#142 Blown03SVT

Blown03SVT

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Full Name:Eric Terry

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:38 AM

Why can't "they" talk about it, Dave?  It's not national security.  No one will die.  There's not a court-issued 'gag' order, is there? 

All this cloak and dagger stuff about 'the truth' would seem to be hyperbole.  It's just an old, defunct manufacturing company that's ... dare I say it? ... gone.

It's more amusing to speculate on the "Legend of JoHan" anyways. Seems as though some of the relaible sources have put most of the history in place. Was a interesting read.

#143 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts
  • Full Name:Ed Shaver

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:57 AM

we don't want the cat outta tha bag....... :P  ;)  ^_^

MEOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW........................

#144 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:31 AM

Reliable sources indeed. We keep hearing this kind of stuff (?) over and over from the " Reliable sources" it's almost like it's a secret club or something.

2009-11-25-secret%20club.gif

#145 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:34 AM

Speaking of Johan kits, what are the differences between the Sox & Martin Superbird and the Petty one?    I have the Petty one...I assume the wheels/tires and decals are different in the S&M one, any other differences in parts?

#146 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:40 AM

Sox & Martin http://public.fotki....an_sox__martin/

Petty http://public.fotki....-superbird-by-/

They look to be the same except decals

Edited by Greg Myers, 22 March 2013 - 05:54 AM.

#147 johnbuzzed

johnbuzzed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Full Name:John "the Buzzard" Buzzerio

In the early 1980's (1980-84) I worked for a burglar alarm company in Detroit, one of the older accounts was the Jo Han building on Moran. Over the years I had to go there 4 or 5 times to do repairs to their alarm system. Other than the fact they made model cars there-It was like every other machine shop we went to. I do remember they had an addition/lean to built on the rear of the building where they stored what looked like the dies/molds shown above.

A couple of years ago I talked to my old boss from the alarm company and he told me he had that account back when it was called "Ideal Models" and he remembers John Hanley very well.

It was a bad neighbor hood even back then- And another funny thing is the address listed on the original box art, it said "17255 Moran, Detroit Michigan 48212" which is not Detroit at all-it's technically Hamtramck.

Isn't Hamtramck a neighborhood in Detroit, much like SoHo in NYC or Meyers Park in Charlotte?

#148 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Why can't "they" talk about it, Dave?  It's not national security.  No one will die.  There's not a court-issued 'gag' order, is there? 

'They' probably signed NDAs..or they are saving their secrets for a lucrative tell all book deal.  :)

#149 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:42 AM

Isn't Hamtramck a neighborhood in Detroit, much like SoHo in NYC or Meyers Park in Charlotte?

No, separate city.  But surrounded by Detroit.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamtramck

Edited by Rob Hall, 22 March 2013 - 05:43 AM.

#150 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,224 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:52 AM

It's more amusing to speculate on the "Legend of JoHan" anyways. Seems as though some of the relaible sources have put most of the history in place. Was a interesting read.

While true that the JO-HAN story is rather entertaining, it never ended, and that's what makes it so fascinating to me. I don't hold out any hope there will be a storage locker in Romeo filled with JO-HAN tooling inserts, but some of the tooling does still exist, and it came oh so close to being put back to work.  :)

Besides, you never know what you might find on the internet...

JoHan003-vi.jpg

JoHan005-vi.jpg

JoHan007-vi.jpg

JoHan008-vi.jpg

The building at the Romeo, MI address is still there, but is now "Plastic Products". Not sure when and what all changed after the Seville Enterprises court dealings were settled, but I have some more digging to do.  ;)

#151 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,224 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:58 AM

HobbyHeavenpictures013-vi.jpg

#152 Ace-Garageguy

Ace-Garageguy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,564 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Engwer

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:59 AM

Fascinating.

#153 John Goschke

John Goschke

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:14 AM

The truth is out there.....but those that know it all can't talk about it. IMC has given up on the reissues...but who knows....

Start talkin,' Van, or the dog gets it!!

#154 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,857 posts
  • Full Name:George53

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:20 AM

NOOOO NOT THE DOGGG!!!!

#155 mr68gts

mr68gts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Mendoza

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:24 AM

in reading the post by casey showing Johan letters, it looks the the writing was on the wall then. If something is out of stock it will be canceled from your order if substitution is not acceptable. That in it self tells me they KNEW they had nothing they could work with and that once remaining stock is depleted it's done and gone.

I wish I had picked up more of Johans stuff when it was collecting dust on shelves in the late 80's, early 90's. I remember a hobby shop having tons of it, literaly a whole shelf of Johan and I passed it all up. Some of it was older stock that never sold! So I continue to buy as I can when I can at inflated prices. Johan is dead. It's been dead for a long time and the hope and dreams of one man (Okey) went with it. Sadly no matter how much he tries he don't have the capitol to bring it back. If that much of Johan is missing then it would be far easier to start a new company than resurrect this dead beaten horse.

Paul

#156 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:25 AM

128989998310766587.jpg

#157 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,224 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:47 AM

If that much of Johan is missing then it would be far easier to start a new company than resurrect this dead beaten horse.

I don't think most people want to see the company revived, but it would be nice to have some of the kits back. Now granted, some of the existing kits sell for $30-$50 ('62 Dodge convertible seems to be one on the lower end of the price scale), so that's only $10 more than what IMC planned to retail the '74 Olds for.

I've said it before, but JO-HAN's promo style chassis' and interiors really never appealed to me, but the bodies sure were gorgeous and well-proportioned, and it's clear the JO-HAN name still has a lot of recognition.

Not sure who "markdoo" (Mark Taylor, maybe?) and "Promo 55" are on the SA forum, but here's more fuel for the JO-HAN fire: http://cs.scaleautom...3/t/106783.aspx

#158 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:11 AM

promo style chassis aside the engines were killer.

1964PlymouthFuryJOHAN2-vi.jpgBest exhaust headers everFile-vi.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers, 22 March 2013 - 07:13 AM.

#159 hvymtl

hvymtl

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • Full Name:Michael Smith

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

I would love to see the Comet and all the Amx's especially the Trans-Am version. I loved the Pro Stock cars . About a year ago i bought 2 Sox&Martin Superbirds for about 50.00 the quality of the body on the one sucks the other is nice and I will use the reissued amt mopars for the chassis on them too. I really enjoyed the History of the company, Thanks to all who have wrote in. Michael

#160 Tom Geiger

Tom Geiger

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts
  • Full Name:Tom Geiger

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

The building at the Romeo, MI address is still there, but is now "Plastic Products". 

John Hanley's primary business wasn't model cars but plastic parts for the auto industry. The "Plastic Products" company at that address probably is his old company.  Legend was that in later years Johan wasn't a full time concern.  When ever production was needed, John would move employees from his main business over to the Johan building to crank out a run. That also explains the inconsistent and sometimes odd colors of the plastics used.

The issue with Johan kits as far back as the USA Oldies series, a lot of the cars issued were incomplete and mismatched between car, interior and dashboard.  Someone said the wrong engine was in the AMX and we know that the Scrambler was really a '66 American. So they were piecing stuff together that far back.  

Aside from the other kits we feel the tooling exists for, there's reasonable expectations that Okey also had molds for the '31 Caddy and '34 Mercedes, at least to make one version of each car. There were several versions of each car, (Phaeton, Cabrolet and Brougham limo on the Caddy and open and coupe on the Mercedes) but I remember on Okey's first sales list he showed a one of each car being tooled as Rat Rods.

Another comment on the  tools is that the Chrysler Turbine car that Okey pressed was the promo so we know that one exists. I believe the full detail kit was a second tool and we do not know the fate.