New Project: Hasegawa Jaguar XJ-S H.E. TWR
Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:45 PM
heres a quick update set of photos of the motor completed, save for positioning the exhaust pipes. i think i will have more luck doing it in situ than as the instrux indicate beforehand.
that slot in the bottom plate engages into a tab on the top of the front suspension crossbeam.
couple immediate problems: one being the seam in the radiator pipe that i neglected to see until i took the photo a few minutes ago once again, and also that stupid piece coming out of the front plate of the engine was supposed to hold a pulley with the stock belt arrangement. well guess what, with all the telling you to fill this and drill that, the instrux neglected to mention removing it so now its there. when i was assembling it i figured something fit on there. wrong again.
its gonna be a bear to get a razor saw in there now. maybe a dremel with the circular buzz saw blade will get it. or of course there always the sprue cutters and dealing with the cleanup afterwards.
or i could paint it flat black and pretend it is not there. dunno.
Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:29 PM
Not sure exactly what part on front of engine you mean, but a buzz saw that close would make me nervous. I'd bet the sprue cutters and some paint will camouflage it from everyone ... especially once it's in the car. Would have to be one of those deep dark recesses it's in.
Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:40 PM
Paint it flat black and ignore it. As said, once the model is finished and the engine is in place, you'll never notice that anything isn't as it should be. Great work so far...
Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:47 PM
thats the problem with macro lenses!
Posted 30 May 2009 - 05:04 PM
I wonder if I can build a KS Jaguar out of those! At least I think that's the same model Koenig did. I'll have to see if I can find a photo of one and post it.
Anyway, nice detailing, especially the wheels, look's very realistic! Wiring on the engine is awesome too!
Posted 31 May 2009 - 06:12 PM
shows me a couple of areas of improvement like removing the EFI harness and trimming it down to sit lower. and i should make some sort of airboxes which the kit seems to have ignored completely.
like i said, better late than never!
thanks again for looking, more pics to come.
Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:09 AM
keep you the awsome work! can't wait to see more!
Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:35 AM
Meantime if ya need reference pics, I have some. Go to:
Jump to page 4 for some XJ TWR pics. Hope this helps.
Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:30 PM
>and i should make some sort of airboxes which the kit seems to have ignored completely.
i was totally wrong there: there are in fact some really cool airboxes and cooling routing under the hood so that is taken care of! maybe i should look at the instructions!
oh and that blue material is for making the seat harness arrangement that a lot of the photoetch is for. its actually what i will be doing next when i get a chance to spend time on it, so i will post some pics. its pretty standard stuff for harness making but i am interested in seeing how that material works out. i believe there are decals supplied for the belts so that plasticky material might work well.
Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:00 PM
first coats of paint are on but of course there is some clean up to do. there were darn seam marks right across the bonnet that of course i could not see until the paint was laid down! so the bonnet has been re-prepped and is ready for a second go at it. the body is looking good except that i failed to mask the front flares correctly so i have to go back and mask and shoot them green...shouldnt be too big a deal. there is a bit of paint distortion between the green and white right where the flares meet the body that needs to be cleaned up too. i think the clear between colors crept up under the masking somehow. it always happens. paint is tamiya pure white and racing green, and the green is surprisingly close to the box art so i am happy about that.
and just now, like right now just now, finished up the interior. the seat belts were pretty much a hairy bear but they look very nice now and the strange blue material they supply to make the belts actually works out very nicely. it lays flat like you want them to look, but it probably took me an hour of fiddling around with them to get them to look natural. its one thing for them to be there and another to look like they really belong there. the photoetch buckles and hooks really work well and the little p/e anchor points look cool too. this was all out of the box by the way. the recaro seat looks cool sprayed testors go mango and then weathered with some black and red wash. dashboard is pretty detailed and mostly it was just a bit of paint and future.
so now i have to finish up the paint and just final assembly left i think!
still might be awhile!
Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:18 PM
components await the call:
this one will hopefully be done by the anniversary of my first post in this thread...
but i aint betting the pink slip on that.
Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:35 AM
pics to come after decals done...
Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:55 PM
paint is looking Awesome.
Can't even see the touch up.
Sharp looking Interior..
Can't wait to see it finish..
Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:56 AM
Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:47 PM
Posted 01 May 2010 - 05:54 PM
the paint aint all it could be so i may polish it out a bit in places or at least give the whole thing a coat of Future in a week or so. as mentioned elsewhere the side stripe decals completely disintegrated (strange because the rest of them went on without a hitch) so i took some Tamiya masking tape, thin stuff, and painted it body color then cut out thin strips that i applied before clear coating decals. looks very nice i must say, much better than i thought it would turn out.
thanks again for looking!