Model Cars Magazine Forum

Movie and TV vehicle community build

Nick Winter

I've been working on the Bronco from "240-Robert" for quite some time. Might be just the venue to show it off when it's done!

240cast16.jpg

From Wikipedia:

The series chronicled the missions of "240-Robert," a specialized unit (three young deputies utilizing a four-wheel drive SUV and a helicopter) of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department Emergency Services Detail. Most of the assignments were sea/air/land search and rescue operations in their extensive (over 4,000 square miles) jurisdiction. The show's creator was Rick Rosner (himself an LASD reserve deputy), who created the hit CHiPs two years earlier for NBC.

The vehicle used at that time was a 1979 Ford Bronco, while the helicopter was a Hughes (later McDonnell-Douglas, now Boeing) Model HA-500C (similar in design to the current MD 500).

The series was based on real life cases encountered by the LASD's Emergency Services Detail. The real life ESD is actually headquartered in East Los Angeles. Rick Rosner took artistic liberty and portrayed the headquarters as a "beach-side" station. The actual filming location was at a State of California ranger station located at Sycamore Cove in Ventura County, CA.

Cast

* Deputy Theodore Roosevelt "Trap" Applegate III (John Bennett Perry).

* Deputy Dwayne "Thib" Thibideaux (Mark Harmon, episodes 1-13).

* Deputy Morgan Wainwright (Joanna Cassidy, episodes 1-13), the unit's helicopter pilot.

Edited by Murphy's Law

voljeepx- Sounds Good. :lol:

Mustang3.8- Why not build both? :lol:

Murphy's Law- sounds good, I'd love to have a bronco in this build, there one of the few Ford's I like.

ol55- good to hear, could you please try to post your pictures directly like this please.

P1050036.jpg

and I will PM you

voljeepx- Sounds Good. :)

Mustang3.8- Why not build both? :P

Murphy's Law- sounds good, I'd love to have a bronco in this build, there one of the few Ford's I like.

ol55- good to hear, could you please try to post your pictures directly like this please.

P1050036.jpg

and I will PM you

if i could i would havent figured it out yet so thanks

Cause I've only got one '75 Impala 4 door. :P

Lol Ok. :)

All you do is take the code that you posted, and put it into the image tags. (in the reply screen, it's the picture below "fonts" with the sunset).

Yep and there's a great tutorial in the Tips, Tricks, and Idea's section too.

What I'm building and where I'm at...

93456ff8.jpg

The body:

d3aac375.jpg

The interior with scratched equipment (the scuba tanks are aluminum tube with Model T headlight buckets):

fd9431b4.jpg

The AeroDynic lightbar swiped from another kit with alley lights added on:

3d1236fd.jpg

Basic chassis with white rims instead of chrome (matches TV truck):

0fa13987.jpg

Quick video from the show:

<a href="

target="_blank">240-Robert opening</a> Edited by Murphy's Law

What I'm building and where I'm at...

The body:

The interior with scratched equipment (the scuba tanks are aluminum tube with Model T headlight buckets):

The AeroDynic lightbar swiped from another kit with alley lights added on:

Basic chassis with white rims instead of chrome (matches TV truck):

Quick video from the show:

Looks awesome and the video was quite interesting, hope you don't mind but I'm gonna ask you two questions, were's the light bar from and I thought there Bronco was a '78-'79?

The lightbar came from the Testor's metal bodied Crown Vic (NYPD, Chicago, or Denver versions).

The kit was issued in 1980. I guess that they had that year tooled and used it. The body isn't really right for a '79 or '80. I've looked at several pics of both and there are variances in the grill and taillights. Pretty much just building it boxstock other than the lights and equipment.

The unit number on the roof was transposed to read 420-R-2 Instead of 240-R-2. As much as I would love to believe this kit was a direct tie in to the show, it was never labeled or promoted as such. I suppose this was to keep from paying royalties.

Edited by Murphy's Law

The lightbar came from the Testor's metal bodied Crown Vic (NYPD, Chicago, or Denver versions).

The kit was issued in 1980. I guess that they had that year tooled and used it. The body isn't really right for a '79 or '80. I've looked at several pics of both and there are variances in the grill and taillights. Pretty much just building it boxstock other than the lights and equipment.

The unit number on the roof was transposed to read 420-R-2 Instead of 240-R-2. As much as I would love to believe this kit was a direct tie in to the show, it was never labeled or promoted as such. I suppose this was to keep from paying royalties.

Ok Just curious.

Well heres my deathproof nova, lots of scrachtbuild, earn me a 1st place on the CSAE in november on PR:

looks good.

Hey guys, can I get in with an already built? I did this on in the 80's, Then last year I popped it all apart and redid it. Step into the way back machine and recall "Hardcastle and McCormack" and their Coyote. Mine is without the yellow pinstripe.

Looks cool, I may be young but I remember Hardcastle and McCormack. B)

Edited by Dukefan69'

i am a big duke fan, i'm not realy a fan of the movie, i like the show better, but i had this body laying around and had to build the precooter general lee.

pcgl.jpg

but i am a big fan of the general lee, i bought a 69 dodge charger model for this one, i wanted the best looking charger model i could find for this build.

gnlee.jpg

had to put this on this fourm, yeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaa

i am a big duke fan, i'm not realy a fan of the movie, i like the show better, but i had this body laying around and had to build the precooter general lee.

but i am a big fan of the general lee, i bought a 69 dodge charger model for this one, i wanted the best looking charger model i could find for this build.

had to put this on this fourm, yeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaa

That reminds me still gotta build those 27 Chargers I bought.