You know it! B)

#122 vizio93

vizio93

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:31 PM

Its been a while since i've looked at this thread, and I gotta say, it looks awesome !!! B)

#123 Jim Gibbons

Jim Gibbons

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Gibbons

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:54 AM

You know it! B)

I just found and joined this forum, and enjoyed the progress and pictures of the 500K. I built one of these (and the Fiat) in the mid 80's. An incredible amount of work and a lot of adjustments were needed to make things work. I had to dismantle and rebuild the rear swing axle about 5 or 6 times till it was satisfactory. As with you, I spent more time bending and adjusting the spokes than building the wheels. I did use the kit seats and upholstery, but backed the "leather" and foam padding with pieces of cut up bed sheet material, then hand stitched the "tuck and roll" effect. I then glued thick tan carpet thread at the seams to simulate piping. It came out pretty well, but I do like your resin seats as they are more prototypical. I also hand stitched the top, but wasn't satisfied with the top up appearance, so left it down all the time.

A few years ago, a friend of mine started building the Pocher Porsche 993, and gave up. I'm going to finish it for him at some time, and paint the body Arena Red as with his own 1:1 car, plus cut out and simulate an open sunroof. The fit of that kit is appalling, and you could tell that Pocher had limited funds at the end; the head and taillight reflectors are self adhesive stickers and look terrible. I'm going to attempt to scratchbuild some decent ones. They also didn't flock the interior carpeting, but supplied diecut individual self adhesive sections that were applied to the surfaces. Ugh. Wish he hadn't put then on. The seats and dash are molded in an awful lipstick pinkish red. I'm going to do grey seats w/ black dash per his real car, and flock the chassis base in black. The supplied seat belts and hardware are also poorly done, so will figure that one out. The engine detail is very poor, and hope I can dress it up a bit using some added detail. Nuts, the more I think about the amount of work I have to do, the less I want to do it!

Again, you're doing a magnificent job on the 500K, and am looking forward to pics of the finished product!

Edited by Jim Gibbons, 31 March 2010 - 10:59 AM.

#124 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,427 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:22 AM

I just found and joined this forum, and enjoyed the progress and pictures of the 500K. I built one of these (and the Fiat) in the mid 80's. An incredible amount of work and a lot of adjustments were needed to make things work. I had to dismantle and rebuild the rear swing axle about 5 or 6 times till it was satisfactory. As with you, I spent more time bending and adjusting the spokes than building the wheels. I did use the kit seats and upholstery, but backed the "leather" and foam padding with pieces of cut up bed sheet material, then hand stitched the "tuck and roll" effect. I then glued thick tan carpet thread at the seams to simulate piping. It came out pretty well, but I do like your resin seats as they are more prototypical. I also hand stitched the top, but wasn't satisfied with the top up appearance, so left it down all the time.

A few years ago, a friend of mine started building the Pocher Porsche 993, and gave up. I'm going to finish it for him at some time, and paint the body Arena Red as with his own 1:1 car, plus cut out and simulate an open sunroof. The fit of that kit is appalling, and you could tell that Pocher had limited funds at the end; the head and taillight reflectors are self adhesive stickers and look terrible. I'm going to attempt to scratchbuild some decent ones. They also didn't flock the interior carpeting, but supplied diecut individual self adhesive sections that were applied to the surfaces. Ugh. Wish he hadn't put then on. The seats and dash are molded in an awful lipstick pinkish red. I'm going to do grey seats w/ black dash per his real car, and flock the chassis base in black. The supplied seat belts and hardware are also poorly done, so will figure that one out. The engine detail is very poor, and hope I can dress it up a bit using some added detail. Nuts, the more I think about the amount of work I have to do, the less I want to do it!

Again, you're doing a magnificent job on the 500K, and am looking forward to pics of the finished product!

Thanks, Jim! And welcome aboard.

I also built the Pocher Porsche. It's a "Pocher" in name only, the kit is nowhere near the caliber of the Pocher "classic" kits. The engine is just a vague blob of plastic with less detail than many 1/24 scale engines! I spent a lot of time reworking and detailing the engine, but the overall low quality of the kit kind of limited my enthusiasm. I did finish it, and it's on my shelf... looks ok, I guess.

I have to get my aftermarket spotlights chromed, then I can install them and do some final photos of the Mercedes all cleaned up.

#125 hot ford coupe

hot ford coupe

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:14 PM

Hey Harry. Looks like I've been asleep at the wheel here. I've been busy over at the other place having a ball over there too. That's a great job on the Mercedes. I really love the uphostery you've done. It's one of the best I've seen. I'll be following this build a lot more closely. Catch you later.

#126 Hornistfuller

Hornistfuller

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Full Name:Erik

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:28 PM

how.We shouldmake a mcm crazy bastard club...lol youd definitly qualify zomg this is just amazing...:0:0:0:0 i am in awe

#127 stevegt738

stevegt738

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:05 PM

Wow, this has been a great read. What a frustrating kit, but the results you've got look fantastic. You certainly have more patience than me, I would have launched it into orbit long before this. Huge kudos for the effort you've put in.

#128 Jim Gibbons

Jim Gibbons

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:32 AM

Poking Harry...so when are we going to see this Under Glass, or did I miss it?

#129 ScrappyJ

ScrappyJ

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:18 PM

I don't know much about the "Pocher" models, but this thing is spectacular! Great job, Harry!

#130 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,427 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:32 PM

Poking Harry...so when are we going to see this Under Glass, or did I miss it?

No, you didn't miss it.

I just don't have any way of photographing it on a clean background. The thing is huge... I would need some sort of photo sweep and a fairly serious lighting set up, neither of which I have... :angry:

#131 MikeMc

MikeMc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:50 PM

No, you didn't miss it.

I just don't have any way of photographing it on a clean background. The thing is huge... I would need some sort of photo sweep and a fairly serious lighting set up, neither of which I have... :lol:

Nor need. A Model that large will be at home outside at one of the local "Park Preserves" as y'all call them A bright sunny day....:lol: Oh sorry Harry your in Chicago...Well June will be here soon, or fly down here with it and I'll shoot it for you....Lots of natural light here ;) ;) :lol:

#132 Cato

Cato

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  • Full Name:See below:

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:05 PM

I just don't have any way of photographing it on a clean background... I would need some sort of photo sweep and a fairly serious lighting set up, neither of which I have... :lol:

Stop the BS Harry. Sometimes the sun shines in Chicago. You "can do anything" in Photoshop-remember????? :lol:
Make it happen-inquiring eyes want to know...

#133 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,427 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:20 PM

Nor need. A Model that large will be at home outside at one of the local "Park Preserves" as y'all call them A bright sunny day....:lol: Oh sorry Harry your in Chicago...Well June will be here soon, or fly down here with it and I'll shoot it for you....Lots of natural light here ;) ;) :lol:

Actually it was nice and sunny today. Really! No kidding!!! :lol:

#134 John Teresi

John Teresi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,108 posts
  • Full Name:John Teresi

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:33 PM

Harry ......this has to be the most beautiful model I have ever seen.......I love those old classic`s.......here is a photo of one of my dad`s cars.......I will be making him a replica soon......I need to find a kit that I can work with?.......Beautiful work Harry.
Posted Image

#135 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,427 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:38 PM

John... when a builder of your caliber tells me he likes my work, well... that means a lot to me! :lol:

Thank you very much!

#136 Jim Gibbons

Jim Gibbons

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:29 PM

Harry ......this has to be the most beautiful model I have ever seen.......I love those old classic`s.......here is a photo of one of my dad`s cars.......I will be making him a replica soon......I need to find a kit that I can work with?.......Beautiful work Harry.

There's a Bandai 1/16 Duesenburg Weymann boattail kit on Ebay for big $:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item3f08c04b71

I never built one, but guess it would be along the lines of the '37 Packards as far as detail. Lots of scratchbuilding, and it has wheel disks. I don't know if you have the option of wire wheels. Otherwise, it'll have to be a 1/24 Monogram Duesey.

#137 Jim Gibbons

Jim Gibbons

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:46 PM

No, you didn't miss it.

I just don't have any way of photographing it on a clean background. The thing is huge... I would need some sort of photo sweep and a fairly serious lighting set up, neither of which I have... :D

I wish I could find the pictures I took of mine years ago. I may have the negatives in storage. At the time, I lived near a park that had a small concrete stage on a slight slope. The uphill side where I positioned the model was about 3' high. I took pics outside on a beautiful day using a 35mm camera w/ a 28mm wide angle lens. I had parked my car next to the stage, and by happy accident, the MB pics had a little of the Chevy showing, looking like it was parked next to it in some shots. The far end of the stage blended in the the grass in the distance, so it worked well. I had a Bulgarian friend at work who knew his classics cars, convinced it was a real car (I kept telling him it was a model,) and I had to bring the model in to prove it, lol! My model didn't look as nice as Harry's, either. I should have painted the whitewalls, too; improves the look and breaks up that massive black body. I wish Pocher would have done a production body like the 1/24 Italeri 540K.

Edited by Jim Gibbons, 05 April 2011 - 04:47 PM.

#138 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,427 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 04:50 PM

I wish Pocher would have done a production body like the 1/24 Italeri 540K.

I wish Pocher was still in existence!

#139 pharr7226

pharr7226

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Full Name:Rick

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:06 PM

Somehow I missed this build. This is exceptionally beautiful build. I'm glad you overcame the challenges of the kit and created such an incredible build.

#140 Scott Colmer

Scott Colmer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:14 PM

HARRY! First time I ever opened this thread. YOU are a master. Totally killer. I can't imagine what it would take to build with that much detail. I am truly impressed.

Scott.