TKM Resins

• You cannot reply to this topic
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Mustang3.8_*

Guest_Mustang3.8_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:29 PM

Hey, y'all.

I recently bought a 1972 Cadillac Fleetwood from TKM Resins, and it is a piece of junk! It is the worst quility casting I have ever seen. It looks like it was carved outta something I can't say on here. I would not recommend TKM Resins. :lol:

#2 Fuel Coupe

Fuel Coupe

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • Full Name:Shane Gans

Posted 01 August 2009 - 07:07 PM

http://www.modelcars...?showtopic=8074

#3 BigPoppa

BigPoppa

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 01:47 PM

Should asked around first! TKM has been the joke of resin casting for many many many years

#4 RodBurNeR

RodBurNeR

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts
  • Full Name:Bob

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:16 PM

umm yeah....never bought any because I could tell in the worst photos they are horrible. I have heard some guys praise them up and down.....but those people must be new to resin. It's unfortunate that people who are "new to resin" buy that junk and if they realize how bad it is.....they refuse to buy resin from ANYone again because they are scared to waste money. (have friends that way)

#5 hippie6

hippie6

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Full Name:Brad White

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:36 PM

I wish I could say something nice but.... a while back I purchased one off ebay. The difference between his stuff and holthaus or flintstone is like trying to compare picaso with a 5 year olds finger painting.

#6 Modelsbyroni

Modelsbyroni

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Full Name:jeromeandrews

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:44 PM

YEAH MAN, HIS STUFF IS STRAIGHT UP GARBAGE LOOKS LIKE A BLOCK OF GOV'MENT.CHEESE. ;) HAVE SEEN THIS JUNK IN PERSON AND NOT WORTH 42 BUCKS, WHEN THERES GOOD LOOKIN RESIN BODIES THAT CAN BE HAD FOR 10.

#7 Eshaver

Eshaver

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,870 posts
  • Full Name:Ed Shaver

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:19 AM

You know , Dennis Doty formerly of Model Car Journal often used to mention T K M in the Collectable Automobilia of Collectable but I have never heard how well the models went together till now . Mebbie if someone in Irving Texas sees ole Dennis , they might want owarn him too................ Ed Shaver

#8 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:23 AM

Hey, y'all.

I recently bought a 1972 Cadillac Fleetwood from TKM Resins, and it is a piece of junk! It is the worst quility casting I have ever seen. It looks like it was carved outta something I can't say on here. I would not recommend TKM Resins. ;)

That's unfortunate....a '72 Fleetwood is such a cool subject, would love to see one done by a competent caster...I'd love to see something like that from The Modelhaus.

#9 roadhawg

roadhawg

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts
  • Full Name:Tommy Logan

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:16 AM

I wish I could say something nice but.... a while back I purchased one off ebay. The difference between his stuff and holthaus or flintstone is like trying to compare picaso with a 5 year olds finger painting.

I totally understand your point, and you are correct, BUT.............to be quite honest, there isn't much difference between a Picasso and a 5 year olds finger painting. :huh:

#10 dimaxion

dimaxion

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • Full Name:John JR. Landgraver

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:19 AM

I totally understand your point, and you are correct, BUT.............to be quite honest, there isn't much difference between a Picasso and a 5 year olds finger painting. :blink:

The next thought is , what did early resins look like ? TKM is still casting the way it was done in the early Years . Make a negative mold and pour in Resin . This is called "Slush Casting" . Banthrico did this with Metal in the Early Days of Promos .

You younguns are spoiled by far superior products . The current products are a result of progress . I for one are glad to have a couple of TKM's on my shelves . He does subject matter rairley copied . Are you planning to build the Caddy ? I only have one more almost complete Picasso to finish . Contact me if you want to unload this please . Thanx Thomas K. Mills ... John JR :lol:

Edited by dimaxion, 07 August 2009 - 07:29 AM.

#11 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:27 AM

You younguns are spoiled by far superior products . The current products are a result of progress . I for one are glad to have a couple of TKMs on my shelves . He does subject matter rairley copied . Thanx Tom ... John JR :blink:

Ya, I didn't get into resin until the mid '90s with Modelhaus resto parts. I've looked at TKM lists a few times, he does have some great subject matter, but the horrific execution I've seen in pics and heard about scares me off..

#12 Zoom Zoom

Zoom Zoom

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:46 AM

I bought a TKM Lincoln Mk. VII in the early 80's. I was warned that they were "different". I wasn't quite expecting the mess that arrived...at least old slush cast metal promos have a level of "finish". TKM models are poorly molded copies of masters that must be made from amateur clay models...wheels that are awfully rough, raw metal chassis that will cut you if you look at them wrong...everything cast in open 1 piece molds. Sloppy doesn't begin to describe the reality.

I was so put off from it that it eventually went in the garbage. Had I not met Don Holthaus in Toledo around 1986, I may have never trusted any resin kit, because up until he started casting, nobody was doing the kind of quality that most modelers would really want. TKM and Sam Miller make/made some interesting stuff, but they're really not "models"...they're more "folk art". Sam's models were also odd, but they weren't nearly the disasters that TKM models are. Sam's compare well w/the slush cast promos, and I have a couple of his models built that are more than acceptable. TKM's compare with...nothing that we've ever seen before, or will ever see again. I hope. :blink:

#13 jeffb

jeffb

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:03 PM

I totally understand your point, and you are correct, BUT.............to be quite honest, there isn't much difference between a Picasso and a 5 year olds finger painting. ;)

the difference is about 5 million dollars, give or take....

#14 dimaxion

dimaxion

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts
  • Full Name:John JR. Landgraver

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:18 AM

the difference is about 5 million dollars, give or take....

Ouch , I would like to have traded for the Mark VIII . I am finishing up a 1994 version of this same model . I had owned one , 1:1 , (yes past tense , I had to quit driving) for reference . I took allot of "silly putty" for it's lacking . Thanx..

#15 goldfinger

goldfinger

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:10 PM

This subject came up elswhere. The solution, Throw a tarp over the miserable blob and use it in a diorama!