#141 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,431 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:58 AM

Yeah, somehow I missed it too. Great work Harry. My dad has the remains of a Pocher Duesey he built years ago. He won't give it to me because he's afraid I'm going to hot rod it.

#142 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,857 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:35 AM

Harry ......this has to be the most beautiful model I have ever seen.......I love those old classic`s.......here is a photo of one of my dad`s cars.......I will be making him a replica soon......I need to find a kit that I can work with?.......Beautiful work Harry.
Posted Image

Wow, I'm jealous. You probably know more about where to start with a kit than I do, but I know the Hubley/Gabriel metal kit and the Monogram SJ are readily available out there. Both look like they'll take quite a bit of modification to replicate the real one.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just thought I'd toss in some pictures until Harry awes us with his "Under Glass" shots of the Mercedes.

Edited by sjordan2, 06 April 2011 - 06:37 AM.

#143 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,774 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:42 PM

Yeah, somehow I missed it too. Great work Harry. My dad has the remains of a Pocher Duesey he built years ago. He won't give it to me because he's afraid I'm going to hot rod it.

Someone's memory is suspect here... Pocher never made a Duesenberg.

#144 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • Location:Aussie....Northern N.S.W. Not far from Dragalogalong..
  • Full Name:Greg "stump" Armour

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:35 PM

Oops....;) Yes, sorry Harry. I'm guilty of glossing straight passed this one. :)
Not entirely my cup of tea, but I can easily see why people DO like these kits.....Excellent detail and craftsmanship.
And of course, without dedicated, steady hands doing the work.....well, you know what I mean Harry. GREAT work. B)

#145 Romell R

Romell R

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
  • Full Name:Romell Robinson

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:48 AM

Harry , Harry, Harry...... I love it man! its a bit over my head though, YOU ARE THE MAN! excellent work on this build. Actually i didnt know you were a model builder i just thought you like to hang out around us guys and talk trash every now and then.......J/K keep up the awesome work! :)

#146 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,774 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:51 PM

Harry , Harry, Harry...... I love it man! its a bit over my head though, YOU ARE THE MAN! excellent work on this build. Actually i didnt know you were a model builder i just thought you like to hang out around us guys and talk trash every now and then.......J/K keep up the awesome work! :lol:

Dude!
Where have you been? I've posted a lot of my stuff here on the forum... ;)

Thanks for the compliments, though... and right back atcha! ;)

Now get those Chevelle photos working for me... ;)

#147 m3fan

m3fan

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Full Name:Russell Ferguson

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Hi Harry,

Found this build thread and have to say as much frustration that it caused you it looks great!

Our local club was given this same car to be done as a group build and auctioned off for charity. my job are the wheels. I have a question for you though. Did you polish the metal parts with anything and if so what did you use? The spokes on the kit we have are very dull and some of the other metal parts look dull as well.

Any help you can shed would be appreciated.

Russ

#148 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,774 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:06 AM

My kit was in great shape when I got it, no polishing was needed on any of the metal parts.

#149 Cato

Cato

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts
  • Full Name:See below:

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:18 AM

Harry-I forgot how wonderfully instructional this thread was for us Pocher builders. Please take the Benz outside (if you have to) and shoot it so we can appreciate the scope of your work.

Russ-any 1:1 auto metal polish will work. Mother's white paste is one.

#150 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,774 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:30 AM

Cato... will do. I had this one 95% finished and never followed up.

#151 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,774 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

Well, here (finally...  :rolleyes: ) are the finished pictures.

mercedes5.jpg

mercedes4.jpg

Paint is... none! Gasp!  :o

Yeah, that's right, none. The black plastic body panels were so perfectly polished and shiny right out of the box, I knew right away that there was no way I could ever come up with a paint finish to match that. Painting just isn't my thing... actually painting a body is my least favorite part of building a model. So I left well enough alone.

I did a custom interior, because these were real high-end cars in real life... custom coachwork, anything goes, really. Like contemporary RRs, the only limit a customer had was the size of his bankbook... so I upholstered my interior with a pretty wild animal print-type "leather" and added custom "leather"/wood/chrome insert door panels. The seats are aftermarket resin items... much more realistic than the kit-supplied units:

mercedes2.jpg

I used an aftermarket steering wheel, horn ring and wheel hub. I also used clear Lexan to cut new windshield glass; the kit supplied glass was too thick and way out of scale. The new "glass" is mounted in in-scale "rubber" gaskets made of styrene U-channel (you can see that "gasket" right at the middle pillar, by the rearview mirror. Dash is covered in real wood, glove box handles are made of silver paper clips:

mercedes9.jpg

On the dash, I simulated the "mother of pearl" gauge insert panel with a piece of paper from the scrapbooking aisle at Hobby Lobby. The paper has a pretty realistic "mother of pearl" pattern printed onto it. The MB logo crest on the wheel hub is part of the aftermarket steering wheel package:

mercedes8.jpg

Actually, I used a lot of aftermarket parts on this one... interior and exterior door handles, wipers, hood mesh inserts, grille mesh, headlights, etc...

mercedes1.jpg

mercedes6.jpg

The cloth convertible top really works. I didn't want to mess with the tiny PE buckles so I left it open, but it really does work (honest!):

mercedes3.jpg

#152 Cato

Cato

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts
  • Full Name:See below:

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

Thanks-was worth the wait. I need a cigarette now... :wub:

That was a ton of work even without the paint finish. Did you BMF all the chrome sweeps and accents or is that kit chrome?

And I'm flinching seeing 6 wire wheels. Marvin's stuff is beautiful and the expense is secondary with results like that.

What thickness is the Lexsan (expensive vs plex- no?) - I need to get some and the channel you used.

You solved a ton of problems (the scratch folding top for example) with great craftsmanship.

Great work Harry.

#153 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,774 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

Some of the chrome trim (on the deck lid, for instance) are kit pieces, the side sweeps and the run strips on the running boards are foil. Whitewalls are white acrylic craft paint brush painted on. The Lexan I used was actually left over from a different kit (I don't throw anything away!). It's just about 1mm thick and fits perfectly into the Plastruct "U" channel that I used to simulate the rubber gaskets.

Yeah, building six of those wheels is a chore...  :lol:

Actually I just realized that I still have to mount the lights that go on the windshield pillars (they have the rear-view mirrors mounted on their backs). I guess I'm still not finished after all!

#154 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,857 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:27 AM

Bravo. Definitely worth the wait and the investment, including the upgrades. Did you give it a brake job yet?

#155 Madd Trucker

Madd Trucker

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Ferguson

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

Harry great looking build .. I havhe an original Pocher Volvo truck kit you wouldny believe what I paid for it

#156 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,774 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

Harry great looking build .. I havhe an original Pocher Volvo truck kit you wouldny believe what I paid for it

Because you got it really cheap? Or because you paid a fortune?

That's one Pocher kit I almost never see for sale. I'd buy it just because it would be cool to build a 1/8 scale truck.

#157 Madd Trucker

Madd Trucker

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Ferguson

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

I paid a a cheap price for it 80 dollars the guy I bought it from paid the same price he bought it at a yard sale he said he was never going to build it .I understand now it goes for well north of a grand

#158 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,774 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

I paid a a cheap price for it 80 dollars the guy I bought it from paid the same price he bought it at a yard sale he said he was never going to build it .I understand now it goes for well north of a grand

Wow! You got the steal of the century.

#159 vaughn

vaughn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Full Name:terry vaughn white

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

Way to go Harry!!! This obviously was a character building experience  !!   Great final results !!  

#160 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,774 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

Way to go Harry!!! This obviously was a character building experience  !!   Great final results !!  

Thank you, Terry!