189 replies to this topic

#21 Raul_Perez

Raul_Perez

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:53 PM

Here are a few pics with all of the bodywork done, except for the bed. This is the first real coat of primer I've applied to the body, so there's a bit of sanding and a little bit of putty work left to do before this one sees paint.

The front wheels are mounted on the new front susupension from the '99 Ford SVT Lightning truck. The rear suspension will also come from the Lightning kit, but for these pics the frame is just sitting on the axle.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Here you can clearly see how much better the front end looks with the front wheel openings moved forward 0.20".
Posted Image

While the primer dries I'll get started on the few mods I have in mind for to the bed to keep the rear of the truck aligned with the "Raptor" theme of the matching show car and trailer.

Thanks for looking,

Edited by Raul_Perez, 10 November 2008 - 06:54 PM.

#22 made007

made007

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Full Name:Jose Madera

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:59 PM

what paint color youre gonna use? though of that?

Edited by made007, 10 November 2008 - 07:00 PM.

#23 Raul_Perez

Raul_Perez

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:13 PM

what paint color youre gonna use? though of that?

Jose,
The hauler and the trailer will be painted to match the show car.
Posted Image

It's Testors Fathom Green Metallic with a Testors Phoenican Yellow stripe and black and orange pinstripes.

For the interior, it's Testors Fabric Tan.

Later,

#24 evilone

evilone

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:19 PM

are you going to do the tan top on the truck as well

#25 Raul_Perez

Raul_Perez

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:52 PM

Maybe...but probably not...I'll know better once the truck is painted green...

More than likely, the bed cover will be tan, like the interior, but not the roof.

Later,

#26 gilsdropshop1

gilsdropshop1

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Full Name:Gil Alvarez

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:21 PM

clean set up more pics please!

#27 Clay

Clay

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts
  • Full Name:Clay Jones

Posted 11 November 2008 - 02:55 AM

Here you can clearly see how much better the front end looks with the front wheel openings moved forward 0.20".
Posted Image

Wow Raul, thats looking awesome, I need to drag mine back out and work on it some more. What are your plans for the bed?

#28 Bernard Kron

Bernard Kron

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,643 posts
  • Full Name:Bernard Kron

Posted 11 November 2008 - 04:39 AM

That front end Really Pops In Primer! B)

#29 Raul_Perez

Raul_Perez

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:01 AM

Wow Raul, thats looking awesome, I need to drag mine back out and work on it some more. What are your plans for the bed?

Thanks, Clay!
The look of the bed will depend on if I stay with the traditional trailer hitch setup that came with the model or if I switch to a 5th wheel design.

If I go the 5th wheel route, I'll make a bed cover that opens from the sides with a large rib down the middle for the panels to hinge on. It'll have the spine shape of the Raptor with a hole in it for the 5th wheel arm of the trailer to hook into.

If I stay with the traditional hitch I will probably build some sort of wing or peak design into the lid, similar to what's on the roof, but maybe running the full width of the bed.

Stay tuned...you'll know right after I do... :)

That front end Really Pops In Primer! B)

Thanks, Bernard. Yes, I like the way that the front wheel opening in relation to the fender now matches the rear fender. With the center of both wheel openings now located forward of the centerline of the fender, it gives it the appearance that its moving forward; even when it's standing still. Combine that with the pie-cut hood and that silly peak on the roof and this one looks like it's in motion! :)

Later,

#30 E St. Kruiser50

E St. Kruiser50

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • Full Name:David Susan

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:50 AM

Hey Raul B)
I really like how this is coming together.
I think Kevin may have something with the tan roof idea.
No matter though what you do, everything is lookin' great. It's fun to watch your progress.

Thanks for keeping us updated - Dave :)

#31 Clay

Clay

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:54 AM

Well IF, and I mean if, dont let it be the deciding factor, you go with the 5th wheel design would you send me the hitch? I some how lost mine...

Edited by Clay, 11 November 2008 - 07:55 AM.

#32 Clay

Clay

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 07:56 AM

Posted Image

I agree with the tan, I think it would look great to do the top in tan, just down to the roof seam.

#33 E St. Kruiser50

E St. Kruiser50

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 08:01 AM

I agree with the tan, I think it would look great to do the top in tan, just down to the roof seam.

I agree - but no pressure Raul B) :) :)

#34 Raul_Perez

Raul_Perez

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 11:56 AM

I agree - but no pressure Raul B) :blink: ;)

We'll see...I've got a couple of weeks to think about it and model it on the computer before I have to decide...'

Thanks for your comments!!

#35 Clay

Clay

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:47 PM

Let us see the model on the computer. Is that how you design all you custom fabs?

#36 curt raitz

curt raitz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:49 PM

Hey ol'buddy...
I think a 5th wheel would be a great choice
ya can really let your 'magination go nut's...not a short journey - I know! ;)

#37 Raul_Perez

Raul_Perez

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 07:27 PM

Let us see the model on the computer. Is that how you design all you custom fabs?

Clay,
For this modification, I first took a picture of the side of the truck:
Posted Image

I then used MS Office Picture Manager to crop out and save a picture of just the wheel opening:
Posted Image

That image of the wheel opening was then pasted on top of the original, full sized picture in MS PowerPoint, but moved forward to where I liked the "look". Here are the original pic and the modified pic on top of each other from PowerPoint.
Posted Image

Here I used the same method to see how it would look with a chopped top:
Posted Image

It's a lot easier to change your mind in the computer than it is AFTER you've taken your favorite saw to an expensive or rare model kit...

No, I'm not going to chop the top...Ed Roth was a tall man and this is meant to be his hauler for the Raptor. :)

Many other people use software packages like PhotoShop to do the same type of work.
I hope this helps.

Hey ol'buddy...
I think a 5th wheel would be a great choice
ya can really let your 'magination go nut's...not a short journey - I know! :huh:

It's a pretty short trip for me...fortunately my memory is so bad that each time I go there, it seems like a new place! ;) :lol:

Later,

Edited by Raul_Perez, 13 November 2008 - 11:55 AM.

#38 E St. Kruiser50

E St. Kruiser50

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 03:50 AM

Here are a few pics with all of the bodywork done, except for the bed. This is the first real coat of primer I've applied to the body, so there's a bit of sanding and a little bit of putty work left to do before this one sees paint.

The front wheels are mounted on the new front susupension from the '99 Ford SVT Lightning truck. The rear suspension will also come from the Lightning kit, but for these pics the frame is just sitting on the axle.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

While the primer dries I'll get started on the few mods I have in mind for to the bed to keep the rear of the truck aligned with the "Raptor" theme of the matching show car and trailer.

Thanks for looking,

Hey there my friend :lol:
I keep looking at your truck and seeing small fins on the top of the bed, with tall arched taillights frenched in, going from the top of the fin to the bottom of a rolled pan of some kind. That ol' 50's Barris look.
Whattaya think?? ;) .
I love the whole look of your project. Very cool, whatever ya do.
Just like to add my .002 cents worth :lol:

All the best - Dave :lol:

#39 Rudy

Rudy

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Full Name:James Rudolph

Posted 14 November 2008 - 05:38 AM

I keep looking at your truck and seeing small fins on the top of the bed, with tall arched taillights frenched in, going from the top of the fin to the bottom of a rolled pan of some kind. That ol' 50's Barris look.
Whattaya think?? ;) .

I like It! I never thought of moving the front wheel openings forward on these trucks. I am also building a truck-trailer-racecar or hot rod combo (still undecided on what is gonna go on the trailer, probably my Gas-Rhonda mustang funny car in the finishing stages, paint etc.) Truck is a 57 chevy stepside pickup. It was my first attempt at a real nice paint job with letting the paint and primer gas out and wet sanding and polishing etc. I will tell you this, the next one I go full-tilt on the paint with WILL NOT be a stepside! Too hard to polish and wetsand the bed!

Looks great.

Rudy

Edited by Rudy, 14 November 2008 - 05:39 AM.

#40 Raul_Perez

Raul_Perez

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 07:38 AM

Whattaya think?? ;) .

Actually, I want the back of the truck to look something like the back of the Raptor, but I like your ideas, too! Maybe I could move and turn the lights I plan on using like you suggest! We'll see soon!!
Posted Image

I like It! I never thought of moving the front wheel openings forward on these trucks. I am also building a truck-trailer-racecar or hot rod combo (still undecided on what is gonna go on the trailer, probably my Gas-Rhonda mustang funny car in the finishing stages, paint etc.) Truck is a 57 chevy stepside pickup. It was my first attempt at a real nice paint job with letting the paint and primer gas out and wet sanding and polishing etc. I will tell you this, the next one I go full-tilt on the paint with WILL NOT be a stepside! Too hard to polish and wetsand the bed!
Looks great.
Rudy

Thanks, Rudy!
Yes, moving the front wheel openings forward really gives it a more modern look, and makes the overall shape and wheel placement of the front fenders look more like the rear fenders.

Yes, that's exactly why I'm leaving the bed as a separate piece until after I paint it!!

Later,