#1 blueovalfever

blueovalfever

Looker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Full Name:eric

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:46 PM

hello,i am kinda new to this stuff. i used to put models together as a kid but that was better than 20 yrs ago....lol. i am working on a 1966 chevelle station wagon. i have been using testors lacquer paints. i have used flaming orange for the base and used gloss lacquer clear as a top coat. i would like to wet sand the finish and spray the testors wet look clear which is also lacquer. it has been about 2 weeks since i sprayed the clear,is it safe to sand and re-clear?

Edited by blueovalfever, 20 January 2010 - 05:55 PM.

#2 weasel

weasel

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts
  • Full Name:Dick Wessel, hence weasel...

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:44 AM

you could probably re-clear within the hour with lacquers!!

a good rule of thumb, sniff the body, if you can still 'smell the paint' give it some more time.

#3 blueovalfever

blueovalfever

Looker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:36 AM

you could probably re-clear within the hour with lacquers!!

a good rule of thumb, sniff the body, if you can still 'smell the paint' give it some more time.

thanks...i worked at a restoration shop for over ten years workin on old cars...until july of last year anyway. i had used lacquers there but i didnt know if these were the same as automotive. im used to using the urethanes...wish i could use them on the models..that gets mega shin right out of the gun

#4 jeffs396

jeffs396

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:47 AM

Welcome to the site Eric!!!

You can use urethanes on your models...once there is a good primer on the styrene, any topcoat can be used!

#5 blueovalfever

blueovalfever

Looker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:46 PM

what kind of primers do you guys prefer anyways? im hoping to be able to progress in the model building abilities...lol...although when you build $100,000 show cars for people it kind of helps to get realism. i would also like to know where you guys are getting your sanding and polishing stuff

#6 weasel

weasel

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts
  • Full Name:Dick Wessel, hence weasel...

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:18 AM

i'm a firm believer in Plasticote sandable primers...T235-236-237-238 grey, black, white, red...

a good 'barrier' for the plastic to accept the hotter automotive lacquers/enamels...i believe you can put 2 part Urethane over anything without any probs... spray away!!

#7 LoneWolf15

LoneWolf15

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:32 AM

Eric ,

Polishing kits are available from Model Empire out of Wisconsin , modelempire.com , or detailmasters.com. The Deatil Masters kit starts at 3200 grit and goes to 12000 . The LMG kit from Model Empire starts at 1800 grit and goes to 120000.

Donn Yost

Donn Yost