Model Cars Magazine Forum

ABE'S MILITARY THEMED SCOUT

abedooley

Hey guys...... Its been awhile since I've posted anything in this area. I think I may have had a very small post on this build almost a year ago. I have quite a bit done now. Not as much as I should though. Okay, on with the pics.

IMG_0571.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

Rear guard with the hand made diamond plate tail light box. I also filled in the tail gate and original tail light recesses for a smoother look.

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0492.jpg

Hand made tube bumper with diamond plate cover. The cover shown is not the one being used. Changed it to a smaller scale.

IMG_0497.jpg

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

Edited by abedooley

Seats from the Aoshima 4Runner. Blue is just tape and that part will be carbon fiber. The seat frame allows the seats to slide back and forth. The center console is hand made, opens, and has cup holders.

IMG_0511.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

440 MOPAR from the new Charger Special Edition with hand made intake that will be remade because the tubes are not straight. Also some pics of the heavily modified radiator with hand made fill neck and cap.

IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

Guest Gassersgarage

I really like everything you've got going there... except the hood scoop :lol: . What are you doing for the suspension? Your post has got me wanting to dig out an old build I had started nearly ten years ago, it has those big Swamper tires, but lost steam when it came to the suspension..

Robert

I totally forgot to add what is making this a Military "THEME" scout. Heres the paint scheme as of now.

Decals: Military stars either in front or behind the doors, Military ID numbers, and maybe a pinup.

Olive Drab: Body and Beadlocks.

Flat Black: Under body/frame, roll cage (still debating on a metalizer paint for the tube work), and grille.

Fabric Gray or Fabric Tan: Interior tub.

Seats will be either black or a dark gray with carbon fiber decal in the center.

The 440 MAGNUM will be Chrysler Engine Red. I know, I know. It might look odd to have everything a flat camo color with a BRIGHT RED motor, but I have the idea to make it all dirtied up except the motor. I want to make it look like it was taken out and romped then blew the old motor and this is the new upgrade.

As far as the suspension goes: 4-Link front and rear, coil overs, and I still need to order some Heim joints from RB Motion. I also still need to find the proper military decals. I have some saved in the PC, but I'm not good at the printing process. Always looks blurry. The hood is a Challenger T/A scoop. I like it. You're the only person whose said that so far.

Edited by abedooley

What can I say with out getting Bleeped out? ;)

Frinkin Jaw Droppin Awesome

First thing, I think the seat mounts might be a Lil High but I haven't seen a 1:1 scout in a while.

But judging by the way you build,

You KNOW what your doing.

Besides, I like set up tall and you'll need to to see over the front.

So don't mind me.

It looks Awesome, I love the front Bumper, cage, Wheels.

The Hubs.

THE HUBS! look Dead on Perfect.

I Need a BIGGER pic to see those.(so I can Copy how you did'em ;) )

Great Beadlocks and taillights

Great back bumper and Jerry can holder.

Body looks great with out the doors.

Well, Actually, Everything is Looking dead On.

Great looking Engine and the Mopar scoop.

Nice intake.

Frame and body mounts look great.

Darn! I can't wait to see how the suspension Goes..

Yup, I'm a 4X4 type of guy too. :D

Thanks for the extremely nice words. As for the hubs........ I can't take credit for that. Here is the tutorial on the hubs and ALOT more..... The guy's name is Larry and his screen name is Big Ed. He takes something that we can't wrap our mind around and he'll simplify it down to a 2nd grade level. Check out all of his builds and tutorials. He has got some serious talent, especially when it comes to TRUCKS. We hang out on a forum dedicated to dirt racing, rock crawling, general offroad trucks, and lots more.

Hub tutorial: http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f135/Big...%20Trail%20Rig/

Larry's Photobucket: http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f135/BigEd0601/

Desert Racing Modelers: http://doghaus.proboards.com/index.cgi

The only problem with this forum is that once you register, you have to wait for the moderator to approve the "account". It took me like 2 weeks to finally get approved because he was too busy then (it was right before x-mas). But its worth the wait. If you build anything offroad then you know that its almost impossible to find good aftermarket parts for our particular brand of modeling and this site is like a yellowbook for Fabrication, links, inspiration, and just SICK offroad builds. Just check it out.

Thanks for the extremely nice words. As for the hubs........ I can't take credit for that. Here is the tutorial on the hubs and ALOT more..... The guy's name is Larry and his screen name is Big Ed. He takes something that we can't wrap our mind around and he'll simplify it down to a 2nd grade level. Check out all of his builds and tutorials. He has got some serious talent, especially when it comes to TRUCKS. We hang out on a forum dedicated to dirt racing, rock crawling, general offroad trucks, and lots more.

Hub tutorial: http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f135/Big...%20Trail%20Rig/

Larry's Photobucket: http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f135/BigEd0601/

Desert Racing Modelers: http://doghaus.proboards.com/index.cgi

The only problem with this forum is that once you register, you have to wait for the moderator to approve the "account". It took me like 2 weeks to finally get approved because he was too busy then (it was right before x-mas). But its worth the wait. If you build anything offroad then you know that its almost impossible to find good aftermarket parts for our particular brand of modeling and this site is like a yellowbook for Fabrication, links, inspiration, and just SICK offroad builds. Just check it out.

Awesome Thanks

Just me speed too.

That guy IS Great. Love his work..

I need to check into those Heim joints from RB Motion

Need about, Uhmmmm

50 (to start with) ;) (current and future builds)

Got a project that needs a few and the paper clip ones I made just won't cut it these days.

Setting up an account.

Boy, are they pickie on names.

So far so good. I love seeing this kit built up RIGHT!!!!

Pleeeze tell me you're keeping the 345, or at least not replacing it with a yawner "383 Stroker" SBC!

It has a 440 MAGNUM in it now! MOPAR POWER! I'll be running open headers that will dump right past the firewall. I'm a MOPAR fanatic. Friends don't let friends drive chevys, or ford. Even though my next build is a 32 Ford and this is an International.. :rolleyes: But the 32 might wind up with the forever powerful elephant motor!!!

If there was anything I could do differant I would have remade the interior tub because the walls are angled in towards the interior which makes it smaller than it should be. The tailgate was gonna work until I noticed it was wider that the interior wall.

• 4 weeks later...
It has a 440 MAGNUM in it now! MOPAR POWER!

Funny- I built this kit with a 440 as well (From the AMT '71 Charger kit). Didn't seem like much of a stretch, as the 1:1 Scouts ran Mopar 727s. (Related note: If you want to jazz up the featureless Scout's transmission, the tranny pan from the Charger kit is a pretty good stand-in.)

I usually just leave the IH 345 in 'em, though. It's not a very powerful or economical engine- but they run forever. Think of them as a Slant six, only with twice the slant and two extra cylinders!

Funny- I built this kit with a 440 as well (From the AMT '71 Charger kit). Didn't seem like much of a stretch, as the 1:1 Scouts ran Mopar 727s. (Related note: If you want to jazz up the featureless Scout's transmission, the tranny pan from the Charger kit is a pretty good stand-in.)

I usually just leave the IH 345 in 'em, though. It's not a very powerful or economical engine- but they run forever. Think of them as a Slant six, only with twice the slant and two extra cylinders!

;):lol::lol: 727?!?!?!?!?!?!? They DO have an awful lot of room in that engine compartment!! I'll have to dig through my parts compartment to see if I have an extra tranny pan from my charger kit. This 440 came from my Special Edition 68 Charger kit. It has the 440 or the HEMI option and I'm gonna run the HEMI in the Charger when I get to it.

I had a good friend in high school that had a Scout and this is the way I would want mine if I ever get one. Don't see too many of them around here anymore. This is kind of a pre-replica from the design in my head. I have always liked the look of military pick-ups and always loved it when guys made their rigs look like its military. It has something to do with function over design. Then the design of funtion over design is a design all its own. Does anyone get what I mean?? I have always been more inspired with the mechanical side of things than the design side. :blink::huh::blink::PB)

Anyways, Thanks for all the nice comments guys.

Oh! I almost forgot. The seat height is actually measured from the original seat from the kit. They have to run that high because of the tunnel. Plus, they came with bench seats, so they had to run high. I asked some guys from an International Scout forum in Australia. My first seat frame was a little lower than this one and it looked goofy because of all the head room above the seat plus it would have set so low you wouldn't be able to see over the dash.

:lol::lol::lol: 727?!?!?!?!?!?!? They DO have an awful lot of room in that engine compartment!!

Yes- the 727 Torqueflite automatic tranny!

Don't see why you'd need an awful lot of room in that engine compartment for this tranny, but okay... ;)

You're so silly, Abe :P !

And yes, I do get what you say about military 'style'. I think. Maybe.

Edited by Chuck Most

Yes- the 727 Torqueflite automatic tranny!

Don't see why you'd need an awful lot of room in that engine compartment for this tranny, but okay... ;)

You're so silly, Abe ;) !

And yes, I do get what you say about military 'style'. I think. Maybe.

:lol::lol::P I tried to find a 4Wheel Drive torqueflight before I got to cuttin on the original scout tranny, but I got impatient. I would have HAD to have a differant transfer case if I had gone that route.

Thanks for all the nice compliments guys. I really mean that too! Especially coming from masters as yourselves! Chuck and Marcos, I have many of your guys' builds saved to my PC for inspiration when I get discouraged, so compliments from you 2 gives me that warm fuzzy feeling inside....... :blink::D;):P:P:lol:

Edited by abedooley