Show/Contest Judges - Touch Or No Touch?

• You cannot reply to this topic
111 replies to this topic

#61 Jon Cole

Jon Cole

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts
  • Full Name:Jon... although my parents used to call me "KNOCK IT OFF!"

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:58 PM

C'mon, guys! Everyone knows meat & models don't go together!

Posted Image

#62 PlasticWagens

PlasticWagens

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Full Name:Matt Sheldon

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:59 PM

No issues with a judge handling the model if that is what it takes to properly judge the car. If we go to a full points judging and the underside of a very nice model cannot be seen loses to a glue bomb that displays all judged areas is that the better way? Cars need to be viewed by whatever means necessary, to me it goes with the teritory. Unless it is a diarama or curbside I think it is necessary to handle to view all aspects of the modeling subject. You picked it up to bring it to the show, so it obviously can be handled. That being said, promoters could go over the guidelines to proper handling and contestants could also leave instructions as to fragile or loose pieces.

Edited by PlasticWagens, 17 January 2010 - 06:41 PM.

#63 seeker589

seeker589

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:13 AM

C'mon, guys! Everyone knows meat & models don't go together!

Posted Image

I'll take my Charger rare - stuffed with elephant - with a baked Potato - Butter, Sour Cream and Chives. Hey - Could I get another moonshine with a Coors chaser with that!

#64 Karmodeler2

Karmodeler2

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:01 AM

Besides , if the Griz is wearing panties , I think I could take him , the big sissy ! :D

When it comes to the show tables , the Georgia Satellites said it best...... "Don't hand me no lines and keep your hands to yourself "

Donn Yost

I wrote my response backwards to you....I should have typed the "bear" first and "you" second. I think it would have had more impact. I knew what you meant, I was just poking fun at you. You and I have the same view as we have PM each other about this. I think when one of the entrants (who think it's okay for judges to handle models) gets his car dropped, chipped, or has fingerprints that will not rub out because he did not wipe his entrant down after the show, will change his way of thinking. Experience will teach him more than we could ever write.

I entered an OOB pick up at GSL that I had spent 4 hours buffing just the cab. You can imagine the amount of time in the rest of the truck. It was in contention for Best Paint. Unfortunately, it was competing against my Aston Martin that won. I would be really ticked off with someone thinking that it was okay to pick this jewel up. It was dark green, so I would know immediately if someone had handled the truck. I always tell judges that I did not spend 60 plus hours of labor for you to put your DNA all over my model. I don't work for the FBI so I don't need your DNA.

I don't go to IPMS events anymore. I take the advice I give. If you don't like the rules, don't play the game. The more modeler's they ostrasize, the less talent they will have.

I agree with the Satellites!!

David

#65 Jon Cole

Jon Cole

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts
  • Full Name:Jon... although my parents used to call me "KNOCK IT OFF!"

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:53 AM

I think I might be able to get extra points @ the next show if I wrap them in Bacon.

You can't go wrong with bacon! Everything tastes better with bacon!

Posted Image

#66 DiscoRover007

DiscoRover007

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Full Name:James Rossman

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:06 AM

I personally strive to build my models to best of my ability and we all know how much time, work and effort can go into them. I would not trust a judge to handle my models. I do not personally care if he is a modeler himself because that doesn't say anything about his skill level or how I would like my models to be handled. I'm the same way with my real car. I pretty much do all of my own maintenance. I will not go to any jiffy lube or most mechanics.

I've never entered a competition and I would not enter at the expense of ruining a model.The only person you have to prove to anything to is yourself. However if I do enter one I plan to take pictures in the assembly process and detailed interior photos. So perhaps it will not be necessary for the model to be touched.

Edited by DiscoRover007, 08 March 2014 - 09:09 AM.

#67 MachinistMark

MachinistMark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,185 posts
  • Full Name:Mark fulmore

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:44 PM

Judge or no judge if I saw someone touching my model I'd break their g-d hand.

#68 Austin T

Austin T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts
  • Full Name:Austin Tyler

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:03 PM

Being a judge multiple times I can tell you that almost all of the guys I have worked alongside with don't want to touch a model. They respect the work and effort that the builder has put into it. Now have had to touch a few multiple times because these guys will fold their info sheets up and stick the model smack dab on top of the info! Whenever I move someone elses work I use my gloves, call me a nerd if you want but I have yet to damage a model.

#69 Maindrian Pace

Maindrian Pace

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Schnur

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:31 PM

I know that this thread is four years old, but if you have detailed your chassis to include brake and fuel lines, e-brake cables and linkages, wiring and other features, you are going to want that judge to look at the underside to determine that it's better than the car next to it with the same quality paint job and none of the underside attention.

-MJS

#70 LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:52 PM

I know that this thread is four years old, but if you have detailed your chassis to include brake and fuel lines, e-brake cables and linkages, wiring and other features, you are going to want that judge to look at the underside to determine that it's better than the car next to it with the same quality paint job and none of the underside attention.

-MJS

Yup ! That's why you use a mirror for a base , so they can see that detail ..... Without touching the model ! Four year later .... My opinion hasn't changed one bit ! Hands off !

#71 philo426

philo426

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:54 PM

Seems to me that lifting it by the roof _of a coupe.sedan or hardtop would be the safest method of handling it without damaging it.

#72 LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:09 PM

Seems to me that lifting it by the roof _of a coupe.sedan or hardtop would be the safest method of handling it without damaging it.

Nope ! Guaranteed my Willys frame hits the deck ! I don't glue them together ! Reasons for such actions were stated in my original post on this thread . Believe me , I am not the only individual that builds this way or thinks this way due to the same considerations !

Forgot to add this .... Best way to pick up a model ? Thumb on the drip edge of the roof , wrap hand around , slide fingers under the frame and lift . Never pick up a model by it's roof or drip edges .

Edited by LoneWolf15, 08 March 2014 - 05:32 PM.

#73 philo426

philo426

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:47 AM

Well,that is strange. ALWAYS glue  the frame to the body do not see any reason not to do so!

#74 LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:06 AM

Well,that is strange. ALWAYS glue  the frame to the body do not see any reason not to do so!

How are you to get the build back apart to repair an interior part that has come loose ? What if the windshield gets knocked out , a side window , etc ? With the frame glued to the body , you're going to bust the daylights out the model trying to get it apart .

Are my models going to fall apart when picked up ? Nope ! Are they fragile ? Not really . However , they are mine , and I know how to handle them and do not want anyone else doing so ! Should something happen and one gets damaged , I can easily take it apart , repair it , and put it back together , good as new !

Edited by LoneWolf15, 09 March 2014 - 11:08 AM.

#75 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:10 AM

I've never objected to contest judges picking up any of my models for the purpose of seeing clearly the underside--after all, unless my model is entered as "curbside" I want the judges to see and evaluate the work I've put into the entire underside.

If one has ever attended a concours d'elegance or a carefully judged AACA or single marque club show--those judges go all over the cars being judged, over, under around and through to evaluate all restoration work for correctness and workmanship--and that includes crawling underneath the cars to see the chassis and undersides.  I always figure that if they do that at real car shows, I have no problem with a contest judge making a reasonable effort to judge any of my cars completely--and that means "over, under, around and through" at least to the extent possible.  I've also been willing to take the risk that yes, my model might get damaged--BUT in over 50 years of entering model cars in contests, I have yet to have a model damaged--yet I am very well aware that it's happened to others.   It's also been my understanding that damage to a model by a judge tends to be pretty rare--it doesn't happen at every contest, nor does it happen to every model car entered.

Just my personal beliefs expressed.

Art

#76 DrGlueblob

DrGlueblob

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Full Name:Chip Johnson

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:27 PM

"No Gerfingerpokin und Mittengrabbin".. I have seen broken hoods, snapped-off photoetch, and big fingerprints on my stuff at contests waaay too many times. I rarely.. very rarely enter shows anymore. Especially anything associated with IPMS. An eight-buck trophy isn't worth the hassle.

I do like to let folks look at my models. People's Choice is where you are safe from grabby judging, but there's always those in the crowd that have to poke a finger here n' there, as well as Mr.Ballcap, too. To combat that, I ask that I get mine displayed as far away from the table edge as practicable.

#77 ZTony8

ZTony8

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Full Name:Tony Buglione

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:15 AM

I've judged at several contests in the Metro Detroit area for a few years now and we routinely pick up the entries(except curbside,of course).If you enter a judged contest in any class except curbside you should expect that your entry will be handled(carefully) to be properly judged.It's part of the process.We don't intentionally harm the models while judging.Sometimes parts fall off or break,which makes us judges uncomfortable-we don't want to be blamed for damage to a model.The spectators are more of a hazard to the entries.Aside from signs indicating that spectators shoudn't touch the models about the only thing that can be done is to put up a barrier a safe distance away from the contest tables.If that distance is too great then the models can't be seen very well and the spectators are disappointed.Bottom line-If you don't want your model handled,don't enter a judged contest.That's what's good about an NNL for people who get vapors if their entries are touched.

Edited by ZTony8, 10 March 2014 - 10:47 AM.

#78 om617

om617

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • Full Name:Tommy Olsen

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:31 AM

Cant people put up an note "Attention judges" where it say the chassis  etc is not glued?

I am assuming the builder are not allowed when the model is judged? Or he/she could

just be there and handle it for the judge. If the judge break off mirrors,antennas or such

i would say he/she should not be touching models at all.

#79 Dragline

Dragline

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts
  • Full Name:Bob Frias

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:29 AM

c'mon man, einstein didnt invent evolution for nothing.

There is so much wrong with this sentence I'm not sure where to begin......

Bob

#80 philo426

philo426

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:18 AM

I have never had any of those issues!Careful assembly has its benefits!