Differences between the AMT Kenworth cabover kits.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 mrglubaum

mrglubaum

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:06 AM

I recently bought a couple of old built Kenworth cabovers off eBay figuring on rebuilding them. I plan to use the parts from the recently reissued K-100 Aerodynes to fix them up.
I noticed right off that the older kits used Cummins engines and manual transmissions, where the Aerodynes have Detroit engines with Allison automatic transmissions. The Aerodyne kit has the 8-bag air ride suspension. One of the old builts had a walking beam suspension, and the other has the torsion bar setup. Did the first issue of the K-123 have the torsion bars, like the first issue of the W-series? Or has someone swapped out the rear suspension? All the others I've seen have the walking beams.

#2 ultraliner13

ultraliner13

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 07:58 PM

Hi Lee Hartman,

The very original Kenworth did come out with the torsion bar setup and you are very lucky to get one.

If you can find a copy of building model Trucks by Phil Jenson there is a photo of the torsion bar setup and chassie ready to be painted.

You are quite right on the kit being changed to spring and then the Aerodyne was released as a new kit later on.

I hope to see your Kenworth torsion bar setup on this website some day.

Cheers

John Wilson