4 replies to this topic

#1 Steve D.

Steve D.

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:20 PM

I was under the impression that the Javelin was a two plus two four seater and the AMX was a two seater. Am I right or are they different versions of the same car?
Thanks in advance,
Steve D.

#2 James W

James W

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Full Name:James

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:31 PM

In 69 or 68 the AMX was shorter .

They both shared the same structure, but the AMX was a shortened floorpan and had no back seats. Javelins had back seats.

Later, the AMX was a version of the Javelin, but they had identical bodys/floorpans.

I'm not sure of the years the change was made.

#3 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:57 AM

Having once owned a 1:1 1969 AMX, they are the same from the doors forward. From the doors rearward they are two different cars as the AMX is a foot shorter (97" wheelbase) and the body work is totally different.

Other things the 1968-70 AMX didn't share with the Javelin..........

Side glass
Hoods
Grilles
Driveshafts
Rear interior fittings
Rear axle traction bars (although one could order 'em special on the Javelin)

What they did share...............

Running gear (engines, trans, etc......)
Trunks
Taillights
Front fenders
Bumpers
Windshields
Rear Windows
Doors
Interior door panels, seats and dashes.

1971 was the year the AMX became more "mainstream" sharing just about everything with the Javelin.

One thing I loved about the AMX was you couldn't fake one------one can take a small block Corvette and turn into a big block. Yet another can take a '67 Mustang and turn it into a "Shelby".

But you can't take a '68-'70 Javelin and turn it into an AMX! :(

Sure wish I had kept mine.........it sure was a BLAST to drive with the 390/4spd combo and a 3:54 rear end! :blink:

#4 fury3

fury3

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Full Name:David Louis

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:59 AM

For the 1971 model year, the Javelin was redesigned and it was this year that the AMX no longer carried it's exclusive shorted wheelbase and lack of a rear seat. It simply became a performance/trim model within the Javelin series, sharing it's wheelbase and rear seat. To me, I appreciate ALL Javelin's and AMX's from 1968-1974.....unfortuneatly, it's still a very under appreciated vehicle and deserves better, although it does have it's very loyal (if a bit small in numbers) following. Fury3 Administration, Please delete this reply. It was unknowingly written at exactly the same time that the above reply was written by "Mr Obsessive". Therfore, my reply is not needed and is simply taking up valueable space. Fury3

Edited by fury3, 12 August 2009 - 04:06 AM.

#5 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 04:18 AM

NO! Leave Dave's post up!!

The more upbeat talk about the AMX the better!

YES! They were/are still under appreciated as collector cars as you can find an nice driver 1968-70 AMX for less than $10,000. ;)

...............And yes, there is a VERY loyal AMC club out there that LOVES the AMX/Javelin's to death! I belonged to our local chapter here when I owned mine. The only reason I sold the car-----I was leaving PA to be stationed down in Fort Jackson, SC and couldn't take the car with me.

I HATED to get rid of it, but it had to go. :D Life's a little more quieter now, if a bit less exciting.

It still comes back to me in dreams from time to time...............