4 replies to this topic

#1 jeffb

jeffb

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:12 AM

im in need of info on how to do plating. i know theres a few small scale platers out there, and im curious as to how its done. i do know the basics, but all the info i can find is how the big guys do it. if the cost isnt extreme, theres a chance i might be able to get the backing to do it.

#2 Biscuitbuilder

Biscuitbuilder

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:05 PM

im in need of info on how to do plating. i know theres a few small scale platers out there, and im curious as to how its done. i do know the basics, but all the info i can find is how the big guys do it. if the cost isnt extreme, theres a chance i might be able to get the backing to do it.

Jeff,

There is some "black art" involved, even with the proper equipment, so a learning curve is to be expected.

However, it's the cost of the equipment, and the electricity usage that can be prohibitive. Having talked at length with a vacuum plater who has a small unit in his basement, he tells me that it sucks up kilowatts like a vacuum cleaner.

Biscuitbuilder

#3 jeffb

jeffb

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 10:05 AM

im sure its not a cheap venture. however, if its doable there may be a new plater to service the hobby.

#4 JAFFA

JAFFA

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Full Name:Magnus Arpi

Posted 23 November 2006 - 04:30 AM

whats wrong with bare metal foil?

#5 Biscuitbuilder

Biscuitbuilder

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 09:28 AM

whats wrong with bare metal foil?

Nothing at all wrong with BMF. However, Jeffb is a resin caster, and is looking to upgrade his kits with chrome bumpers, grilles and the like perhaps--and those parts are beyond most peoples' foiling skills. Not to mention, restoration of old styrene kit parts--so there is nothing wrong with either BMF or vacuum-plating--seems to me they both have a big place at the table in our hobby!

Biscuitbuilder