#22 Jim B

Jim B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts
  • Full Name:James Bongiovanni

Posted 20 December 2009 - 03:19 PM

I hope it was brand new. Someone on another board suggested that it might be an old Dakar Raley truck.

#23 studioman3

studioman3

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 06:52 PM

Wheres the pool? :lol:

I want this guy to design my next kitchen. They should hire him to do college dorm rooms!

#24 SpreadAxle

SpreadAxle

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • Full Name:Ray DeJesus

Posted 26 December 2009 - 10:20 PM

Click on the link, and you will see a B Model Mack garbage truck built by Frank Rich. He did a Paystar in the same colors as this truck.

http://www.basketsby...ly08gallery.htm

#25 SpreadAxle

SpreadAxle

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • Full Name:Ray DeJesus

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:31 AM

In the 1:1 reference section, I have a link to an album I made of the garbage truck I recently hauled. I hope it helps with some projects.

#26 chuckyr

chuckyr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • Full Name:C. Mitchell

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:45 AM

To show how far AMT was in to the Garwood project, check out the box.

Posted Image

Informatiomal update:

source: Classic Refuse Trucks

Posted Image

Some intriguing plastic model kits from the 1970s have recently come to my attention. Shown above is a 1/25 scale Ford C-series with a Gar Wood LP-725-9 packer body from AMT models. This kit is believed to have been in production, but nothing else is known about it at this time.

Posted Image
Next up is a 1/25 scale Ford with the Gar Wood Load-Packer 900 series body. Reportedly, the box was printed in anticipation of the models release, which never happened. This may have been commissioned by Sargent Industries (then owner of Gar Wood) in order to promote their high-compaction refuse body. Sargent divested itself of Gar Wood in 1979, and sold the design rights to the LP-900 to Heil, which may explain why this model kit was suddenly cancelled.

#27 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,892 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:29 AM

I think part of the mold's fate was hot temps. in the building where it was kept. During the strike, the clay model was left unattended and melted partially. At least, that's part of how I heard it. I had an article regarding this somewhere. I'll post when I find it.

http://www.bonedigge...zlo/wlazlo.html

#28 Nitro Neil

Nitro Neil

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Full Name:Neil Van Zile, Jr.

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

I'm not really a truck guy, but a garbage truck and a cement mixer have always been on my "want" list in kit form.

#29 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Manson

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

If I remember correctly (I think Tom Geiger can back me up on this, and may even have pictures) a guy named Joe Cavorley (no longer with us) built an old style NYC garbage truck about 20 or so years ago.  It was awesome.

#30 Mr mopar

Mr mopar

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Full Name:Doug Spencer

Posted 24 August 2013 - 02:52 AM

Here is one .

#31 lapazleo

lapazleo

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Full Name:Leo Bishop

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:14 AM

The kit never went to production the box art is all we got

#32 mackinac359

mackinac359

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,339 posts
  • Full Name:Tim Ahlborn

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:20 AM

AMT never produced the kit.  It was planned for a release with a Link-Belt crane/excavator.  The refuse truck body only made it to prototype stages and during a labor dispute when the offices were closed, the pieces were damaged due to moisture and the planned kits were scrapped.   Only the box art survived as well as the promotional announcement advertising sheets.   Had there not been a union strike, the kits may well have been produced.

The link that Casey posted has the story from a former AMT staffer.  http://www.bonedigge...zlo/wlazlo.html

Tim

#33 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew Brownlee, card carrying member of the Donnie Boger fan club

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:26 PM

Heading to NYC? I don't envy you, Ray. NYC is tough to drive in with a car let alone a tractor/trailer. Isn't the NYC Sanitation Department up in The Bronx?

Been there, done that and didn't even get a stinkin t shirt!

A little back on topic, I've been considering a rolloff build.

#34 chuckyr

chuckyr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • Full Name:C. Mitchell

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:16 AM

AMT never produced the kit.  It was planned for a release with a Link-Belt crane/excavator.  The refuse truck body only made it to prototype stages and during a labor dispute when the offices were closed, the pieces were damaged due to moisture and the planned kits were scrapped.   Only the box art survived as well as the promotional announcement advertising sheets.   Had there not been a union strike, the kits may well have been produced.

The link that Casey posted has the story from a former AMT staffer.  http://www.bonedigge...zlo/wlazlo.html

Tim

Very interesting information.  I wonder how long AMT would have lasted if the strike had been resolved amicable.  Would we have seen the newer trucks and longer trailers of that time as 1/25th scale kits?