#1 oldman23

oldman23

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:03 AM

Hi Everybody ;)

I just received a Nesco Dehydrator from a friend and it has temperature settings from 95 degrees to 155 degrees and it also has a Fan the blows from top to bottom.

How long should it take to dry small parts such as intake manifolds and motors, seats and dash? What temperature is best? :rolleyes:

These items have been sprayed with 1 light coat and 1 medium coat of Floquil Enamel paint and they are all 1/25th scale. :lol:

Also how long and at what temperature would I use to dry a body painted with Automotive Lacquer? <_<

Same question but for Automotive Enamel? :blink:

I don't want to ruin the bodies, I already trashed one real nice painted body that I worked on for what seamed like months. ;)

I painted it and set the car outside under a cardboard shoe box that has several 3/8" holes on each side of the box. I forgot how hot it can get inside an enclosed area. After 2 hours I ended up with painted mush and it was only 118 degrees outside. :blink:

Thank you
Ernie P

#2 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,861 posts
  • Full Name:George53

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:26 AM

Ern, set it to about 102 degrees. Mine has no temp setting, but I got an oven thermometer in it that reads about 107 when I put my parts in it. I never used a laquer paint, only enamels an I've left mine in there for up to 2 days with no problem. Just make sure it's NOT near the bottom, where the heating elements are. I actually got 2 dehydrators, just to get the extra "Decks" to raise it up higher away from the bottom. They DO work GREAT!!!! :lol: :lol:

#3 roadhawg

roadhawg

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts
  • Full Name:Tommy Logan

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:50 AM

I forgot how hot it can get inside an enclosed area. After 2 hours I ended up with painted mush and it was only 118 degrees outside. :lol:

Thank you
Ernie P

ONLY??????? holy moly! :lol:

Edited by roadhawg, 22 September 2009 - 11:51 AM.

#4 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,142 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:24 AM

ONLY??????? holy moly! :lol:

No kidding! How flipping hot DOES it get there???

#5 crispy

crispy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 02:56 AM

Ernie, I have the Nesco as well. I keep mine at 105. I've never had a problem with resin or any plastic.
Tamiya paints are pretty much ready to go after 4-6 hours. Testors is more like 8-12.
Of course airbrushed stuff is much faster. You'll see quite a jump in speed on your building with the use of the dehydrator.
I find it to be an essential tool of modeling.
Chris

#6 cruz

cruz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts
  • Full Name:Marcos Cruz

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:00 PM

I have had my Nesco for over 5 years now and it doesn't have the element on the bottom, it's at the top, at least on mine :D I set mine at 105 and leave my painted bodies in there for 24 hours, never had any problems. Just make sure not to put a painted body soon after you paint it, give it at least a few hours before putting it in the dehydrator. Personally, I wait one day. I use lacquers but if I was to use enamels to paint a body I would leave it an additional 12 hours, enamels take a long time to dry and if you want to wetsand them and rub them out to polish you better make sure that they are completely dry!!! B)

#7 crispy

crispy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:22 PM

Just make sure not to put a painted body soon after you paint it, give it at least a few hours before putting it in the dehydrator.

Marcos, May I ask why you wait that little bit of time before putting the painted body in the dehydrator? I go from the booth within about 5 minutes of spraying to the dehydrator and haven't had a problem. So I'm just curious whether I've been lucky or if I need to look out for something. Thanks!!
Chris

#8 envious8420

envious8420

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Full Name:me

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:31 PM

it shouldn't be an issue, as quick as i can disconnect my gun and walk out of the booth, i turn the oven on at work.
in my experience lacquer bases are fully dry in 30 min. and depending on the clear, anywhere from 1-5 hours to be sandable for polish. i like to wet sand with 1200-2000 grit then give it another hour or so to completely gas out before polishing