#41 Clay

Clay

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts
  • Full Name:Clay Jones

Posted 14 November 2008 - 07:43 AM

How are you gonna do the hood? front flip, side flip? back flip. WEEEEEEEE.....ok I'm done. I think.

#42 E St. Kruiser50

E St. Kruiser50

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • Full Name:David Susan

Posted 14 November 2008 - 11:09 AM

Actually, I want the back of the truck to look something like the back of the Raptor, but I like your ideas, too! Maybe I could move and turn the lights I plan on using like you suggest! We'll see soon!!
Posted Image

Later,

WOW !! :lol: :lol:
Never seen the back of the Raptor before. That is very cool. This is an amazing theme your caring out through the entire project.
I'm having fun watching it all come together.

dave

#43 Raul_Perez

Raul_Perez

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:57 PM

How are you gonna do the hood? front flip, side flip? back flip. WEEEEEEEE.....ok I'm done. I think.

Probably flip forward, but I have thought of a side flip...

WOW !! :lol: :lol:
Never seen the back of the Raptor before. That is very cool. This is an amazing theme your caring out through the entire project.
I'm having fun watching it all come together.
dave

I copied that pic from my post when I finished the Raptor:
http://www.modelcars...p...t=0&start=0

No, I'm not planning on building a belly pan for the truck like the one on the Raptor or making a removable hardtop! :lol:

This is being built as the truck Ed would have used to haul the show car around to the local events...

#44 62SS

62SS

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:50 AM

You got skills my friend!!!
This entire build project is just incredible.
Your work inspires me to be a better builder, Thank you.
Excuse me now while I clean the drool off of my keyboard.

Ed

#45 Raul_Perez

Raul_Perez

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 03:58 PM

You got skills my friend!!!
This entire build project is just incredible.
Your work inspires me to be a better builder, Thank you.
Excuse me now while I clean the drool off of my keyboard.
Ed

Thanks, Ed.

Here are a few more pics, otherwise know as "what did you do this weekend while you were home with a nasty cold..." :P

The basic bodywork on the bed is finished. A little putty here and there, another prime coat and this one will be headed to the paint booth.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Since this one will have a trailer behind it most of the time, I went with side opening covers for the decklid.
Posted Image

Those big tubs sure chew up a lot of space in the bed. :P
Posted Image

Here are a couple of pics of the Raptor and the hauler together.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Well, time to let the primer dry for a while and get to building an engine, finishing the chassis and figuring out what to do with the interior...

Later,

#46 Bernard Kron

Bernard Kron

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts
  • Full Name:Bernard Kron

Posted 16 November 2008 - 07:13 PM

The back half is totally unexpected - I never would have imagined something like this. But the more I look at it the more it grows on me. I love the hatches. The tubs cry out for custom fit tool boxes... I can't wait to see what you have in mind for all that surface created by that non-tailgate. I'm certain there's nothing out there quite like the Raptor and the Raptor Hauler. :(

#47 Raul_Perez

Raul_Perez

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 08:42 PM

The back half is totally unexpected - I never would have imagined something like this. But the more I look at it the more it grows on me. I love the hatches. The tubs cry out for custom fit tool boxes... I can't wait to see what you have in mind for all that surface created by that non-tailgate. I'm certain there's nothing out there quite like the Raptor and the Raptor Hauler. :(

Thanks, Bernard!!

I like the idea of the custom tool boxes to fit over the tubs!! Hopefully I'll have time to build a set for it before the NNL West.

But, the more I looked at the back of the bed, the less I like how perfectly vertical and flat it was. It just didn't fit with the rest of the model...so, out came the trusty Zona!! :P I pie cut a 0.15" wedge out of it to slant the upper portion of the rear forward. If you look at the base of the cut you'll see the 1/16" hole I drilled to help relieve the stress of the bend.
Posted Image

Then...
Posted Image
Now...
Posted Image

Now the profile the rear edge of the bed more closely matches the profile of the back edge of the rear fender. While I was at it, I also rounded off the top rear edge of the bed a lot more. I like this a lot better... :P

The area in the back is still pretty big, but now it's not just flat and plain. :P
Posted Image

I still need to reshape the slant of the rear fin to align it with the one on the roof...but that'll have to wait until tomorrow...
Later,

Edited by Raul_Perez, 16 November 2008 - 08:47 PM.

#48 Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • Full Name:Dennis Lacy

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:49 PM

The modifications you made to the bed look awesome. Scrolling through the thread the first version looked good but at the same time like it needed something. Then I get to where you pie-cut the back to match the fender and it all came together perfectly. Leaning it forward also gives the truck a sense of motion even tho it's sitting still. I also really dig the dual hatch bed cover too, never seen such a thing done before.

Question about the hood: Have you ever considered rounding the rear lower edge? Every other line on the truck is rounded and swoopy and that one hard, right angle really stands out (to my eyes anyhow.) Just a thought...

#49 Bernard Kron

Bernard Kron

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts
  • Full Name:Bernard Kron

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:27 PM

Now the profile the rear edge of the bed more closely matches the profile of the back edge of the rear fender. While I was at it, I also rounded off the top rear edge of the bed a lot more. I like this a lot better... :(

The area in the back is still pretty big, but now it's not just flat and plain. :P

Wow! What a difference! You're right, it's still a rather vast expanse, but now, as Dennis points out, there's some contour and surface development to echoe the rest of the truck. It really brings things together. Instinct and a builder's eye - that's what's it's all about...

Edited by gbk1, 16 November 2008 - 11:27 PM.

#50 Clay

Clay

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:29 AM

Posted Image

Now that looks good, cant wait to see what you do to the trailer.

#51 Geezerman

Geezerman

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Full Name:Clay Gratz

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:49 AM

What a great concept!
That with your superb craftsmanship is mind boggling.

#52 Raul_Perez

Raul_Perez

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:23 AM

The modifications you made to the bed look awesome. Scrolling through the thread the first version looked good but at the same time like it needed something. Then I get to where you pie-cut the back to match the fender and it all came together perfectly. Leaning it forward also gives the truck a sense of motion even tho it's sitting still. I also really dig the dual hatch bed cover too, never seen such a thing done before.

Question about the hood: Have you ever considered rounding the rear lower edge? Every other line on the truck is rounded and swoopy and that one hard, right angle really stands out (to my eyes anyhow.) Just a thought...

Thanks, Dennis!

Yes, that perfectly vertical and flat back just didn't fit with the rest of the build. I though of adding a small extension to the trailing edge, kind of like a wing, but I didn't like the look of it. Leaning it in was the answer I was looking for.

I went with the side opening lids because this truck is being built to typically have a trailer behind it. The side opening lids make everything easier to get to. That's also why there's no tailgate.

BTW: I like your idea about rounding the back edge of the hood. This thing is still in the early primer stages, so I might just go ahead and make that change.

Wow! What a difference! You're right, it's still a rather vast expanse, but now, as Dennis points out, there's some contour and surface development to echoe the rest of the truck. It really brings things together. Instinct and a builder's eye - that's what's it's all about...

Thanks, Bernard! I may not always know what looks good and right, but I seem to be pretty good at spotting something that's way wrong! <_<

Later,

#53 Raul_Perez

Raul_Perez

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:28 AM

Now that looks good, cant wait to see what you do to the trailer.

Thanks, Clay! All I've done to the trailer so far was to add the 23" Chrome T's. They need to be narrowed to work, but they really fill up those little fenders! :o I stll have to do some design work to give it a little "Raptor" flair!

What a great concept!
That with your superb craftsmanship is mind boggling.

Thanks, Geezerman!

It comes from all those years of inadvertently sniffing glue while I was building models as a youngster! <_< ;)

Later,

#54 Raul_Perez

Raul_Perez

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:37 AM

OK, I don't know how I overlooked this thread, but I did. Anyway, this is great customizing! The Raptor, while nicely done, doesn't hold a candle to this beauty in progress. You're making every modification not only work, but work in harmony with the other modifications & thus you're create a wonderful visual flow.

Since every custom is the subjective view of it's creator, & outside viewers may agree or disagree with his ideas, I'm not going to criticize elements I may not like as well as you do Raul, but instead focus on the myriad of features I do like. The use of the 50 Ford custom front end is inspired to say the least, & is superbly integrated into the fenders by your excellent idea of moving the wheels openings forward, decreasing the visual bulk & mass that first existed with that front end addition.

I wasn't entirely sold on your bed idea until you did lean the back of it forward, which keeps that harmonious flow, & provides the right visual cue to end the truck. Also the slant fits in nicely with the slope on the rear of the Raptor, helping to tie the two models together very nicely.

The addition of "skirts" to the running boards is something that to my eyes doesn't always work successfully, but you've done a great job of making them work. An idea here:, since you're doing so many softer & rounder edges through the truck, rounding off the front & back of each fender/skirt just a touch at the bottom might work even better visually.

This is great work!!! A very nice mix of retro & modern & most of all, an extremely practical &, (if built in 1/1), drivable piece of art.

Thanks, Mark!!

Oh no...the truck can't look better than the show car it's hauling!! <_< ;)

You are 100% right on the fact that "every custom is the subjective view of it's creator, & outside viewers may agree or disagree with his ideas." I sometimes don't even like my own work! :o

As one other person wrote, and I tend to agree, moving the front wheel openings forward even on a stock build makes it look a lot better, tying the look of the front fender design to that of the rear.

I think that the skirts on the running boards works on this truck because I added material to the top and the bottom of the stock board. This filled the gap between the board and the bottom of the door while also lowering the overall appearance of the body to the ground.

Later,

#55 Clay

Clay

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:14 AM

I went with the side opening lids because this truck is being built to typically have a trailer behind it. The side opening lids make everything easier to get to. That's also why there's no tailgate.

That gives me an idea for my bed cover, I think of instead of doing the tilt cover I will do one that comes straight up, since it will always have a trailer behind it. I still wish it was a Studebaker truck cause I would use the stude decals I have on it.

#56 E St. Kruiser50

E St. Kruiser50

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • Full Name:David Susan

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:08 AM

Project really lookin' great :o .
Got more time to "Lurk" around ;) now, and check out everyones builds and just enjoy them, now that mine is done <_< .
Keep up the the good work Raul - Dave

#57 gilsdropshop1

gilsdropshop1

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Full Name:Gil Alvarez

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:48 AM

looking good keep pics coming! <_<

#58 Raul_Perez

Raul_Perez

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:11 AM

Project really lookin' great :o .
Got more time to "Lurk" around ;) now, and check out everyones builds and just enjoy them, now that mine is done <_< .
Keep up the the good work Raul - Dave

Thanks, Dave! Isn't it funny how they always look different in primer than they do in raw plastic? This isn't the first time that I took the saw to a model AFTER it was in primer! :P

looking good keep pics coming! :o

Thanks! If I was retired like TreeHugger Dave, I might be a bit quicker with the pics, but I'm still a working man with kids in college! :P

Later,

#59 MikeMc

MikeMc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:40 AM

:( ;) ;) WOW
But the hitch????? izzit hidden or????

#60 Clay

Clay

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:19 PM

The receiver ball is on an actuator that pops through the bumper when a button is pressed, I dare you to find the button. :D