Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rat Rodders

Hello Everyone,

I'm building a 1951 Ford F-1 rat rod...Totally slammed.

I've seen 1:1 rat rods that have huge wheels in the rear...almost bus size tires

I would like to build the same in 1/24 scale. My question is how does the drive shaft connect with

the rear differential when the "bus" tires bring the differential up higher than the rest of the driveline??

Do they use a type of transfer case or do they just have the drive shaft angled to meet the rear end??

The whole point of a "rat rod" is that it's totally made up. There are no rules, there is no logic. It's all about fitting together a bunch of unrelated parts and somehow making it work.

Use your imagination... that's how it's done... :P

BTW... I don't think there's ever been a rat rod so "evolved" as to actually use a transfer case. That level of engineering would kind of go against the spirit of a rat rod...

You guys are right...but some people are taking rad rodding more seriously...I'm mean more engineering and artistic thought are being put in these things.

I love the direction some of these guys are going!

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http...t%3D72%26um%3D1

click on the link to see more of this radical rod!!!

Edited by samurai7

That's where it gets tricky.

There's a difference between a "real" rat rod and a car that's intentionally made to look like a "real" rat rod.

"Real" rat rods were never called "rat rods"... they were "hot rods", and they were built by combining cheap, easy-to-find parts from other cars, the junkyard, etc. There was no attempt to create a "rat rod" look. The look was just a byproduct of how the car was built... a collection of mismatched bits and pieces, sometimes from several different makes/models of cars.

Nowadays, we have a whole new subculture of "rat rods" that are intentionally made to look as if they were put together randomly from junk parts. It's sort of like a "counterfeit" rat rod. Yes, they're real cars, but they are being created to look like "rat rods" on purpose. For example, the welds on the chopped top are left raw, not because the builder didn't have the time or money to bother with them (like a "real" hot rodder might have done it), but because that's the "look" a rat rod is "supposed" to have. It's a whole different intent from the builder. Maybe it's splitting hairs, but I think there's a difference between a real, old-school hot rod and a new, "made to look old" rat rod.

A process I have used in some of my un-godly slammed rats is to use a two (or even three) piece driveshaft (with a carrier bearing, of course!) Maybe not practical, but it does add a small degree of realism, and it does connect the axle to the tranny!

Alternatively, on one of my "less-than-realistic" rat rod builds, I solved the driveshaft issue (and eliminated the driveshaft/trans hump in the floor of the channeled and chopped cab) by making the rod front wheel drive, and just hanging a solid rear "dead" axle out in back. I'm not very happy with this particular build of mine, but maybe you could even try something like that if you're really nutso.

A process I have used in some of my un-godly slammed rats is to use a two (or even three) piece driveshaft (with a carrier bearing, of course!) Maybe not practical, but it does add a small degree of realism, and it does connect the axle to the tranny!

Alternatively, on one of my "less-than-realistic" rat rod builds, I solved the driveshaft issue (and eliminated the driveshaft/trans hump in the floor of the channeled and chopped cab) by making the rod front wheel drive, and just hanging a solid rear "dead" axle out in back. I'm not very happy with this particular build of mine, but maybe you could even try something like that if you're really nutso.

I've been checking out how rock crawlers are set up...the use a high angle drive shaft to keep the drive shaft up high into the frame and it angles downward t'wards the rear diff. I might use this but " inverted" so I can have the driveline slammed to the ground and angled upwards t'wards the rear diff...This way I can put these tall "bus" tires in the back.

That's where it gets tricky.

There's a difference between a "real" rat rod and a car that's intentionally made to look like a "real" rat rod.

"Real" rat rods were never called "rat rods"... they were "hot rods", and they were built by combining cheap, easy-to-find parts from other cars, the junkyard, etc. There was no attempt to create a "rat rod" look. The look was just a byproduct of how the car was built... a collection of mismatched bits and pieces, sometimes from several different makes/models of cars.

Nowadays, we have a whole new subculture of "rat rods" that are intentionally made to look as if they were put together randomly from junk parts. It's sort of like a "counterfeit" rat rod. Yes, they're real cars, but they are being created to look like "rat rods" on purpose. For example, the welds on the chopped top are left raw, not because the builder didn't have the time or money to bother with them (like a "real" hot rodder might have done it), but because that's the "look" a rat rod is "supposed" to have. It's a whole different intent from the builder. Maybe it's splitting hairs, but I think there's a difference between a real, old-school hot rod and a new, "made to look old" rat rod.

AMEN brother!

Rat rods were built by guys with little to no money, who WANTED a hot rod. They couldn't afford to build a real "fine" rod. The look that is replicated today is a fad and never existed, taken to extremes of how horrible or low buck you can go. Rat rods did exist and they were called that back in the day by the guys who had nice clean rods. "check out Johnny's rat rod, it's so ratty I bet rats come out of his tailpipe!".....it was JUST a saying! It was not an actual STYLE.... I think if a person wants to truly replicate a rat rod, it should be done with taste. Weathering, primer and some mixed parts with taste. Putting a set of pro touring wheels on a rusty bucket and decorating it with spikes , spider webs and barbed wire is NOT a rat rod of the OLD days.....that's a modern day misfit , reborn ...new fad called rat rods and it's a shame they are referred to as such because the guys that know what a real one is....are embarrassed to use the term because everyone automatically thinks a rat rod has dad's wrenches welded to everything.

Have fun building what you like in scale! I think there is a certain art that comes from these things in the modeling world, but I don't believe it should be taken seriously in the 1:1 world...just my opinion.

You guys are right...but some people are taking rad rodding more seriously...I'm mean more engineering and artistic thought are being put in these things.

I love the direction some of these guys are going!

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http...t%3D72%26um%3D1

click on the link to see more of this radical rod!!!

I looked at this image after my last reply. This is exactly what I was talking about. The car is no longer usable. I think a nice chop would have been cool, but it's so cut up , it's destroyed. Something that old really deserves better in my opinion. The damage along the rocker in front of the rear wheel probably came after building it like this.....these guys like to drive them that low for "show" and end up beating the heck out of them even more. I don't understand why it's cool to beat stuff up like that.

img_8766-small.JPG

I've been checking out how rock crawlers are set up...the use a high angle drive shaft to keep the drive shaft up high into the frame and it angles downward t'wards the rear diff. I might use this but " inverted" so I can have the driveline slammed to the ground and angled upwards t'wards the rear diff...This way I can put these tall "bus" tires in the back.

One of the tricks they also use is a slider yoke to prevent bind

I looked at this image after my last reply. This is exactly what I was talking about. The car is no longer usable. I think a nice chop would have been cool, but it's so cut up , it's destroyed. Something that old really deserves better in my opinion. The damage along the rocker in front of the rear wheel probably came after building it like this.....these guys like to drive them that low for "show" and end up beating the heck out of them even more. I don't understand why it's cool to beat stuff up like that.

img_8766-small.JPG

I don't know either Bob, but it reminds me of buddys that have 4X4 trucks...lets see how much I spend on the truck for a weekend of fun!!! B)

Edited by MikeMc

Just a footnote...That Radical Rod was sold to Paul Tracy..

So there is a niche for these "stylized" rat rods...I've seen more radical chops than this.....there will always be someone raising the bar...or should i say lowering it.

• 1 month later...

img_8766-small.JPG

THIS type of low stance is probably a symptom of the 'slam bag' dudes. In this day and age, since the advent (or at least the increased popularity) of air suspensions, some cars will never be low enough for some!

This would be a fun car to build a model of, but I wouldn't want it as a 1:1. I love the rats, but you can take it too far! With a model, though- who cares? It doesn't have to drive or be safe or, well, do anything else but sit on a shelf all pretty-like. You know... I'm probably sure I've got five or six builds even more extreme than this. (No billet wheels though, sorry!)