#1 MarkJ

MarkJ

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Full Name:Mark

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:51 AM

Trying to build a reasonable facsimile to the real car that Fonty won with in 1955. All I have are 3 fuzzy black and white photos to go by so its going to be a guess on most of it. I do know that the body color is red and black.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So far since I took these pictures I have finished the interior ,engine, wheels and tires, and frame. The body is primed and ready for paint and I have done the artwork for two of the contengency decals and both left and right quarter panel sponsor decals.

#2 LVZ2881

LVZ2881

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • Location:Las Vegas,NV, but wishing i was home in salem, oregon

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:53 PM

looks like an interesting project Mark, great start, cant wait to see it finished!

#3 MarkJ

MarkJ

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:20 AM

Thanks James. I hope to paint the body tomorrow and install the engine and exhaust to the frame. I'm going to brush paint it because I have noticed that acryl goes on just as smooth or smoother with a brush then with an air brush. You have to sand and polish acryl anyway so if there are any brush strokes I can just sand them away and then polish. Plus I don't have to go out in the garage to use my airbrush and then clean it.

#4 MarkJ

MarkJ

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:54 PM

Here are some more wip pics.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Slim Louis

Slim Louis

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Full Name:Tom "Slim" Louis

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:44 AM

Let's talk about the chassis, here, Mark. How did you cut out the molded in exhaust so cleanly, or is that from the R/M 56?

Thanks
Slim

#6 MarkJ

MarkJ

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:54 AM

Let's talk about the chassis, here, Mark. How did you cut out the molded in exhaust so cleanly, or is that from the R/M 56?

Thanks
Slim

Slim, I used a chisel type exacto knife to remove the exhaust pipe ,muffler and tailpipe. When you remove the muffler and parts of the tailpipe it leaves a hole in the chassis. I backed up the holes
with small pieces of sheet styrene and then filled in the holes with squadron putty. After it dried I tryed to match the floor details as best I could with various exacto blades. If you look closely at where the muffler was you can see that its not quite the same as the other side. It definitely is the amt chassis. I have an R/M 56 kit but I'm saving it to do Rex White's number X, 56 Chevy. Thanks for the props on the job,but if I had a more close up picture you would see it's not that great. I just could not leave that ugly molded in exhaust even though its a curbside shelfer.

#7 Slim Louis

Slim Louis

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Full Name:Tom "Slim" Louis

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:01 AM

Thanks Mark, it looks real good to me! I tried cutting/grinding it out on one 55 build and it was a real hack job. Now I just cut the whole center section out on my short track cars and fill it all back in with a NASCAR floor or the interior tub bottom, then add some bracing to distract the eye. You can take a little more artistic licsence on a short track then an early Grand National such as yours! Again, great looking build!

Posted Image

#8 MarkJ

MarkJ

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:24 AM

Wow, that looks great Slim!!