Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rusted 1955 Cameo replaced 7/6/17

Foxer

This is about a 15 year old build .. I REALLY need to finish something new!!

INSPIRATION: This appears to be an early prototype of the Cameo with steel rear fenders. Obviously, fiberglass was the right choice of material for the production model!

57 Cameo DSC 0662

57 Cameo DSC 0658

55 ChevyCameo RightFt DSC9819

55 ChevyCameo LeftRear DSC9818

Rust holes were ground and feathered with a Mototool, including the classic 50's "headlight cooling vents". The dents were formed with various objects after heating over soldering iron or gouging with a file. Rusted areas of the body were distressed with liquid plastic cement. The grill was opened by filing from the rear. A broken rear taillight was made by grinding out the molded lens to form the reflector bucket and adding a scratch built "oversize" bulb. The left front bumper and fender had a run-in with a warm soldering iron, as did the tailgate. The wood rear bumper was built from real wood with mounts made of cut nails. Mounting holes for the "lost" side emblems were drilled in the body and "rusted". The windshield wiper marks were masked with tape before adding grime to the glass. The broken right rear view mirror was lost sometime in 1962, not due to mishandling. The tires were sanded almost bald, with the fronts indicating a bad alignment problem. The spare tire in the bed is a hollowed-out solid tire with a bad tear in the side wall. A sheet of thin balsa wood was weathered to simulate a stained sheet of plywood covering the rusted bed.

55ChevEngine01

55cameo266

55cameo268

55cameo271

Dutch Boy Hunter Green acrylic enamel from a spray can was the paint of choice, undergoing a rubdown with solvent after 24 hours to simulate fading and worn spots. The drivers door was painted with Model Master Classic White and left glossy to simulate a replacement door. Rust was simulated with Floquil Roof and Rail Brown, Polly S Rust and Model Master Rust. The windows were heavily weathered with Floquil Dust. Chrome trim was covered with Bare-Metal Foil...also getting the rust treatment. This model was a pleasure to finish...I simply abandoned all my hard-learned cleanliness techniques and let the damage fall where it may. *GRIN*

55cameo264

55 ChevyCameo Front DSC9823

55 ChevyCameo RightHL DSC9824

55 ChevyCameo Mirror DSC9859

Detail Master ignition wires; battery cables (the grounding wire made from flattened, textured copper wire), a radiator hose from a broken headphone wire; carb linkage rod and LOTS of dirt, grease and spilled oil finished off the engine compartment.

The weathering materials used include Poly S Oily Black and Grimy Black, 4 or 5 Rust colored paints, various browns and blacks and all washed down with remnants from the bottom of the brush cleaning jar. The "aging" process occurred over about a 2 week period where I'd keep adding small touches of whatever was handy and felt right at the time. I'm a firm believer in model weathering simulating the real process for a realistic look.

55 ChevyCameo Battery DSC9858

Bottom DSC 6997

55cameo265

Mike

Edited by Foxer

That is really nice! You guys will have to teach me how to do the rusted look.

It's all pretty simple ... this was a fun build after so much dainty paint and polishing. The holes were ground out from behind with a Dremel. Just go slow and thin the plastic out. Let it go through where you want holes. This makes ragged holes just like rust. I did all this before painting but you can do after as well since all will be rusted up.

I then used about 4 colors of rust starting with the darker. Rust washes and some Rustall for texture were also added. I sat the truck by the computer and kept "rusting" it for a few weeks. Kept a few bottles of rust close by and kept raining on it.

You can hardly make a mistake with this. Toughest part is "unlearning" all those hard earned pristine painting techniques you've learned over the years and just mess it all up! ;)

It's all pretty simple ... this was a fun build after so much dainty paint and polishing. The holes were ground out from behind with a Dremel. Just go slow and thin the plastic out. Let it go through where you want holes. This makes ragged holes just like rust. I did all this before painting but you can do after as well since all will be rusted up.

I then used about 4 colors of rust starting with the darker. Rust washes and some Rustall for texture were also added. I sat the truck by the computer and kept "rusting" it for a few weeks. Kept a few bottles of rust close by and kept raining on it.

You can hardly make a mistake with this. Toughest part is "unlearning" all those hard earned pristine painting techniques you've learned over the years and just mess it all up! :lol:

Hey Foxer,

Taht was a great build. Still looks good after 15 years. Not to be a party pooper, but didn't Cameos have fiberglass rear fenders?

Gary

Mike, that came out GREAT! I know the Cameo's had fiberglass rear fenders, so the lead in is VERY helpful. Iwas lookin at it,and thought the taillight bezels were too shiney. At least a broken lens or sumpthin!THEN I saw it! The EXPOSED bulb in the left rear light! MAN was THAT EVER PERFECT!!!!!That, to me, makes it just too cool!!!All in all a GREAT BUILD!!! :lol::D:lol:

You can hardly make a mistake with this. Toughest part is "unlearning" all those hard earned pristine painting techniques you've learned over the years and just mess it all up! :lol:

Thanks

• 8 years later...

I've replaced all the links from Photobucket with ones from my Fotki account and it was pretty simple and quick! Uploading to Fotki was as simple as choosing off my hard disk and one drag to upload. Then just a cop/paste them back into this thread.

It looks like it will be easy to replace everything in my many build threads so it's a go!

Thanks to Photobucket for making me find a better way to post my photos!  :)