48 replies to this topic

#41 S10man

S10man

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:01 PM

In addition to Ken's question, I have another. Does the future hold up to any type of paint going over it? On my current build I'm going to use Tamiya primers. The Tamiya won't attack the Future, will it?

I'll jump in with my experience, namely that most paints except the hottest lacquers will not affect Future.

#42 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:17 PM

Ken,

I airbrushed the Future right onto the bare plastic..............you don't have to thin it since it is quite thin right out of the bottle. I like to wait a couple hours or maybe overnight for it to dry and then take 600 grit sandpaper and very lightly sand out any airbubbles that might form.

Steve,

I've not tried Tamiya's paints over Future.....all the paints I have used were acrylic enamels, such as Dupont.

Here's a couple pics of a '55 T-Bird I built back in '99............this was Monogram's '56 I converted to a '55 and molded in that terrible red plastic! Looking at the car, you'd find it hard to believe it was molded in that color. I shot the Future on the bare plastic first and then primered it.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Like anything..............I would test it on something scrap to see how it'll react.

Hope this helps! :)

P.S. I ran across this website about how a military guy uses Future.......I think you'll find it interesting------ click HERE to check it out!

#43 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 09 December 2006 - 05:10 PM

The interior is the next and last major thing to do. I started with flocking the floor..........I like to do this square by square as the paint dries kinda fast. I used Tamiya flat black as a base (water based acrylic).

Posted Image

The dash was next on the agenda. Revell's instructions tell you to put the clear lens in place and then put the decal on the clear lens. This doesn't make sense because the adhesive is on the wrong side............

Posted Image

What I did was dip the decal in water as usual, but then laid the decal on the lens and then brushed it with Tamiya clear X-22. This helped flatten out the decal and also made it adhere to the lens without any distortion.

Posted Image

The seats, dash, side panels, and console, were painted with Testors Acryl Aircraft Black. Today's black interiors are not a pure black, but kind of a charcoal color. This stuff is great to get that effect!

Posted Image
Posted Image

Well guys and gals that'll be the last update.............It's the little details that need done now, painting the window trim and headliner, putting in the head and taillights, etc........

Keep an eye on the "Under Glass" column as I'm gonna try to get this one done before next Saturday (meeting day). :wink:

Stay tuned!

#44 Mr. Metallic

Mr. Metallic

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 04:13 AM

The dash was next on the agenda. Revell's instructions tell you to put the clear lens in place and then put the decal on the clear lens. This doesn't make sense because the adhesive is on the wrong side............

Posted Image

Bill, I simply skipped the water step with the gauges. I cut them out and glued them to the backside of the lenses. Two routes to the same result.

#45 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 05:11 AM

Bill, I simply skipped the water step with the gauges. I cut them out and glued them to the backside of the lenses. Two routes to the same result.

Yeah, I didn't realize I coulda did that until after the decal was off the backing! :oops:

It's been a long time since I used dashboard decals! :mrgreen:

#46 cruz

cruz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,653 posts
  • Full Name:Marcos Cruz

Posted 11 December 2006 - 11:17 AM

Can't wait for this one to be completed, thanks for all the advice and for not hiding whatever it is that you do with your models, you are a rolling school man :wink:

#47 Mopar_madness

Mopar_madness

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 11:23 AM

wow that thing looks great . :D

#48 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,902 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 03:40 PM

Thanks all you guys for all the nice and helpful comments!

I'll try to get this all done by Friday evening, so keep an eye on the "Under Glass" section for pics.

There's only a few more things to do, but working third shift can take its toll on any building during the daytime! :)

#49 Pro Tech

Pro Tech

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:34 PM

Bill
Mustang looks great! super job.... Love the color combo. Looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Later

Charlie
Pro Tech