3 replies to this topic

#1 monsterman

monsterman

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 07:01 PM

I am new to the concept of "detailing" painting, engine detail, spark plug wire, ignition wire, fuel, brake lines, etc.. I came across a post about using telephone wire, I know model master etc makes wire kits and sells the wire, well tonight I was digging through my wire pile and ya guys know those "USB" cables that come with any sort of printer, camera, etc you buy well afterawhile if you are like me they pile up.. I cut through one to find this nasty metal wire but inside of that were 4 wires green, red, white, and black.. JACKPOT!! So now instead of awaiting my first wiring kit to arrive from scalemodelsbychris I am going to give wiring a motor a go..
Just thought I'd share this with ya but I am sure someone already knew about it.. :lol:

#2 lordairgtar

lordairgtar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 05:40 AM

Oh yes, scrap cable is a great source for model wiring. I work for a company that makes those wire harnesses and I'm always digging in the scrap pile.

#3 Harvezter

Harvezter

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:40 AM

When I use to build models in my teens I did something that I havent seen mentioned anywhere yet... though I probably just havent gotten to that post yet... anyway.. what my friend I use to do was take the sprue after we had our parts off it and then heat up a straight piece with a candle and then when the piece of plastic bent down 90% on its own we'd grab both ends and slowly stretch it out. The result was a very thin piece of plastic "wire" that wed then use as battery cables and spark plug wires.

I'm guessing yall may have heard of this but Im learning so much from this forum and all of you that I figured I would share on the offchance that some one hadnt heard of the idea. :D

Jared

#4 camaro-boy

camaro-boy

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:21 AM

here is a picture from a car i have used wires from cables

Posted Image
sorry for the bad picture... :oops: