of the top three trays for additional height and left a partial tray on one of them to give me a shelf for double height. I use mine to keep the rattle cans I use the most hot. Even on the hottest setting I've never had a problem and mine is in the garage in So Cal so we get hot weather. Best of all, at $39 it is very inexpensive. If this one ever gives out, I will buy another.

#29 Abell82

Abell82

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • Full Name:Jason

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:05 PM

Why not just make your own?
There are TON"S of DIY's articles on making Dehydrators on the net. Personally I think the DIY's for making an egg incubator would actually work best. As they are designed for maximum adjustability.
The benefit to making your own, is that you can make it as big or small as you want. Just a thought.

#30 LOBBS

LOBBS

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Full Name:Kyle "LOBBS" Laubscher

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:21 PM

This one.

I agree here, I'm on my second. The first one got dropped hard in a move and never worked right again. The trays were fine so I've got 8 on the new one. 4 have the centers cut out so I can put bodies and assemblies in and 4 are as delivered for holding individual parts.

#31 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,269 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:08 AM

How long do you keep a model in one of those things?

#32 Zoom Zoom

Zoom Zoom

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:50 AM

Until it's dry.

#33 Pete J.

Pete J.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,773 posts
  • Full Name:Pete Johnson

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:51 AM

Depends on the paint. Lacquers can be done in an hour, enamels and acrylics a couple of hours, if I am layering the paint. Final before polishing is always over night.

#34 crispy

crispy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 02:27 PM

Until it's dry.

:D :lol: :D :D :D

#35 pharr7226

pharr7226

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • Full Name:Rick

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:33 AM

Ronco 5 tray food dehydrator

I have the same dehydrator and it works well for me. As Pete J. noted the temperature is controlled by vents in the top. I can determine the temperature with a digital thermometer. You might be better off with a model that has a dial that allows you to regulate the temperature with some precision. I got mine for a great price... free ;) But, if I were to purchase a new one, I would definitely get one with temperature dial.

#36 charlzrocks

charlzrocks

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:00 PM

My RONCO food dehydrator makes AWESOME beef jerky! :lol: It was inexpensive and easy to use and clean! :lol:

#37 Hawk312

Hawk312

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Full Name:David Eicherly

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:53 PM

I just painted a competition resins body. I am also impatient. Can these bodies be placed in the oven for curing in the same manner as a styrene body, which can handle temps up to 120?
Thanks!

#38 MikeMc

MikeMc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:42 PM

Quick answer....no.....you will distort most bodies at 120...I feel safe at 100 - 105 with styrene, and I would not trust resin due to differing thicknesses of the pour in the mold

#39 Bruce Poage

Bruce Poage

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:33 PM

I have good and bad experience with resin in a dehydrator. The temp is very important and 120 is too warm. My problem was putting too much stress on the resin body while drying. I am referring to the rack you are using to support the bod while in the cooker. Be sure the rack is pressure neutral when drying.

#40 jeffb

jeffb

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:23 AM

i dont recomend it for my resin