The Raptor was a tribute to Ed Roth. The thought was "what would Ed build today if he had all the latest materials, engines, wheels, tires...??
From the start, I didn't like to shape of the side window openings on the doors, feeling that they were too tall in the front. With that, I tilted the front of the roof down about 0.05". At the same time, the hood needed a SERIOUS pie cut to get the front of it down where it needed to be. I also added the "spine" on the hood at that time.
Not liking the look of the stock grille opening, even with the custom headlights that match those on the Raptor, it was time graft on the entire custom nose clip from the AMT '50 Ford Convertible onto the truck. That included a bit of reshaping of the front edge of the hood and another piecut. Here's how it looked at that point (the spine on the hood still needed to be replaced):
The problem now with the new front end was that the truck looked too "nose heavy". The front looked like it stuck out too far beyond the wheel opening.
To fix that, I moved the front wheel opening forward 0.20 inches. I also added 0.06" thick styrene to the top and bottom of the running boards to give them a more "modern" look. I'll drill them later to make room for the exhaust outlets.
Here's how it looks now, sitting next to the Raptor.
A bit more body work here and there and this one will be ready for a good coat of primer, followed by the Testors Fathom Green lacquer and the stripes.
I hope to have this one ready for the NNL West in March...
Edited by Raul_Perez, 16 February 2009 - 03:43 PM.