6 replies to this topic

#1 Ray

Ray

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 September 2006 - 06:39 AM

The picture is kinda crappy but you get the idea. Worked awesome after primer. Hopefully after paint I get the same results.

Posted Image

#2 Billy Kingsley

Billy Kingsley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
  • Full Name:Billy

Posted 05 September 2006 - 02:01 PM

I've been doing this lately too...I had some problems with it when I first tried it out, but I think now I've got it. I used to leave too much BMF, and you could see the outlines under the paint. Not now, though!

It especially works great for what you did, the letters on the tail panel. I did two Pontiacs with that, and it was a real life saver!! Might have the 69 Firebird done this week, too.

#3 Mad Modeler

Mad Modeler

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Full Name:Tony James

Posted 09 September 2006 - 08:59 AM

Looks good to me. Gotta give this a try myself.

#4 Ray

Ray

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:30 AM

Thanks, the paint is a little more stubborn to off. The primer came of easily but i'm having to really use some elbow grease to get the paint off. Still looks way better the foiling after though. Will continue to use this trick.

#5 mrglubaum

mrglubaum

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 09:30 AM

That looks great! I've been meaning to try this soon, but I do have a question.

Should the paint be removed from the letters after priming, and again after painting, or is it better to just leave it until the final paint is on to reduce the risk of rubbing through the foil?

#6 Ray

Ray

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 03:01 AM

yeah after priming and after painting. this is how i did it because that is how they say to do it in the tutorial in the tips, tricks section. I guess you could try the other way.

#7 ismaelg

ismaelg

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts
  • Full Name:Ismael E. Gonzalez-Valentin

Posted 10 September 2006 - 04:13 PM

Should the paint be removed from the letters after priming, and again after painting, or is it better to just leave it until the final paint is on to reduce the risk of rubbing through the foil?

Hello,

The reason to do it after primer is that if you do it only after paint, you'll most likely end up with a primer colored edge outline.

Thanks,