Model Cars Magazine Forum

66 GTO - final assembly before completion 1/21

Mike

I'd been in a building slump for a couple months, unknowing and uninspired to build anything. Until this showed up in my mailbox two weeks ago :P I immediately went downstairs and pulled my 66 GTO kit from the stash and got to building! :huh:

DSC03708.jpg

Engine done - 1/3

DSC03725.jpg

I used thos annoying wires that hold kids toys in the packages for something useful and made my own coil shocks with them after stripping the clear plastic covering -

DSC03728.jpg

Rolling chassis and mock-up 1/7 -

DSC03732.jpg

DSC03731.jpg

My first attempt at using the testors vinyl top system. It's not bad. Heating up the can would probably help the mist stay smaller and not glob up as bad. I had to use .040 half round styrene to make the trim/drip rails around the base of the vinyl top at the back since they were not molded in.

DSC03735.jpg

DSC03736.jpg

DSC03737.jpg

Edited by Mike

Nice!! B) The gold paint is flawless as that can be a hard color to get right.

Your build reminds me of the 1985-86 SAE article where someone did a pic by pic build of a '67 GTO in the exact same color and wheels! In fact, I think that was the first model mag I had ever bought since I started in the hobby back in '78.

Your vinyl top looks great! I keep hearing good things about it.........I'll have to give it a go sometime!

Wow. The quality of your work is second to none. Excellent paintjob. Everythng is flawless. The vinyl top looks excellent.

As far as a similated (sp) vinyl top, i think automotive undercoating would also work well if it isnt too "hot"

Rudy

EDIT: Also, where did you get that cool stand for holding bodies while you paint? I want one!

Edited by Rudy

Thank you for the kind compliments guys.

The paint stand is a Tamiya set as Bill pointed out. WELL worth the investment.

Gasserfreak, don't sell yourself short. The interior looks great. The one thing I would change would be to paint the all chrome center console to match the rest. For your "faux wood" I have a tutorial I've done in the past you can see here. If you have any further questions, feel free to contact me.

Edited by Mike

Somehow I've missed this build. :lol: Well, I'm glad I found it.....this GTO is definitely one of my faves. Very nicely done! I hadn't realized there was a spray on vinyl top system available now. How cool is that?! It seems to work pretty good from the turn out of this one.

I was noticing that it's texture could probably be used for a 'spray-in bedliner' in a pick-up or even a rubber or vinyl floor mat in a copcar or truck. Just a thought. Is this vinyl top system in all the hobby stores? or was this something available online only? Thanks.

Anyway, just wanted to say, what a beautiful model you've got there! :lol:

Somehow I've missed this build. :lol: Well, I'm glad I found it.....this GTO is definitely one of my faves. Very nicely done! I hadn't realized there was a spray on vinyl top system available now. How cool is that?! It seems to work pretty good from the turn out of this one.

I was noticing that it's texture could probably be used for a 'spray-in bedliner' in a pick-up or even a rubber or vinyl floor mat in a copcar or truck. Just a thought. Is this vinyl top system in all the hobby stores? or was this something available online only? Thanks.

Anyway, just wanted to say, what a beautiful model you've got there! <_<

Thank you all for the kind compliments again. The ideas you have are good. Your LHS may stock and should be able to get the vinyl top system if they stock Testors Model Master paints. If not, online it's easily available.

I've got a completed body/interior/chassis relationship. For whatever reason (age?) my BMF decided to give me fits. The adhesive wanted to separate from the foil when peeling off the trim, and other utter uncooperation. My LHS was out too so I pushed on, said a few expletive's, and got it done. Definitely not my best work because of it either. :D New BMF is on the list now.

DSC03778.jpg

DSC03779.jpg