Model Cars Magazine Forum

New AMT White Freightliner release

I picked up a couple of these new release Freightliners, and while the first is still a work in progress, I thought I'd share my opinions on the kit.

Overall, not a bad kit, and I think these could really look nice done by some of you tallented modelers.

Really not an over abundance of detail to the kit, but not a snap together either.

I like that the instructions tell you what the part is, as not all of us were in the trucking industry, it helps me imagine what color I'd like to paint things.

There are a couple of parts left over, they are not in the instructions, so they must not go on this truck ;)

The pictures in the instructions are a little vague, they even left out the bar that goes between the radius rods, at least thats where it goes on my model.

Some items do not have holes to put them in, such as the radiator, they just basically show that it goes in front of the engine, but there is no designation as to the actual spot on the frame where it sits, hope you get it right, because there are hoses and things hooked up to one of those. Same with the marker lights and horns, but I suppose this is good, because it leaves you with some room for your own artistic expressions.

I went to dry fit the interior into the cab, and found that it is too wide, and too deep, and it busted out my rear cab piece. I will fix this with my belt sander.

My biggest dislike for this kit is the three piece cab, Why? Is there really a reason to ask me to piece these together, only to screw it up with my incompetent bondo abillities? :rolleyes:

All in all I am happy with it and am sure they will look nice pullin a covered wagon B)

Here are a few shots of the WIP

Hope you like it

Tim

Tim

You are not alone in your dislike of the 3 piece cab. AMT did that so they could offer the non sleeper and the sleeper versions without having to make entire cab toolings.

I discovered on my recent W-Freightliner the same thing that you did, the sleeper section of the interior tub is too wide.

I ended up carving off the sides and inserting the sleeper tub after the rest of the interior was in place.

AMT's instructions back then were vary vague - which left a lot of installations up to how the builder interprets the instructions.

I remember on my first AMT Peterbilt 359 I somehow installed the headlamps upside down. (it must have been the glue fumes).

Tim

Tim

You are not alone in your dislike of the 3 piece cab. AMT did that so they could offer the non sleeper and the sleeper versions without having to make entire cab toolings.

I discovered on my recent W-Freightliner the same thing that you did, the sleeper section of the interior tub is too wide.

I ended up carving off the sides and inserting the sleeper tub after the rest of the interior was in place.

AMT's instructions back then were vary vague - which left a lot of installations up to how the builder interprets the instructions.

I remember on my first AMT Peterbilt 359 I somehow installed the headlamps upside down. (it must have been the glue fumes).

Tim

Tim- I was going to point out those hiccups- but you beat me to 'em! My other two gripes are the molded in wipers (why- everything else is molded separately), and the missing grab handles just beneath the wipers, which are so promenent on the box art but nowhere to be found in the box!

I'm in the middle of my own White-Freightliner buildup from this reissue. This is my first big-rig model, and so far so good! (Okay- I've built a couple of Ford C-cabs, and a couple of Dodge L-700s, but they're more medium duty rigs than big rigs. Still, they helped on this one!)

I've long wanted to build a big rig, my LHS had this one, and the price was right! I'm basically just building it to get my chops honed, since I will definitely be getting the International Transtar Conventional kit when it's back on the shelves, and maybe, just maybe, that Moebius Lonestar we've all heard so much about...

Here's how she looks so far:

026_26-vi.jpg

I've added diamond plate over the rear of the frame. I still haven't decided if I'll use the kit fuel tanks and smokestacks, or if I'll run big, polished tanks and straight pipes. Those are pretty much the only reasons I haven't completed it yet!

Tim (Studioman)- I trust you'll keep us posted?

Edited by Chuck Most

Thanks for the info. I just bought one of these kits myself, as I liked the looks of them. I don't think it will be too big of a challenge to get it together, and I'm still trying to decide what color(s) to paint it, not sure right now. I'm thinking it will have the Freuhauf Texaco tanker trailer attached to it.

As far as the cab and interior tub go, and I'm sure I'd have to look at the kit itself to fully understand (but g/f won't let me until I open them at Christmas!!!!), where and how much do you have to sand the interior tub? 1/16", 1/8", 1/4", more? Just wondering so I'm prepared when I get to it!

The pictures I see here look great though! Hope I'm able to do this well with it!

[mackinac359 Posted Yesterday, 08:15 PM

Tim

You are not alone in your dislike of the 3 piece cab. AMT did that so they could offer the non sleeper and the sleeper versions without having to make entire cab toolings. }

Tim, It would have been nice if they offered the option of making it either way in this kit, I am not skilled enough to scratch build a rear piece to make it a craker box. :huh:

Brizio Posted Today, 11:18 AM

For what I can understand, looks nice!

Thanks Brizio

Chuck,

I hadn't gotton to the grab handles yet B) , I carved the wipers off, and plan to use some photo-etched ones I got from Sourkrauts. I am still waiting for the white to cure on the cab so I can add the red, I plan on making mine the box art scheme on the side of the box, (red, white, and black). Your kit looks nice, lets us know how you finish her up.

Steelgears,

It would look good pulling my Texaco tanker, (since I painted mine white :o ), but I also bought two of the new release flatbeds, and want to make them into alluminum covered wagons. Don't fret too much over the glitches, they are pretty easy to fix, the sleaper tub is about 1/8" maybe too wide, but then again, maybe I didn't piece it together perfectly B) , but a couple minutes on the belt sander, and she'll fit in there real nice like.

ultraliner13 Posted Today, 01:16 PM

Well I think you have done very well.

Thanks John

Tim

Tim and Chuck,

I really like the look of both the old Freightshakers.

Its great to see modellers having a go at the new release kits. I remember building the Pabst version in the late 70s. That 3 piece cab, what a nightmare!! I hated it :angry:. Of course 30 years ago I did not have the abilities and patience that I have now. Also these days I tend to spend more time studying how I am going to do things and plan my way through a build. In my younger days I wanted to do everything and it had to happen now. Reminds me of the story about the Bull and the young Bullock walking down a lane. Up ahead there is a field full of cows. The young Bullock says to the bull. "Quick lets run to the field and have some fun with one of those cows". The bull says "No!" "Lets walk up to the field and have some fun with all of them".

I bought one of the green versions (AMT Matchbox???) from the 70s of Ebay about a year ago. Seeing these two great builds has given me some ideas. I just may bring the project forward. Thanks for posting and keep us updated with Progress.

Chuck,

You need to start your own thread on the Freightshaker. That is a really superb looking build.

Best Wishes

Dave

I'm not sure why AMT forgot the grab handles and molded on the wipers, yet molded a nice AM radio antenna on the chrome tree multi-piece mirrors. Decisions made 38 years ago that we'll never know the answers too.

Tim

And there's a separate tape deck for the interior, but no CB!? Come on!

The kit has it's hiccups, to be sure, but I will give it this bit of praise: As I said, I'm a total big-rig neophyte, and I've had no trouble whatsoever in assembling mine so far. Well- some trouble, but I promise you that was MY doing, and not any fault of the kits. I've even managed to work around the substandard instructions sheet!

I've heard these old AMT rigs are a real pain in the arse to put together, if this W-F kit is a decent representation of the other kits in the line, I don't really see why. I think it's a cakewalk, compared to, say the Lindberg l-700.

I've heard these old AMT rigs are a real pain in the arse to put together, if this W-F kit is a decent representation of the other kits in the line, I don't really see why. I think it's a cakewalk, compared to, say the Lindberg l-700.

Never had ant problems with the AMT kits even the originals but you are right about the Dodge. I built and still have the remnants of the original IMC Dodge L700 and it was a pain in the yazoo way back then! ;)

UPDATE!

Well here it is, I think I'm gonna call her finished (for now).

I used the photo-etched wipers and some staples for handles, but had a heck of a time putting the steps together, what a PITA! I shot the Red over the white, and let it setup a few days, then taped off for the black pinstripes, after a couple hours worth of taping I decided to just hand paint the stripes instead of spraying, when I pulled the tape off, 60% of the stripe came off with it :( . So I have alot to learn about painting, but I was able to remove most of the black and decided to leave her as is. I am pretty happy with the rest, including the 1/25 scale nodel box on the passenger seat.

Hope you like it.

Tim

Nice.

On the stripes, once you lay down the masking tape, spray or bush a light coat of the main color that is being masked (in your case red and white) along the edge of the masking tape. This will help prevent any bleed under by the stripe color.

As for the stripe peeling off, was there an extended period of time between painting and removing the masking?

The masking should be pulled off after the paint becomes tacky. If you let the paint cure before removing the masking, the paint will peel easier.

Tim

The truck looks nice, I like the color combo.

If you run an exacto blade lightly along the edge of the tape it will help reduce the chances of the paint peeling off with the tape.

Rronning, to make the PE parts, the metal is painted with a coating, then a negative of the parts is layed over the metal. This is then exposed to light curing the resist on the metal that will become your parts. When the metal is put into the acid, the resist that was not cured will disolve along with the metal and what is left is your metal photo etched parts.

You can make PE yourself but most people are not too quick to put an acid bath in the garage. :)

Chuck what is the yellow color you used on your truck? I like that, it has a very 70s look to it.

Edited by Aaronw

Thanks to all for the comments, as far as the pin stripes, I used tape I got from Napa autoparts, I should have etched the paint before applying the pin stripes, which, were applied with a jar of black modelers paint that was a little thick and cured before I could apply all of it. Applying a thin coat of the White first as Tim suggests would have helped with the bleeding, and I will use that method in the future, along with running a knife along the edge of the tape to seperate it from the stripe. All good ideas, thanks I will use them on my second WF and see if it works out better for me.

Tim

Nice build. I saw one of these in person at the LHS yesterday and it almost followed me home, but a Xmas present for the clone took precedence. Not a bad price and really liked the retro box art. Are the 352 and W900 ads on the side retro or are they really upcoming?

Edited by Murphy's Law

No, the box-art is just for retro-effect.

Tim

Nice build. I saw one of these in person at the LHS yesterday and it almost followed me home, but a Xmas present for the clone took precedence. Not a bad price and really liked the retro box art. Are the 352 and W900 ads on the side retro or are they really upcoming?

Nice work on the 'Liner Tim! Now I've got to get my stupid build finished! It's still in about the same shape as it was in the photo I posted earlier, except now the front bumper and Luberfiner are in place. And, even though the cab fit nice and square during all the test fits, it's now cocked a bit to the right, and doesn't shut straight! And I still haven't decided on kit mufflers or straight pipes. The plated fuel tanks from a Kenworth 600 didn't pan out, either, but the plated 5th wheel sure did!

If I ever finish it, I'll give it it's own post. And I've GOT to finish it now... I finally got my Transtar kit!