Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Quickie Viper Paint Job - WIP

93Z34

I was just messing about at the desk tonight while I was working on my Ram SVT truck. I decided to break out one of the Viper kits I had sitting on the shelf to see what I could do with it. Well, when I opened the box I was less than impressed with the amount of mold lines and flash that was on the body and different pieces. I spent quite awhile sanding the mold lines and rescribing some panel lines to restore the body to it's original configuration.

I then temporarily put the front and rear fascias on the body and decided I'd try the GTS Blue Pearl from Model Master's new Lacquer line. I went downstairs and just quickly laid down a few quick coats of the blue right over the white plastic. I didn't expect the car to turn out decent at all. Imagine my surprise!!! :D :D :D:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Never in my wildest dreams did I expect the paint to turn out the way it did! I'll let the pics speak for themselves, but even they don't do the paintjob justice. Anyways, here we go with some pics. Now I'm going to get busy on this car as well! What a night!!!!

DodgeViper007.jpg

DodgeViper006.jpg

DodgeViper005.jpg

DodgeViper004.jpg

DodgeViper003.jpg

DodgeViper002.jpg

DodgeViper001.jpg

That's cool! It came out really nice!

My procedure for painting is:

1. body prep

2. primer

3. color

4. clear

5. polish

6. screw it up

7. start all over again

8. repeat at least twice

Step 6 can happen anytime during the process forcing step 7.

Ya know, the last two paint jobs I tackled I just basically went ahead and threw color down without any serious prepping of the body. I know it's taboo to do this, but I have gotten so frustrated with spending hours and days prepping a body for paint only to have it screw up that I figured I didn't have anything to lose by trying this method a time or two. I mean, the worst that could happen is I have to strip the body and start over and it's not like I haven't been doing that to just about every car I've tried to paint in the past two years anyways. For whatever reason, I just haven't had good luck with primering, painting, wetsanding and clearcoating.

This paint job was probably the quickest I've ever done and it's probably one of the smoothest I've ever laid down. Just goes to show if you don't care about the project at hand it'll give you the least amount of headaches and trouble. :roll:

Thanks Matt. The decals are giving me fits on the nose already. With all the curves and so forth, the decals are not settling down the way they should and it looks like ######. I may have to scrounge another set of Viper decals up to redo the nose at this point. It's definitely not beyond hope though!!!!

Thanks Matt. The decals are giving me fits on the nose already. With all the curves and so forth, the decals are not settling down the way they should and it looks like ######. I may have to scrounge another set of Viper decals up to redo the nose at this point. It's definitely not beyond hope though!!!!

If you're having trouble with the decals.............try a "Hot Towel" method. Basically take a paper towl.....dip it in hot water--------as much as you can stand------squeeze off excess water, and then press down on the model. The heat from the paper towel will help the decal to form around irregular curves.

You could also try Micro Sol..........but I don't know if you have any on hand, and my method is the cheapie way to go. :wink: