• You cannot reply to this topic
210 replies to this topic

#41 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Location:Aussie....Northern N.S.W. Not far from Dragalogalong..
  • Full Name:Greg "stump" Armour

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:01 PM

Aww....geez George, you make me out like I'm special..... :o .. :D
Mate, that's one hellova cred booster...Now I can't afford to slacken off on this one......not that I plan to anyways.... :o
I guess it's just because of all the years enhancing the smaller ones...make a new part here or there.....just in 1/12 scale, if it don't look "right"....it looks really wrong...know what I mean..
If I was going to do the Safari version as intended, there would be no need for this spare fuel tank etc...but I do like a challenge...even though the tank was pretty easy...
The tyres have probably been my most ambitious task to date.....they're almost ready to send off too.....
If there's a failing within the build, it'll hit when it's time to paint......painting is one thing I need to perfect......the bigger scale may be a help...who knows..... ;)
Thanks heaps for your support George, and yes...a great friendship from a wheel trade....who'd a thought, hey.... :o :o

Thanks Brandon..
Practice...practice and patience mate...I have about 6 full exhaust systems all laying around the bench......all failed the final test.. :o

Make you one...? Well, let's see.....
So far, hours invested.....150+ @ $45.00/hour....... :o ...Nah, seriously mate, I would not have a clue.....
I become to attached to a build.....I only ever sold one of my best/favourite models....Got a great price for it, and it was a financial decision (out of work at the time...)
But....I have regretted it ever since...... B)

#42 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,855 posts
  • Full Name:George53

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:02 AM

Well Greg ol Man, I jus gotta call em as I see em! Your GOOD, I don't see no harm in tellin you.It don't go to your head, like some guys. Heck your JUST as good, if NOT BETTER that alot of guys I have the privildge of calling freinds. You got NO big head from all these killer builds you've done, like some guys get, you don't preach about how hard it was to do, you just DO IT!(like the Nike commercial :lol: ) That says ALOT. The craftsmanship that goes into your builds just SHOWS! Plus ya live down unda in PARADISE! Yeesh, after seein the pics of the house and the 'hood, jeeze I want to live there too!!! Hey, tell ya wat, let Mum know I'm comin, an I'll help ya build an addition for all the models!!! :lol:

#43 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:47 AM

I just don't have the room for a 1/12 but I love the detail I'm seeing here. Being able to use real bolts to fasten things is my 1/25th dream ... it just adds SO much and I'm sure adds some good rigidity to the model. The exhaust is looking really good!

#44 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,855 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:12 AM

Mike, didja check out the weld marks on the muffler? Yeeesh! :lol: :lol:

#45 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:20 AM

:lol: ;) Cheers George..and that's why I like you so much mate, you don't mince words, you're the koolest...and a great bud to boot.... ;)
Heck man, I've been looking for an excuse to build a model room specific.....you say the word an I'll get the ball rolling.....We can set it up with a duel workbench.
You know you'd be very welcomed down here man...... :D ;) we got plenty of room.

Thank you too Mike. Adding real working features and better detail to a large kit has been on my list of dreams since I was a wee lad....
My first experiences with 1/12 were over 35 years ago, and were way less than exciting......pretty bad actually..... :D It's taken that long to make it a realization.. ;)

Thanks so much guys..
Greg

PS: What's the time over there now George ? It's just gone 4.20am down here....I gotta start getting ready for work.. :lol:

Edited by stump, 25 May 2009 - 08:23 AM.

#46 B_rad88

B_rad88

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts
  • Full Name:Brandon

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:54 AM

Thanks Brandon..
Practice...practice and patience mate...I have about 6 full exhaust systems all laying around the bench......all failed the final test.. :lol:

Make you one...? Well, let's see.....
So far, hours invested.....150+ @ $45.00/hour....... :D ...Nah, seriously mate, I would not have a clue.....
I become to attached to a build.....I only ever sold one of my best/favourite models....Got a great price for it, and it was a financial decision (out of work at the time...)
But....I have regretted it ever since...... :lol:

ok, i will have to get started! and really? that many hours! your doing a fantastic job!

and thats cool, i get attached to mine too! but for me, its the matter of getting it done! for some reason i have more stalled projects than finished models!

and that sucks, i had to part with a couple of my babies too, i wish i never did! i found them about 5 years later in a thrift store broken! i cried! i freakin cried! and then i got pissed! so that was a fun day, NOT! lol, but i know what your goin' threw! it blows big time!

p.s. are you talking about $45/hr is that us dollars? and really 150hrs? cause thats like $7,000 usd! alot, but ITS WORTH IT!

#47 B_rad88

B_rad88

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:02 AM

PS: What's the time over there now George ? It's just gone 4.20am down here....I gotta start getting ready for work.. :(

well, greg for me i live in florida! so i am eastern standard time! what day is it for you, the 26th or 25th? i am the 25th and it 3pm! i belive you about 12hrs ahead of me! or behind me!

#48 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:59 PM

well, greg for me i live in florida! so i am eastern standard time! what day is it for you, the 26th or 25th? i am the 25th and it 3pm! i belive you about 12hrs ahead of me! or behind me!

Yep, that sounds pretty close to me Brandon. I was just 4 and a bit hours into the 26th down here....so we're only just ahead of you guys.. ;)
Just made it in from work this minute..(well, bout 20 minutes ago...) 4.50pm May 26th.

Mate, yes keep practicing....if you wish to try something you haven't done before, grab an old body or two and start experimenting....
Heck, there's still lots I haven't learned yet....it's a continual thing......but the more you do it, you do get better.....even if it takes 30 years like me... :rolleyes:
I wished I'd had the tools and supplies available to me down here, way back when......I guess the internet has to be thanked for that...

cheers mate
Greg

#49 B_rad88

B_rad88

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:09 PM

thank you for advice! and yeah i am behind you! it just turned tuesday for me! well, 3hrs ago! and yeah i learn new stuff with every build!

i was working on a 1/18 scale die-cast datsun 240zg! but i ripped out the stock sohc, and drop in a 1998 5.7l LS1! its a work in progress! but right now i put it on a back burner! i am building a couple of other cars for the drift build off!

and i can't wait to see your datsun finished!

Edited by KUZTOMMODELS88, 25 May 2009 - 09:10 PM.

#50 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:01 PM

No worries mate.. ;)

Hey, good luck on your Datsun build too...I wouldn't mind a look at that when you get back to it....
I'm hearing what you mean about stalled projects too.....them I got plenty of..... :lol:

Meant to add before too, I was only kiddin with you about the costs of a build.....Brandon, I got no real idea to be truthful...
I know there are guys out there who do it, and probably do very well out of it, financially......but I honestly don't see how you can make your money back per time invested...??
The car I sold, which was a couple of years ago now.....I'd built it from ground up, several times.....just to get it right.
It was a curbside of one of our Aussie Muscle cars...basic interior, flat chassis.....a great body is all it had going for it....
I slotted in a chassis from another kit, highly modified to look like what I was building (I'd owned 5 of the real 1:1 cars, so I knew them inside out..)
Countless hours.....just making parts for it......I sold it for $475AUSD......MADNESS !!!!! :rolleyes: ....but I was desperate, and needed the cash.....
Lesson learned ?......Yes, I could have held off and kept it....I still have pics of it, but that's all.....

Posted Image

#51 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,855 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 02:27 PM

Stump, My Man, you really gotta hook up with Harry for Real or Model! Your shot of the Blue Motion Camaro is one of the best shots around! This one's just as good! It sure LOOKS real!Give it a try, I'm sure you could fool at least a few guys!!! :)

#52 B_rad88

B_rad88

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:52 PM

No worries mate.. :lol:

Hey, good luck on your Datsun build too...I wouldn't mind a look at that when you get back to it....
I'm hearing what you mean about stalled projects too.....them I got plenty of..... :rolleyes:

Meant to add before too, I was only kiddin with you about the costs of a build.....Brandon, I got no real idea to be truthful...
I know there are guys out there who do it, and probably do very well out of it, financially......but I honestly don't see how you can make your money back per time invested...??
The car I sold, which was a couple of years ago now.....I'd built it from ground up, several times.....just to get it right.
It was a curbside of one of our Aussie Muscle cars...basic interior, flat chassis.....a great body is all it had going for it....
I slotted in a chassis from another kit, highly modified to look like what I was building (I'd owned 5 of the real 1:1 cars, so I knew them inside out..)
Countless hours.....just making parts for it......I sold it for $475AUSD......MADNESS !!!!! :) ....but I was desperate, and needed the cash.....
Lesson learned ?......Yes, I could have held off and kept it....I still have pics of it, but that's all.....

Posted Image

NICE PIC! at first i thought that was sitting in your drive way! it looks real! is that a ford capri? it looks sweet! i love the 2-tone paint job you did! and i can take pics soon, and i will start my own thread so i don't clog up yours! and that is mad! but atleast you have a pic of yours! i don't of mine! but life goes on.

b.t.w. i agree with george! you have really nice pics! it would be fun that you know that yuor pics stumped some fellow members!

#53 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:15 PM

NICE PIC! at first i thought that was sitting in your drive way! it looks real! is that a ford capri? it looks sweet! i love the 2-tone paint job you did! and i can take pics soon, and i will start my own thread so i don't clog up yours! and that is mad! but atleast you have a pic of yours! i don't of mine! but life goes on.
b.t.w. i agree with george! you have really nice pics! it would be fun that you know that yuor pics stumped some fellow members!

Stump, My Man, you really gotta hook up with Harry for Real or Model! Your shot of the Blue Motion Camaro is one of the best shots around! This one's just as good! It sure LOOKS real!Give it a try, I'm sure you could fool at least a few guys!!!

Well, thank yous guys... <_<
Brandon, the green beast is a Torana, by our local GM(Holden)..The best of them, Hi-Po version was the L-34 (4-door) and A9X (2-door)
Lightweight at about 1200kg, powered by a 5 litre V8.....Very.......very quick..... :blink: B)
Yes, I need to get back to some good outdoor pics....it is fun. Then I may have a shot at "real or model"..... ;)
I enjoy the photographic side of the hobby nearly as much as building....good thing I have a digi cam now, as most of my pics are throw aways..... :huh:

#54 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:25 AM

Update.....June......

Well, still moving along here.....waiting on some more Scale Hardware, so I thought I'd look into some other area which needs attention......Brakes !
Sorry...no working drums or anything like that...... :) ..
Tamiya, in their wisdom...(?) got as far as adding tiny stubs on the calipers and drums to add brake line detail....? :huh: ...BUT, no tubing, not even a mention of it in the manual... ;)
They used to supply tubing with their 1/12 F1 kits............Oh well, guess it's in my hands........
And the E-brake......?? We won't even go there.......it is not even represented.....at all........
Now, the e-brake is something which is quite concealed I guess, exhaust and tail shaft obscure it....BUT, it is still a visible component......

Here's what I got so far........
I made a basic shape from angled styrene, made some linkages and threw in some RBMotion nuts'n'bolts.......

Posted Image

Test fit of the unit......
Posted Image

Rough coat of dull metallic paint....the whole thing will get a dirty wash once it's in place...
Posted Image

It fits in the tunnel, just ahead of the diff. A rod will attach to the lever off the side, and connect to the e-brake handle...
Posted Image

Test fitting last night revealed a close (too close..) fit between the tail shaft...so I've raised the height of the diff centre to clear.... ;)

Also started on the interior.......
The glovebox lid is cast separate....only because the dash is shared with the Safari version, with differing details on the glovebox.
It is also cast quite thick at approx 3mm.........niiiice........NOT ! My solution, thin the lid.........

Posted Image

And come up with this.......
Posted Image

And....................the tyres are FINISHED !..............YAY !!
Posted Image
Posted Image

I added the TOYO logo last night and gave it all a final sand......
I've emailed my resin bud to let him know they are ready, but got a reply yesterday morning to tell me he couldn't cast them hollow..... :blink:
I'm a little bummed by that news and am contemplating having a go myself......??
I'll keep you updated on that front.......

Stay tuned guys.....it's about to get warmed up down here........More soon.
cheers
Greg

#55 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,975 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:08 PM

Nice to see more progress ;) The tires look great!

#56 TomA

TomA

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Albrecht

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:02 AM

Still watching this one with interest Greg! I did a 1/12th Camaro and didn't realise one could get so much detail in something that size! Got to agree with the others man, you are an artist! Bloody genious mate!
I have a wreck of a 1/8th Stingray that I want to briing back from the dead and your build is certainly getting my juices flowing! But I'm 54 and could well be bloody dead before I finish it! :P Maybe I could leave it to the master in my will to finish off! ;)

#57 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:23 AM

Hehehe. :P
Hey, thanks Tom. I appreciate your very kind words mate. ;)
To be honest, I'm worried about finishing all mine too....I now have 8 (?) 1/12 kits to do..... :blink:
Datsun 240Z..........x 2
Mazda RX-7
Monogram 67 Vette. x 2
Doyusha Vette
Monogram 69 Camaro
Fujimi R-32 GT-R
Not necessarily in that order.... ;) .....and I got the big 50 coming up this year....... :huh:

Thank you too Mike, much appreciated man.. ;)

cheers
Greg

#58 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,855 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:06 AM

50 already? Dam Stump, do YOU GUYS got the AARP too??? Maybe there's an Aussie version, Australian Assc. of Retired People. If ya do, get ready fo' da junk mail! Personally Greg, I'd like ta see ya tackel that 69 Camaro, Kinda got a soft spot fer them, them an 69 Chargers! But I better let ya finish this monster 'afore I start givin out assignmemts!
Now for this build, You put in a parking brake handle that can function? if you can find that thin stretchable cord that's sold at craft stores, maybe you could hook up some E-brake lines to LOOK like they set when you pull up on the handle! Anyways, this bad boy looks like it's comin along right nicely! Hope ya don't loose wats left of the ol noggin afore ya finish it! :P ;)

#59 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:47 PM

:P :P ...Hey, thanks George.
Yah, we have something similar to that.....but the Gov'ment told us in the "Budget" just the other day, they raising retirement from 65 to 67......######..... :blink: :P
So, I got a good ways to go yet...plenty of time to get a couple finished.

Hey, ya know...I've started the 69 Camaro....yeah yeah.....like most projects, it got started and put aside..... B)
I've been waiting to acquire some confidence to tackle it.....there's a fair amount of scratching to be done on it too....to build the version I want..... ;)
Maybe I'll get it out again soon.....I do miss working on it..
Attached File  69ZLX02.jpg   88.3KB   23 downloads Attached File  BMCamaro_024.jpg   46.04KB   20 downloads

Functional E-brake......??.......Hmmm, we shall see.........I'm trying to nut out the lower part of the handle now.....I'll check my local craft store for some stretchy elastic.. ;)
Thanks for the tip.. ;)
Oh, and I don't know if I can get any nuttier than I already am......... :lol:

cheers George
Greg

#60 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:24 PM

Now for this build, You put in a parking brake handle that can function? if you can find that thin stretchable cord that's sold at craft stores, maybe you could hook up some E-brake lines to LOOK like they set when you pull up on the handle! Anyways, this bad boy looks like it's comin along right nicely! Hope ya don't loose wats left of the ol noggin afore ya finish it! ;) ;)

Ok George...I'm holding you personally responsible for this...................... :lol: :lol: :lol:

So, as I said.....I been trying to figure out how to mount the handle side of this part......?? After trying several unsuccessful attempts.......This is where I'm at.....
I had to "cut" my new bracket into the tunnel floor.....allowing extra clearance for the diff......It now sits almost flush, much better.. ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Handbrake............OFF..
Posted Image

Handbrake.................ON...
Posted Image

I hope to get some colour on the chassis tomorrow, or at least over the weekend....then ALL these bits can start going on, for good.... :lol:
More soon guys.....

cheers
Greg