#181 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,503 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:31 AM

My preference is caustic soda solution. Takes 'chrome' and varnish off in about 5 to 10 minutes, occasionaly and rarely perhaps 20 minutes max.

My friend from Australia uses this. He said he starts with flakes and mixes the solution.  He was telling me that he tried to get CSC since he saw it on the board. He either wanted to know where to buy it, or what the active ingredients were and what would be the Aussie equivalent. So he called up Castrol in Australia and the folks there hadn't heard of it.  The guy called him back and said no, it wasn't available, and that nothing that caustic would be allowed to be sold in Australia!

#182 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,232 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:58 AM

My preference is caustic soda solution.

This is the same thing as Sodium Hydroxide, NaOH, and is the active ingredient in Easy Off oven cleaner in the yellow can, Dawn Power Dissolver, most drain cleaners, etc.

#183 Jeepgirl

Jeepgirl

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Full Name:Amanda Ferriss

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:16 AM

so, I tried ammonia last night, and bleach. My chrome parts were all very clean...but still chrome. I had a bottle of CLR sitting around and decided to give it a whirl. worked like a charm, and it was the dollar store variety. From the ingredients list, its mostly sodium hydroxide (lye). Its caustic stuff, so you have to glove up, but its pretty cheap and worked well. Took both the chrome, and the undercoating off.

#184 JollySipper

JollySipper

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • Full Name:TJ Charles

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:26 AM

Amanda, as long as you don't mix the ammonia with the bleach!  You could create chlorine gas!!

#185 RadialDragon

RadialDragon

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Full Name:Dennis K

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:42 PM

Super Clean in a purple bottle. Works great, use in ventilated area...

#186 keone2013

keone2013

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Full Name:Keone Lake

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:16 PM

Ok I used the ammonia to remove the chrome. How long do I let it sit? Overnight?

#187 keone2013

keone2013

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Full Name:Keone Lake

Posted 30 November 2013 - 04:32 PM

so, I tried ammonia last night, and bleach. My chrome parts were all very clean...but still chrome. I had a bottle of CLR sitting around and decided to give it a whirl. worked like a charm, and it was the dollar store variety. From the ingredients list, its mostly sodium hydroxide (lye). Its caustic stuff, so you have to glove up, but its pretty cheap and worked well. Took both the chrome, and the undercoating off.

Amanda, how long did you let it sit in the CLR?

#188 mmdm4

mmdm4

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Mason

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:42 AM

:unsure: After soaking all night in Bleche Wite, now made by Black Magic and called new and improved, I still have flecks of chrome on the parts I am trying to strip! I changed the solution once and even brushed the parts with a toothbrush. Any ideas for a different product that will safely do the job?

#189 Erik Smith

Erik Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts
  • Full Name:Erik Smith

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:58 AM

Easy Off. Takes chrome and undercoat off.

#190 thatz4u

thatz4u

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • Full Name:Al Rich

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:08 AM

go to Dollar General get LA Awesome, soak parts for 2 days, chrome gone....less toxic than oven cleaner B)

#191 shucky

shucky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeLuco

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:18 AM

The purple pond. Castrol Super Clean. Strips chrome in less than an hour. Also not kind to skin, so avoid getting your fingers in it. 

#192 Lunajammer

Lunajammer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Laliberte

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:39 AM

Easy Off. Takes chrome and undercoat off.

5-minutes and done. Why dally? (Brutal though, use care).

#193 Zarana-X

Zarana-X

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Smith

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:49 AM

I use normal bleach, chrome is gone in a few mins tops

AMT chrome is normally a bit harder to strip than Revell

Does bleach lose it's "potency"?
I've got 3 old peanut butter jars for stripping paint, DOT 3, Simple Green, and Clorox bleach. I've soaked some AMT parts from the Barris T Buggy for nearly 2 days, chrome wont budge. I've stripped other chrome parts in the same bleach and they were ready in a 1/2 hour - 2 hours tops.

#194 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,503 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

I use Mr Clean kitchen floor cleaner to strip chrome.  It actually smells like lemons. I keep it under the kitchen sink. When I need to strip a bumper I fill a kitchen glass with Mr Clean (lts a lime green clear), drop in the part and leave it until it strips. I'll often just leave it overnight.  Once done, I pull the parts out with my fingers (it's not harsh at all) and wash them off in the sink.  Then I pour the Mr Clean right back in the bottle.

There is no reason to use something industrial strength, industrial smelling and other wise a hazard to human life just to strip a bumper.

#195 youpey

youpey

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Full Name:michael rutan

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:39 PM

probably been mentioned, but i use soda for a couple of days or 3. no smell and dont need to worry about hurting skin

#196 slusher

slusher

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,023 posts
  • Full Name:carl slusher

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:31 PM

The purple pond. Castrol Super Clean. Strips chrome in less than an hour. Also not kind to skin, so avoid getting your fingers in it. 

I bought a strainer at Wal-Mart for 2.50 and never touch parts and rinse. Sit the damp parts paper towels to air dry. I know oven cleaner works but I don't like the fumes. I tend to use purple power for my chrome removal...

#197 blackandwhite

blackandwhite

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Wright

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

Just for the hell of it it tried this stuff out. I have the easy off and it took over night and then some and even then it didn't take off the film beneath the plating.

I did a test piece with this and it was off within minutes with nothing left beneath it. Did a whole 1/12 bike frame in under an hour

Attached Files

#198 StevenGuthmiller

StevenGuthmiller

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Full Name:Steven Wade Guthmiller

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:21 PM

I used to use Easy Off & it does work great, but I got tired of "suiting up" with a mask, gloves etc. everytime I used it. :) Super Clean works just as well, if not better, with a lot less hassle & toxic fumes. & it's completely bio-degradeable, so when it's all used up, (& I use it over & over again) you can just dump it any old place. Now whether or not all of the stripped paint etc. in it is bio-degradeable.......? :mellow:                       steve

#199 Mike_G

Mike_G

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Graves aka "the infamous Captain Reverb"

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:24 AM

I use EZ-off oven cleaner in a plastic bag sealed with the parts inside- no fumes, no mess, no need for gloves.

#200 bobthehobbyguy

bobthehobbyguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Taber

Posted 22 September 2014 - 10:13 AM

Just for the hell of it it tried this stuff out. I have the easy off and it took over night and then some and even then it didn't take off the film beneath the plating.
I did a test piece with this and it was off within minutes with nothing left beneath it. Did a whole 1/12 bike frame in under an hour

Great stuff. Does a great job without the fumes however you really should use gloves when you take the parts out of it.