#41 cruz

cruz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts
  • Full Name:Marcos Cruz

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:51 PM

Here are some comparisons when using the newly released Revell Nova kit, the engine seems more at home on this car!!!
Posted ImageHosted on Fotki
I even compared it to the engine from my recently completed Starliner and look at how big
it is considering that the Starliner was a pretty big car!!!

#42 cruz

cruz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:58 PM

So as you guys can see this engine is no joke, it will however go just right with bigger bodied cars. It is beautiful and I will definetly use it in another project but I think I will be deciding on a different engine for this kit. Up to now, I will keep Mike's advice about the Grand National engine in the back of my head but please feel free to give me some ideas!! Thanks for taking your time and seeing my project fellas!!!

#43 Marc @ MPC Motorsports

Marc @ MPC Motorsports

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Location:Oklahoma...where the wind comes sweeping down the plain!!!

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:43 PM

Hey Cruz!

Not trying to steal your thread here, but I thought I would share what I did to a Vega back in 2003.
Posted Image
I used the SBC from an MPC Chevy Monza kit with intake and front accessories from an AMT 1997 Camaro LT1 motor. Even the headers were from the Monza kit. This motor fits like a glove in the Vega since the Vega and Monza were cousins under the sheet metal.
Posted Image
I plumbed the headers into the Vega chassis and made a two-into-one-into-two exhaust system using the molded in components of the chassis.
Posted Image
Posted Image
I used Pegasus IROK's for rolling stock. The fronts were narrowed to fit Revell Acura Tuner tires. I hope this helps a little and feel free to PM me with any questions. There are more pics in my Fotki, just click the link in my sig.

Marc

#44 cruz

cruz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:50 AM

Hey Cruz!

Not trying to steal your thread here, but I thought I would share what I did to a Vega back in 2003.
Posted Image
I used the SBC from an MPC Chevy Monza kit with intake and front accessories from an AMT 1997 Camaro LT1 motor. Even the headers were from the Monza kit. This motor fits like a glove in the Vega since the Vega and Monza were cousins under the sheet metal.
Posted Image
I plumbed the headers into the Vega chassis and made a two-into-one-into-two exhaust system using the molded in components of the chassis.
Posted Image
Posted Image
I used Pegasus IROK's for rolling stock. The fronts were narrowed to fit Revell Acura Tuner tires. I hope this helps a little and feel free to PM me with any questions. There are more pics in my Fotki, just click the link in my sig.

Marc

WOW!! Nice Marc, your'e not stealing threads here, your'e helping. Great idea and you used the actual kit chassis which is what I want to do! I will keep that in mind, I should have that engine in my spare kits or at the least something similar!! Nice job on your Vega!!! :lol: ;)

#45 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:51 AM

Cruz, if you really want to pysche 'em out, stick an RX-7 rotary in there! ;)

I thought I read somewhere that the Vega was originally supposed to get a rotary, but Chevy decided on the 4 banger instead, as the rotary wasn't quite efficient enough for GM in those days.

Just a thought! :lol:

#46 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,848 posts
  • Full Name:George53

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:00 AM

To be honest with you Marcos, that engine DOES look kinda big for 25th scale. Looks more BB size than SB. There's also a neet v-6 in the Monogram El Camino that has a nice look to it when complete.I'm talking about the Bass Fishing set. But I think the other versions had one too. I got a couple, let me know if ya need one, I got 2 GNX turbo motors too.Let me know an they're yours. :lol:

#47 cruz

cruz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:31 AM

To be honest with you Marcos, that engine DOES look kinda big for 25th scale. Looks more BB size than SB. There's also a neet v-6 in the Monogram El Camino that has a nice look to it when complete.I'm talking about the Bass Fishing set. But I think the other versions had one too. I got a couple, let me know if ya need one, I got 2 GNX turbo motors too.Let me know an they're yours. ;)

Thanks George, very thoughtful of you. Let me see what I come up with at home because the guys are also suggesting a rotary engine which I have a few of and I know I also have a few other engines to look through to finally decide.... :lol: ;)

#48 Ron Hamilton

Ron Hamilton

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
  • Full Name:Ronald Hamilton

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:48 AM

Thanks George, very thoughtful of you. Let me see what I come up with at home because the guys are also suggesting a rotary engine which I have a few of and I know I also have a few other engines to look through to finally decide.... :D ;)

Marcos,

It seems to me that the Ross Gibson engines are 1/24 scale in most cases. Every one I've had has been larger than the comparable engine in the kit, but thay have very nice detail, and will build up beautifully. I like the direction you are taking with the Vega. Which ever color you choose, the result should be georgeous. I have a two Vegas, one I intend to do as a Cosworth, and one which will be done as "Grumpy's Toy", as soon as I finish the research on them. B)

#49 cruz

cruz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:35 PM

Went searching for some models up in my attic to help me with this project and found a few ideas on the way. Once I saw the Grand National engine, that pretty much sealed the deal for the project. The size is perfect either way you look at it. Looks a lot more to scale for this project so I have to thank Mike for his suggestion!! I am using the new Revell "donk" Grand National kit for this.
I know, I know, it's a horrible site with them big as%# tires and rims but that's not why I'm using this kit!! :rolleyes:
Even the height is just perfect since the front rake will be pretty low, I don't want my oil pan hitting the speed bumps around the streets in my 'hood!!
I even like the fact that the engine will go nicely with the kit's engine bay and I still have the option to put a smaller transmission to make final installment much easier!!
Here's a size comparison shot for visual purposes, pretty much this says it all, that Ross Gibson engine is quite big. The GN engine will look a lot "busier" once I add the rest of the parts to it. It's funny, the Ross Gibson engine uses the exact transmission found in this GN kit so now we know where they got it from!!!!

#50 E St. Kruiser50

E St. Kruiser50

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • Full Name:David Susan

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:56 PM

SCARY :rolleyes: if this was a real car.
A buddy has an '86 GN that I've driven, and even at 4500#, it's a shear rocket with the turbo charger and inter-cooler.
On a real car you'd need wheelie bars to keep the front end down - seriously.

This would be a serious street machine if it were a real car.

#51 Tommy Kortman

Tommy Kortman

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Full Name:Tommy

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:33 PM

Cruz,

This looks like it's going to be another one of your great jobs. Man you've come a long way from that trip to Long island a handful of years ago. (You remember...the trip where you almost getting run over by Ariel :lol: ) :rolleyes:
I liked the 1st set of wheels. I think I'd paint them up in a gunmetal grey color. I also love the yellow and black scheme pictured above, but what about instead of the single black graphic, go with the traditional SS stripes. If you go with the Hugger Orange, try White stripes. I alway thought that looked cool on the 69 Camaros.
As for the power plant, it looks like your going with the GN v-6, but if it's not too late, if you are going for the Pro-touring look, why not a NASCAR small block chevy out of one of the mulitiude of those offerings? I believe that he amt versions were 1/25, so the motor wont look huge.

#52 Guest_JamesDE_*

Guest_JamesDE_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:11 PM

###### bro, this is turning out to be one wicked project! I cant wait to see the end results!

#53 cruz

cruz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:05 AM

Cruz,

This looks like it's going to be another one of your great jobs. Man you've come a long way from that trip to Long island a handful of years ago. (You remember...the trip where you almost getting run over by Ariel :blink: ) :lol:
I liked the 1st set of wheels. I think I'd paint them up in a gunmetal grey color. I also love the yellow and black scheme pictured above, but what about instead of the single black graphic, go with the traditional SS stripes. If you go with the Hugger Orange, try White stripes. I alway thought that looked cool on the 69 Camaros.
As for the power plant, it looks like your going with the GN v-6, but if it's not too late, if you are going for the Pro-touring look, why not a NASCAR small block chevy out of one of the mulitiude of those offerings? I believe that he amt versions were 1/25, so the motor wont look huge.

Thanks Tommy! I like your ideas also, the Chevy stripes are always a nice touch. I want to keep the last pair of rims and tires, I have always loved the look of the Weld Stars and with that metal rim they look even better. I still want the old school type of muscle look, you know, the "I take the car to work everyday but race it on the weekends" type of thing. I am still in between painting it yellow or orange, I have some Chevy stripes from a 69 Camaro I had laying around there but will have to cut them down and somehow work around adding them to this build. I am also seeing some nice Grand National decals on the GN kit's decal sheet that I may be adding to the Vega, sort of a "powered by Buick" or "GN" type of theme!

By the way, after almost loosing my leg in that incident with Ariel years ago at the Liar's show, theres no reason to get better at this hobby than with that kind of inspiration!! :)

#54 cruz

cruz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:58 AM

This is more or less what I am going for, found this nice photo on the Internet!!! :lol: :)

#55 Robert81

Robert81

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Taphorn

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:45 AM

your Vega Is look great.

So as you guys can see this engine is no joke, it will however go just right with bigger bodied cars.

Looking at the engine, I'm thinking it 1:24 scale rather than 1:25.

#56 Roadkill2525

Roadkill2525

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Full Name:You know what it is.

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:48 AM

All hail the LC2!!!

Posted Image

#57 cruz

cruz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,467 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:59 AM

All hail the LC2!!!

Posted Image

Nice picture, thanks, I can always use some reference!! Anybody else got more??? I will be eternally grateful for any help provided, specially if you guys know someone w/ the real car and can snap some pics!!!!! :P B)

#58 Irvin Arter Jr.

Irvin Arter Jr.

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:57 PM

COOL project! If you go with the modern wheels. I would use the Buick V-6 but, If you use the drag style wheels I would use a V8. No matter which way you go you can still use the "ARTERAKE" (HAHA)

#59 Roadkill2525

Roadkill2525

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Full Name:You know what it is.

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:22 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#60 stevegt738

stevegt738

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:47 PM

Cruz, I think the V6 Turbo would be perfect for such a light car. One thing you need to change with the kit engine is the Turbo itself, the kit one is horrendous. I used one from an Iteleri Mercedes V8 truck for my `87 GNX.
What i started with
Posted Image
I did toy with a twin Turbo set up
Posted Image
but went with a single.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Here is a twin Turbo pic i found.
Posted Image
Imagine that in your Vega.