Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell's 68 Mustang GT 2n1 kit

SteveG

..... I won't go as far as saying Revell nailed it, but it looks a heck of a lot closer to the real thing then the 70 Challenger 2n1 I also picked up recently. Still like the Challenger it's diecast roots are showing but nowhere near as glaring in my eyes.

Some of the trim is a little on the heavy side and the rear edge of the hood and cowl panel fit leaves something to be desired. But these areas are very fixable along with the screw hole in the gas tank center.

Picture028-vi.jpg

Here's the new Cobra Jet S/S drag parts and hood

Picture030-vi.jpg

Picture032-vi.jpg

You can probably call this a 3n1 one as the Bullitt grille is still here, it's right above the fan blade.

Picture034-vi.jpg

Picture036-vi.jpg

It looks like there are two new chrome trees for the stock GT and drag versions. The Bullitt Style mags are still here too.

There are no brake details or backing plated for the wheels but I'm sure someone here will suggest an easy solution.

Picture038-vi.jpg

It's looks like the same hollow tires as used in the Challenger plus some hollow drag slicks, also without sidewall details

Picture039-vi.jpg

Picture042-vi.jpg

Picture045-vi.jpg

Picture047-vi.jpg

I have very few Diecasts in my collection but Revell's Bullitt Mustang is one of them. When I first got it I wished they had done it in plastic, I guess here's one time my wish was granted.

-Steve

Edited by SteveG

looks good, much better then the 70 Challenger Revell just released. I have too get me one, but if any Mustang experts can tell. that appears too be a 67 interior

Revell apparently didn't change the interior to '68 specifications when they modified the body tooling from the '67 Shelby GT500. Does anyone remember that kit? It was predecorated in light blue metallic w/white stripes. IIRC it's one of Revell's earliest diecast kits. That's why overall the model isn't as up to par as some of the later diecast-derived kits like the WRX, '62 Corvette, '77 Trans Am, '58 Chevy.

To answer a couple of questions, I hear the interior may have been carried over from Revell's 67 Shelby diecast. Once it's built the metal axles are well hidden, they are also carried over from the diecast version. Here's a photo of the kit body compared to a built diecast version.

Picture048-vi.jpg

The box art shows the Drag car with two mags on the front and two steel wheels on the rear and I guess that's how the Tasca cars were build although my refence photos show a deeper dish steel wheel and the kit wheel looks shallow to me. This car has chrome rear while other were painted and others had four mags.

P6070304-vi.jpg

-Steve

Revell apparently didn't change the interior to '68 specifications when they modified the body tooling from the '67 Shelby GT500. Does anyone remember that kit? It was predecorated in light blue metallic w/white stripes. IIRC it's one of Revell's earliest diecast kits. That's why overall the model isn't as up to par as some of the later diecast-derived kits like the WRX, '62 Corvette, '77 Trans Am, '58 Chevy.

I'm pretty sure the GT500 came out later, Bob. There was a lot of carry-over from the Bullitt, but the body shell, though still a little slab-sided, was much improved in things like the fender arches and greenhouse/b-pillar blend. The American Dreams '68, which is the basis for this plastic model, then came out after the GT500, recycling the Bullitt shell.

And I wouldn't sweat the straight-through front axles, fellas. Like Zoomie said above, those are purely an artifact of the earlier Revell diecast kits; the m. o. for the latest Revell tooling seems to be axle pins up front. Even the diecast-based '58 Impala had 'em.

And as for them new parts, all I gotsta say is SERVE 'EM UP! Woo-hoo! My AMT '68 CJ conversion is comin' togetha! There's my air cleaner, there's my hood scoop, that might even work as my hood...

here i thought that metal axle kits were a thing of the past, but Revell seems to really be liking them. the headers do look promising though. looks like the AMT '67 is still leaps and bounds better than this thing will ever be.

Dave

Yeah - in light of how good the AMT '67 Mustang kit is, I too would have to question the relevance of this kit. I certainly won't be buying one.

Why do they keep wasting time bringing out different versions of the same thing? Why not make a '68 notchback instead?

metal pins are one thing, metal axles that pass through a nice big honking hole in the engine block is how they did it in the stone ages, it has no place in the present or the future as far as i'm concerned. Tamiya for some reason thought it was a good idea as of late too.

maybe it's Revell reaching out to the "kids". now you can race your replica of the Cobra Jet across the hardwood in the living room with your brother when your done. he may have an edge on you though with his Challenger, depends on if he builds it as a T/A or an R/T. next it will be motorized curbsides.

Dave

Metal axles has never been a deal breaker for me, probably half of what I build have them whether it's a vintage kit or a Modelhaus resin or whatever. In cases where I want to eliminate them it's never been all that hard.

For me the deal breaker is this body shape, as far this kit goes it's very acceptable. Not so much on the 70 Challenger.

I bought them both at the same time and I was very dissapointed when I opened the Challenger.

-Steve

Edited by SteveG

This looks like I'll pick one up eventually when they hit Hobby Lobby so I can be a cheap you know what.

As my LHS owner said he was very suprised when they came through with a $22.99 MSRP ouch! Heck that is a buck

more than the Bullitt cars and 70 Mustang an Fairlane kits. Does anyone know if th big three are charging more for

licensing?

How much difference is there between the '67 and "68.

Does this kit offer anything to sell it over the AMT '67, any neat parts, different motor?

Well it has a big block for starters it also has the Bullitt grill and wheels so it really is kind of a 3 n 1

it also has the hood with the turn signals.

So this one makes the Bullitt too.

Okay... :lol:

Good news for the parts box. Bad news for the dedicated Bullitt kit... :D

The only item I see missing from this kit to make the Bullitt car is the correct CA license plate decals. JJZ-109

-Steve

Well, here's something I noticed: the door panel and seat patterns for this kit apparently do not match those in the American Dreams '68 kit.

Doezzat mean Revell's mixed up the interior bits from the GT500 after all?

I'll be checking into over the next day or two...

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

I looked my kit over, and for the most part I agree with the proportion and general appearance observations. This is by no means a bad kit.

I do, however greatly dislike the axles. In 1:1 cars, a gaping hole in the engine block is a bad thing, and it goes the same for scale models.

The other thing is the rear steelies. For some reason, they look more like front wheels than rear ones. They aren't deep enough, and there's what appears to be a dust cap detail instead of the end of an axle in the center of the wheel. That little gripe is something I can live with given the spare/extra parts count in the kit. It is nothing short of refreshing to score some extra goodies in a new kit.

Overall, and considering all the factors, I'll have to concede that a new release as nice as this is not such a bad thing. My only fear is that plastic models will continue to trend toward toy construction as a concession to the economy of producing metal and plastic cars using the same basic engineering.

And although I was holding the Challenger kit in my hand Friday night, my "spider sense" was tingling and I put it back. Sounds from some comments like it's a kit I can wait to buy until I can score it for a few bucks less.

Well, here's something I noticed: the door panel and seat patterns for this kit apparently do not match those in the American Dreams '68 kit.

Doezzat mean Revell's mixed up the interior bits from the GT500 after all?

I'll be checking into over the next day or two...

Yes they did. the American Dreams kit has a correct 1968 standard interior (door panels and seats), with the exception of the rear seat.

i picked one up last weekend at hobby lobby for 16.49 the box art looks good as hell but im diasspointed with the kit i agree with alot of the points you all have brought up. i just dont like metel axle kits at all! its to much like a diecast for me im gonna put mine up for grabs i think. hell its the first stang kit i ever bought. i was hoping it would have been tooled up like the nova that just my opinion tho.

i picked one up last weekend at hobby lobby for 16.49 the box art looks good as hell but im diasspointed with the kit i agree with alot of the points you all have brought up. i just dont like metel axle kits at all! its to much like a diecast for me im gonna put mine up for grabs i think. hell its the first stang kit i ever bought. i was hoping it would have been tooled up like the nova that just my opinion tho.

As it has been said before this was a plastic version of their previously released diecast and Revell has stated it was.

I for one will be picking one up in the near future!!

• 3 weeks later...
..... I won't go as far as saying Revell nailed it, but it looks a heck of a lot closer to the real thing then the 70 Challenger 2n1 I also picked up recently. Still like the Challenger it's diecast roots are showing but nowhere near as glaring in my eyes.

Some of the trim is a little on the heavy side and the rear edge of the hood and cowl panel fit leaves something to be desired. But these areas are very fixable along with the screw hole in the gas tank center.

Picture028-vi.jpg

Here's the new Cobra Jet S/S drag parts and hood

Picture030-vi.jpg

Picture032-vi.jpg

You can probably call this a 3n1 one as the Bullitt grille is still here, it's right above the fan blade.

Picture034-vi.jpg

Picture036-vi.jpg

It looks like there are two new chrome trees for the stock GT and drag versions. The Bullitt Style mags are still here too.

There are no brake details or backing plated for the wheels but I'm sure someone here will suggest an easy solution.

Picture038-vi.jpg

It's looks like the same hollow tires as used in the Challenger plus some hollow drag slicks, also without sidewall details

Picture039-vi.jpg

Picture042-vi.jpg

Picture045-vi.jpg

Picture047-vi.jpg

I have very few Diecasts in my collection but Revell's Bullitt Mustang is one of them. When I first got it I wished they had done it in plastic, I guess here's one time my wish was granted.

-Steve

I've sent an email to Revell regarding the '67 interior in the '68 Mustang GT.

And suggest those that read this, do the same.

They should have the correct '68 interior as it was in the Bullett Die Cast.

Does the new plastic Bullett car have the '67 or correct '68 interior??