jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:45 PM

thanks for looking folks!

heres a quick update set of photos of the motor completed, save for positioning the exhaust pipes. i think i will have more luck doing it in situ than as the instrux indicate beforehand.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

that slot in the bottom plate engages into a tab on the top of the front suspension crossbeam.

couple immediate problems: one being the seam in the radiator pipe that i neglected to see until i took the photo a few minutes ago ;) once again, and also that stupid piece coming out of the front plate of the engine was supposed to hold a pulley with the stock belt arrangement. well guess what, with all the telling you to fill this and drill that, the instrux neglected to mention removing it so now its there. when i was assembling it i figured something fit on there. wrong again.

its gonna be a bear to get a razor saw in there now. maybe a dremel with the circular buzz saw blade will get it. or of course there always the sprue cutters and dealing with the cleanup afterwards.

or i could paint it flat black and pretend it is not there. dunno. ;)

#22 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,900 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:29 PM

That's a beautiful looking engine! ;)

Not sure exactly what part on front of engine you mean, but a buzz saw that close would make me nervous. I'd bet the sprue cutters and some paint will camouflage it from everyone ... especially once it's in the car. Would have to be one of those deep dark recesses it's in.

#23 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,659 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:40 PM

That engine looks so good, I wouldn't temp fate by messing around and trying to remove whatever it is that shouldn't be there.

Paint it flat black and ignore it. As said, once the model is finished and the engine is in place, you'll never notice that anything isn't as it should be. Great work so far... ;)

#24 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:47 PM

thanks for the encouragement folks, thats exactly what i did, just snipped it off and did the tip in silver from a silver sharpie. dont even notice it! now trying to make that top pulley look better!

thats the problem with macro lenses!

#25 vizio93

vizio93

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:27 PM

WOW SUCH DETAIL !!! :D

#26 FujimiLover

FujimiLover

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • Full Name:Marc

Posted 30 May 2009 - 05:04 PM

If that was a street car version, I'd have a perfect licensee plate for yea, CATNIP! LOL! Get it?
I wonder if I can build a KS Jaguar out of those! At least I think that's the same model Koenig did. I'll have to see if I can find a photo of one and post it.
Anyway, nice detailing, especially the wheels, look's very realistic! Wiring on the engine is awesome too!

#27 Raul_Perez

Raul_Perez

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:03 PM

Looking good, Bill!!

#28 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 06:12 PM

better late than never, i did some research and found:

Posted Image

shows me a couple of areas of improvement like removing the EFI harness and trimming it down to sit lower. and i should make some sort of airboxes which the kit seems to have ignored completely.

like i said, better late than never!

thanks again for looking, more pics to come.

#29 B_rad88

B_rad88

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts
  • Full Name:Brandon

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:09 AM

wow that looks awsome! i after seeing the orange brake tubing and the blue film(by the way what is that for?) that is the kit i had! and i am in search of another one!

keep you the awsome work! can't wait to see more!

#30 Jon Cole

Jon Cole

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,413 posts
  • Full Name:Jon... although my parents used to call me "KNOCK IT OFF!"

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:35 AM

Hmmm... no update from Bill in over 3 months. I hope this one hasn't found it's way to 'model cars- the dead zone' :rolleyes: It's too cool to give up on!

Meantime if ya need reference pics, I have some. Go to:

http://public.fotki....ritish/jaguar-/

Jump to page 4 for some XJ TWR pics. Hope this helps.

#31 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:30 PM

hey folks thanks for bringing this back up; i was going to update it soon as i have made a little progress and actually hope to get it done by NNL West for sure if not the end of the year.

>and i should make some sort of airboxes which the kit seems to have ignored completely.

i was totally wrong there: there are in fact some really cool airboxes and cooling routing under the hood so that is taken care of! maybe i should look at the instructions! :)

oh and that blue material is for making the seat harness arrangement that a lot of the photoetch is for. its actually what i will be doing next when i get a chance to spend time on it, so i will post some pics. its pretty standard stuff for harness making but i am interested in seeing how that material works out. i believe there are decals supplied for the belts so that plasticky material might work well.

#32 FujimiLover

FujimiLover

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • Full Name:Marc

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:55 AM

I'd like to find that kit and build the KS version!

#33 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:00 PM

well some progress to report!

first coats of paint are on but of course there is some clean up to do. there were darn seam marks right across the bonnet that of course i could not see until the paint was laid down! so the bonnet has been re-prepped and is ready for a second go at it. the body is looking good except that i failed to mask the front flares correctly so i have to go back and mask and shoot them green...shouldnt be too big a deal. there is a bit of paint distortion between the green and white right where the flares meet the body that needs to be cleaned up too. i think the clear between colors crept up under the masking somehow. it always happens. paint is tamiya pure white and racing green, and the green is surprisingly close to the box art so i am happy about that.

Posted Image

Posted Image

and just now, like right now just now, finished up the interior. the seat belts were pretty much a hairy bear but they look very nice now and the strange blue material they supply to make the belts actually works out very nicely. it lays flat like you want them to look, but it probably took me an hour of fiddling around with them to get them to look natural. its one thing for them to be there and another to look like they really belong there. the photoetch buckles and hooks really work well and the little p/e anchor points look cool too. this was all out of the box by the way. the recaro seat looks cool sprayed testors go mango and then weathered with some black and red wash. dashboard is pretty detailed and mostly it was just a bit of paint and future.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

so now i have to finish up the paint and just final assembly left i think!

still might be awhile! :lol:

#34 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:18 PM

ok back from the dead as it were, the jaguar has had its paint applied, front flares painted (i forgot when i was masking :D ), doesnt look great but ok for now...still need to do a color sand to blend the ridges and a coat of clear then the decals...but the rest of the components are done and waiting for good weather to lay on the clear!

Posted Image

Posted Image

components await the call:

Posted Image

Posted Image

this one will hopefully be done by the anniversary of my first post in this thread...

but i aint betting the pink slip on that.

#35 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:35 AM

alright let me revive this one...got some decals on, next to clear coat it and then hopefully get this puppy into the "under glass" section sometime before the end of summer!

pics to come after decals done...

#36 RodneyBad

RodneyBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,497 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:55 PM

Yaaaaa Whooooooooo :)

paint is looking Awesome.
Can't even see the touch up.
Sharp looking Interior..

Can't wait to see it finish..

#37 Alyn

Alyn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:56 AM

That is one slick paint job. Should look awesome all decked out with some racing decals. The engine really turned out nice. The little splashes of color here and there really bring it to life. Nice work.

#38 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:47 PM

just wanted to say to go check the one that got posted in the under glass section, very very nice build and its inspiring me to take some pics because progress is indeed progressing! meanwhile feast your eyes on krishna iskandana's beauty!

#39 Ddms

Ddms

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Kelly

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:03 PM

Very, very nice work. I'm BRG with envy.

#40 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 05:54 PM

as mentioned, some progress, decals on and clear coated and doing some detail painting and beginning final assembly of various components to each other!

Posted Image

Posted Image

the paint aint all it could be so i may polish it out a bit in places or at least give the whole thing a coat of Future in a week or so. as mentioned elsewhere the side stripe decals completely disintegrated (strange because the rest of them went on without a hitch) so i took some Tamiya masking tape, thin stuff, and painted it body color then cut out thin strips that i applied before clear coating decals. looks very nice i must say, much better than i thought it would turn out.

thanks again for looking!