• You cannot reply to this topic
210 replies to this topic

#121 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Location:Aussie....Northern N.S.W. Not far from Dragalogalong..
  • Full Name:Greg "stump" Armour

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:06 PM

It was time to add some detail to the SU carbs.....They are nice enough as they were, just needed some extra fuel connections...
Oh, and I added a choke assembly to them as well, as it would appear to be a common feature.....
Posted Image

I made a new fuel rail from .7mm solder. It is held together by two fuel blocks and two brackets, which bolt it to the cam-cover and front engine plate.
Posted Image

Once this and the carbs were added, it was starting to take shape nicely.....Plus the addition of a few vacuum lines.....
Posted Image

Posted Image

The air cleaner.......I think this is where I got distracted and went nuts......:lol:
I made the top removable and made a foam element for it......but the tight confines in the engine bay mean it will either stay on or off....?????
Posted Image

With the air cleaner added, some plug leads and some finishing off, this is where it's at.....still need to finish the starter motor too.....
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Continues........................

#122 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:23 PM

The last couple of days I have worked on the fuel and brake lines...(a week off work helps..:P )
Posted Image

At the rear, the fuel supply and return lines connect to two rubber hoses.....I made tiny insulators to fit over each line too..
Posted Image

Towards the engine bay...............
Posted Image

I also made a new fuel filter and bracket....the kit part looked a little small.............???
Posted Image

Engine bay taking shape. :D Fuel filter installed, along with two new brake proportioning/distribution valves....
Posted Image

Working on the brake master cylinder/booster right now....it will then go in and finish connecting the brakes. ;)
Then I just need to nut out how I intend to add some realistic wiring looks.......:lol: I'll let you know how that goes.................:lol:

More soon guys...
cheers
Greg

#123 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 05:31 PM

Just a little more happening lately.......

Tried my first attempt at wiring.............:P A second loom is in the works, as this one just doesn't quite do it for me......:lol:
Posted Image

And just a teaser of the motor in place.....Still need to sort a few issues yet.....
Posted Image

Yesterday I did some final testing/fitting of the last pieces of throttle linkage.......
Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm waiting on some more supplies (cable ties, etc) so I can secure the wiring in place, so updates will slow for a while.....

More as it happens guys
cheers
Greg

#124 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,855 posts
  • Full Name:George53

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:44 AM

Well you know me well enough to know i wouldn't lie to ya Stumpman. I DON'T think I've EVER seen a 260 Datsun engine compartment. BUT, I got a feelin that if I ever DID, it would look like THAT! Your just cruisein into it now Daddy-O, take your time an button that bad boy up nice an tight, an just show that rascal off!!!!Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#125 RodneyBad

RodneyBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,499 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:08 PM

WOW!! ultra Goober Detailing to the Max Man! :D

I don't think a 1:1 could ever be detailed that Great.
Awesome work to watch

#126 horsepower

horsepower

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:29 AM

Well you know me well enough to know i wouldn't lie to ya Stumpman. I DON'T think I've EVER seen a 260 Datsun engine compartment. BUT, I got a feelin that if I ever DID, it would look like THAT! Your just cruisein into it now Daddy-O, take your time an button that bad boy up nice an tight, an just show that rascal off!!!!Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I have seen several & I think he's slipping in pics of a 1:1 restoration & is trying to pass them off as a model. B)

#127 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:40 AM

Hey, thanks George, Rodney and Dell. ;)

horsepower
I have seen several & I think he's slipping in pics of a 1:1 restoration & is trying to pass them off as a model. :)

Now Dell, I wouldn't do that to you guys......................:) .................................................. B) ;) Cheers mate.

Ok....well, believe it or not, actually done a little, back on the blue car.
Been messing with the ride height again, as I wanted it to squat a bit more.................
Posted Image

The front will come down a couple more mm's, I just need to finish re-radius(ing..?) the original wheel openings some more. Making them bigger....:)
The lowering procedure went pretty smooth by all accounts.....easier than I thought it was going to be.

The rear shock/struts have approx 7mm of solid plastic at their base, so I cut and removed 5mm from the length.
I then placed a sleeve over the new join to give it back some strength...
This pic shows the two black marks I used as a guide to my cut. (right hand unit)
Posted Image

Sleeve in place.
Posted Image

The front units were no harder, just different.
There was not sufficient plastic to allow a simple cut'n'shut like the rears, so I simply moved the brake assembly up the strut.
Posted Image

Too easy......

And finally..................a T E A S E R for you.......
Yes, this is #3...................:) :blink: You get the idea now that I like these........:P
This one is still a loooooooong way down the track, but as soon as it arrived, I had to "test fit" the new power plant.........
Posted Image

More soon guys, and thanks for watching.
cheers
Greg

#128 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,855 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:42 AM

OOO-OOO-OOOO! (I feel like Curly) That's lookin like it's commin along right nicely Stump! Muh Favorite Aussie doin his thing is a joy anda pleasure to watch! Lookin GOOD bro, an like was mentioned earlier, If i didn't see it from the start, I EASILY coulda believed it was a REAL car! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image You GO Stumpman!!!!

#129 Romell R

Romell R

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
  • Full Name:Romell Robinson

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:30 AM

I've really enjoyed your build I think your building skills are excellent. I am really considering building a 1/12 scale project, I was wondering if you or anyone eles could give me any suggestions as to where to find good aftermarket parts sites for this scale. thx in advance for any help you can provide. Romell :D

#130 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,855 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:39 AM

Romell, if your going to go to bigger scales like Greg, I think you'll be in the same boat,Bro, caz Gregg hasta build most of the stuff he adds. His scratchbuilding skills are second to none. Like your avatar, were you a tanker?Posted Image

#131 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,639 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:51 AM

I've really enjoyed your build I think your building skills are excellent. I am really considering building a 1/12 scale project, I was wondering if you or anyone eles could give me any suggestions as to where to find good aftermarket parts sites for this scale. thx in advance for any help you can provide. Romell :D

I, too, would like to know. Sadly, most aftermarket parts in the large scales are mostly nuts, bolts and other hardware that can transfer among scales. I'm sure you know that these are typically found on eBay. I don't do F1 or Le Mans-style, but that seems to be where the very few detail accessories and PE pieces are.

Stephane Pedaggi at Scale Details concentrates mostly on Pocher kits, but has just a few specialized (and expensive) aftermarket parts for 1/12 and 1/16.

http://www.scaledeta...otherscales.asp

#132 Romell R

Romell R

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:51 PM

Romell, if your going to go to bigger scales like Greg, I think you'll be in the same boat,Bro, caz Gregg hasta build most of the stuff he adds. His scratchbuilding skills are second to none. Like your avatar, were you a tanker?Posted Image

LOL! no actually I was 1st Recon in the Marine Corps but besides doing scale models Im also into 3d grafic creation, my avatar is one of the characters in my grafic noval "PreEarther" which will hopefully release next summer B)

#133 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,855 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:33 PM

Recon??? Your OK in my book! 1st Marines 3rd Batt. OOORAH!!!Posted Image

#134 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:26 PM

:angry: Thanks George, Romell and Skip. :lol:

Romell and Skip,
Yeah, as George mentioned, there is not a hole lot out there for the bigger scales. Probably more for 1/8 than 1/12 these days....B)
Aside from the wheels/tyres I made, I haven't given thought to trying to master other bits.....
A mate in the U.S. is currently popping a 1/12 turbo and some assorted pieces for him
self and me......I don't know that he's given thought to production though.

#135 Romell R

Romell R

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:17 PM

Semper Fi Gorge and thx stump for the reply Im still gonna tackel a 1/12 project and when you get a chance please stop by and let me know what you think about my Chevelle build http://www.modelcars...showtopic=31030 keep up the good work and talk to ya soon. Romell B)

Edited by Aftashox, 24 June 2010 - 10:18 PM.

#136 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:48 PM

Cheers Romell. Checked out your Chev.......:blink: Thats KOOL.....:D Love the 1:1 too. :o

Well, I spent most of the weekend working on a fuel delivery system.......or carburettors. ;)
I had been putting this off, as I knew what would be involved.......and I was right. B) I am now totally bald and feel like an eighty year old......:blink:

A little build up.........................
The linkages were all made from flattened .5mm solder, then cut and trimmed to shape. Holes were tapped to accept some gorgeous RBMotion ball-joint hardware.
The main linkage rail is supported on 3 x Tuner model factory eye bolts. linkage arms are also drilled, flattened .5mm solder and more RBMotion ball joints.

The triple carbs received holes for the linkage and fuel inlets prior to painting. They were sprayed with a gun-metal base coat, followed by champagne gold.
I will add the connecting linkage through the week......
Posted Image

Posted Image

And I made a new set of plug leads. The first set were not adequate.......
Posted Image

That's where we're at for now......with some spare time, I should get this part finalised sometime this week. B)
cheers guys
Greg

#137 Romell R

Romell R

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:39 PM

my brotha! I had a 1984 280zx with tri Makuni carb setup, .071 cam, and racing headers this motor almost looks like the motor in my car good job im very impressed. And thx bro for the compliment on the chevelle anyway keep up the fantastic work and I'll be watching. B)

Edited by Aftashox, 29 June 2010 - 02:41 PM.

#138 Plasticfanatic

Plasticfanatic

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Full Name:Fred Perez

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:01 PM

Simply SUPERB,FANTASTIC,WONDERFUL!!!!!!!

#139 baddgass

baddgass

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:25 PM

Been gone a bit, but nice to see all the work u put in. The eng. is off the hook. grate work. Keep it coming Bro.

#140 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:09 PM

Thanks so much Romell, Fred and Derrick..:)

My humble apologies for the lateness (read = slackness...) in replies......:wacko:
I have this motor almost ready for install now....The leads were my biggest headache...fourth attempt was successful. :D
Linkages are complete and the whole thing will just require some touch-ups and a final wash with thinned black before she goes in. ;)

Here's where we're at.......
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The main reason for the Datto's slowing down is that I have also resurrected an old build.....B) :D
I'm back at the bench on my 69 Baldwin Camaro. :) A very long way to go....ALL of the work I had started is getting re-made.......
Stay tuned. ;)

Cheers guys
Greg