31 replies to this topic

#1 abedooley

abedooley

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:17 PM

Hey guys...... Its been awhile since I've posted anything in this area. I think I may have had a very small post on this build almost a year ago. I have quite a bit done now. Not as much as I should though. Okay, on with the pics.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Rear guard with the hand made diamond plate tail light box. I also filled in the tail gate and original tail light recesses for a smoother look.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Hand made tube bumper with diamond plate cover. The cover shown is not the one being used. Changed it to a smaller scale.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by abedooley, 23 July 2009 - 01:24 PM.

#2 abedooley

abedooley

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:18 PM

Seats from the Aoshima 4Runner. Blue is just tape and that part will be carbon fiber. The seat frame allows the seats to slide back and forth. The center console is hand made, opens, and has cup holders.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
440 MOPAR from the new Charger Special Edition with hand made intake that will be remade because the tubes are not straight. Also some pics of the heavily modified radiator with hand made fill neck and cap.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 abedooley

abedooley

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:20 PM

Custom frame and body mounts.
Posted Image
Hand made bead locks and Locking hubs.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Heres the rolling chassis pics. This is cloe to the finished ride height. These are not the axles I'll be using. I'll be using Dana 60's.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 abedooley

abedooley

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:20 PM

Door jams and Shackles. I'm in the process of making the tubular half doors now.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Any comments or questions welcome.
More pics on my Photobucket.

#5 diymirage

diymirage

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,507 posts
  • Full Name:Eelco Egelmeer

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:38 PM

that is looking pretty sick

not sure if its a military vehicle though, i mean, would the military really fork out the money for those kind of seats (I.E. creature comfort)

all the custom work is great
:lol:

#6 Guest_Gassersgarage_*

Guest_Gassersgarage_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:53 PM

I really like everything you've got going there... except the hood scoop :lol: . What are you doing for the suspension? Your post has got me wanting to dig out an old build I had started nearly ten years ago, it has those big Swamper tires, but lost steam when it came to the suspension..

Robert

#7 abedooley

abedooley

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:29 PM

I totally forgot to add what is making this a Military "THEME" scout. Heres the paint scheme as of now.

Decals: Military stars either in front or behind the doors, Military ID numbers, and maybe a pinup.
Olive Drab: Body and Beadlocks.
Flat Black: Under body/frame, roll cage (still debating on a metalizer paint for the tube work), and grille.
Fabric Gray or Fabric Tan: Interior tub.
Seats will be either black or a dark gray with carbon fiber decal in the center.
The 440 MAGNUM will be Chrysler Engine Red. I know, I know. It might look odd to have everything a flat camo color with a BRIGHT RED motor, but I have the idea to make it all dirtied up except the motor. I want to make it look like it was taken out and romped then blew the old motor and this is the new upgrade.

As far as the suspension goes: 4-Link front and rear, coil overs, and I still need to order some Heim joints from RB Motion. I also still need to find the proper military decals. I have some saved in the PC, but I'm not good at the printing process. Always looks blurry. The hood is a Challenger T/A scoop. I like it. You're the only person whose said that so far.

Edited by abedooley, 23 July 2009 - 03:31 PM.

#8 RodneyBad

RodneyBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,501 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:38 PM

What can I say with out getting Bleeped out? ;)
Frinkin Jaw Droppin Awesome
First thing, I think the seat mounts might be a Lil High but I haven't seen a 1:1 scout in a while.
But judging by the way you build,
You KNOW what your doing.
Besides, I like set up tall and you'll need to to see over the front.
So don't mind me.
It looks Awesome, I love the front Bumper, cage, Wheels.
The Hubs.
THE HUBS! look Dead on Perfect.
I Need a BIGGER pic to see those.(so I can Copy how you did'em ;) )
Great Beadlocks and taillights
Great back bumper and Jerry can holder.
Body looks great with out the doors.
Well, Actually, Everything is Looking dead On.
Great looking Engine and the Mopar scoop.
Nice intake.
Frame and body mounts look great.
Darn! I can't wait to see how the suspension Goes..

Yup, I'm a 4X4 type of guy too. :D

#9 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,983 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:50 PM

Every little detail I look at is a beautiful piece of work!

#10 abedooley

abedooley

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:06 PM

Thanks for the extremely nice words. As for the hubs........ I can't take credit for that. Here is the tutorial on the hubs and ALOT more..... The guy's name is Larry and his screen name is Big Ed. He takes something that we can't wrap our mind around and he'll simplify it down to a 2nd grade level. Check out all of his builds and tutorials. He has got some serious talent, especially when it comes to TRUCKS. We hang out on a forum dedicated to dirt racing, rock crawling, general offroad trucks, and lots more.
Hub tutorial: http://s46.photobuck...g... Trail Rig/
Larry's Photobucket: http://s46.photobuck...f135/BigEd0601/
Desert Racing Modelers: http://doghaus.proboards.com/index.cgi

The only problem with this forum is that once you register, you have to wait for the moderator to approve the "account". It took me like 2 weeks to finally get approved because he was too busy then (it was right before x-mas). But its worth the wait. If you build anything offroad then you know that its almost impossible to find good aftermarket parts for our particular brand of modeling and this site is like a yellowbook for Fabrication, links, inspiration, and just SICK offroad builds. Just check it out.

#11 RodneyBad

RodneyBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,501 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for the extremely nice words. As for the hubs........ I can't take credit for that. Here is the tutorial on the hubs and ALOT more..... The guy's name is Larry and his screen name is Big Ed. He takes something that we can't wrap our mind around and he'll simplify it down to a 2nd grade level. Check out all of his builds and tutorials. He has got some serious talent, especially when it comes to TRUCKS. We hang out on a forum dedicated to dirt racing, rock crawling, general offroad trucks, and lots more.
Hub tutorial: http://s46.photobuck...g... Trail Rig/
Larry's Photobucket: http://s46.photobuck...f135/BigEd0601/
Desert Racing Modelers: http://doghaus.proboards.com/index.cgi

The only problem with this forum is that once you register, you have to wait for the moderator to approve the "account". It took me like 2 weeks to finally get approved because he was too busy then (it was right before x-mas). But its worth the wait. If you build anything offroad then you know that its almost impossible to find good aftermarket parts for our particular brand of modeling and this site is like a yellowbook for Fabrication, links, inspiration, and just SICK offroad builds. Just check it out.

Awesome Thanks
Just me speed too.
That guy IS Great. Love his work..
I need to check into those Heim joints from RB Motion
Need about, Uhmmmm
50 (to start with) ;) (current and future builds)
Got a project that needs a few and the paper clip ones I made just won't cut it these days.
Setting up an account.
Boy, are they pickie on names.

#12 abedooley

abedooley

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:42 AM

Heres the address for RB Motion. Its a fotki account and I also have his e-mail addy.
http://public.fotki....motion_catalog/
rbmotion@yahoo.com

#13 S10XtremeSR

S10XtremeSR

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:03 PM

wow. I am speechless.

#14 Glen G.

Glen G.

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:21 PM

awesome....just awesome. makes me want to break out the truggy i was building.

#15 RodneyBad

RodneyBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,501 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:06 PM

Heres the address for RB Motion. Its a fotki account and I also have his e-mail addy.
http://public.fotki....motion_catalog/
rbmotion@yahoo.com

Way Cool.
Thanks alot.
again :lol:

#16 James W

James W

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Full Name:James

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:40 PM

That is some flat out nice scratch building!

:lol:

#17 abedooley

abedooley

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:18 AM

awesome....just awesome. makes me want to break out the truggy i was building.

Thank ya. I was hopin to inspire some more offroad builds here. Theres more muscle than lift here.

#18 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,029 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 25 July 2009 - 07:58 AM

So far so good. I love seeing this kit built up RIGHT!!!!
Pleeeze tell me you're keeping the 345, or at least not replacing it with a yawner "383 Stroker" SBC!

#19 abedooley

abedooley

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 10:15 AM

So far so good. I love seeing this kit built up RIGHT!!!!
Pleeeze tell me you're keeping the 345, or at least not replacing it with a yawner "383 Stroker" SBC!

It has a 440 MAGNUM in it now! MOPAR POWER! I'll be running open headers that will dump right past the firewall. I'm a MOPAR fanatic. Friends don't let friends drive chevys, or ford. Even though my next build is a 32 Ford and this is an International.. :rolleyes: But the 32 might wind up with the forever powerful elephant motor!!!

If there was anything I could do differant I would have remade the interior tub because the walls are angled in towards the interior which makes it smaller than it should be. The tailgate was gonna work until I noticed it was wider that the interior wall.

#20 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,029 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:10 PM

It has a 440 MAGNUM in it now! MOPAR POWER!

Funny- I built this kit with a 440 as well (From the AMT '71 Charger kit). Didn't seem like much of a stretch, as the 1:1 Scouts ran Mopar 727s. (Related note: If you want to jazz up the featureless Scout's transmission, the tranny pan from the Charger kit is a pretty good stand-in.)

I usually just leave the IH 345 in 'em, though. It's not a very powerful or economical engine- but they run forever. Think of them as a Slant six, only with twice the slant and two extra cylinders!