77 replies to this topic

#21 RodneyBad

RodneyBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:40 PM

Got my grubby little hand on mine today and all I can say is WOW !!!!!
Posted Image

OMG, Those Tins look HUGE!!
Are they as large as a Tamiya Box?
Still not here on the west coast tho :rolleyes:

#22 RodneyBad

RodneyBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:44 PM

The one I mainly go to says they won't get them in for another week.
So I went to another LHS and found One there. :P

#23 Marc @ MPC Motorsports

Marc @ MPC Motorsports

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
  • Location:Oklahoma...where the wind comes sweeping down the plain!!!

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:49 PM

OMG, Those Tins look HUGE!!
Are they as large as a Tamiya Box?
Still not here on the west coast tho :P

I got mine Thursday. It was mailed in a Priority Mail flat box and it about the same size as a Tamiya or Aoshima box.

#24 Fuel Coupe

Fuel Coupe

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts
  • Full Name:Shane Gans

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:50 PM

Picked up my first one today, One set of valve covers have sink marks and my whitewall piecrusts have a "slight" offset to the whitewall. The race masters are

FREAKING AWESOME!!!!

Going to my LHS Monday to pick up my other one...

Edited by TxRat, 30 January 2010 - 04:52 PM.

#25 Terry Sumner

Terry Sumner

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  • Full Name:Terry Sumner Sr.

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:45 PM

Bought 2 DD kits for $27.95 each from Len Feinberg's Fantastic Plastics. With shipping of $8.95 for both kits it came to $64.85 total. Not too bad I guess. Geez the first ones I bought back in the 60's were only a couple of bucks! LOL

Edited by Terry Sumner, 31 January 2010 - 03:45 PM.

#26 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,000 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:14 PM

i have two of the blueprinter reissues (anything wrong with them? not that i can see) but still want this tin can edition.

#27 Janne Herajärvi

Janne Herajärvi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:19 PM

Does anyone know is this going to be identical kit except box art?

http://www.round2mod...double-dragster

I am wondering witch one i should buy :lol:

#28 spkgibson

spkgibson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:27 PM

$35 to $50 for these?The kit looks nice,but thats way to much to pay for the tin,just my oppinion guys,I like the tires they look fairly nice,aside from the offset...................The rest well..........If the parts mentioned were not messed up,then I could see purchasing one,Quality control at Round 2 needs to step up abit!Myself I can't see spending that kind of money for it,Unless your a serious collector...............Steve Ketterer

#29 James W

James W

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Full Name:James

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:56 PM

The Centerlines are still there,just unplated. This kit is really making it hard for me to keep my "no new projects" rule. I may just have to break it. :D

I didn't think hobbies had rules.

#30 spkgibson

spkgibson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:05 PM

Ok well as far as historical value of the kits,well it's now 2010,not 1960 or whenever these kits were produced,Instead of WASTING the money to reissue this kit,Well they could have cleaned up some of the molds of significant REAL cars that are more disireable then this ,by far I would have rather seen some of the late 60's and 70's Mopars,and Funny cars of that era reissued,thats just my oppinion,Kudos to those who have bought a few of them,My oppinion,The hobby is becoming extremely boring with stuff that is reissued to extremes,But oh well that is just me...........I'll spend my money on something rare........that isn't an over priced kit that will flop in 6 months!.......I myself am an advid collector and builder...these to me are worth about $20 to me,thats it!

#31 Marc @ MPC Motorsports

Marc @ MPC Motorsports

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
  • Location:Oklahoma...where the wind comes sweeping down the plain!!!

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:18 PM

Ok well as far as historical value of the kits,well it's now 2010,not 1960 or whenever these kits were produced,Instead of WASTING the money to reissue this kit,Well they could have cleaned up some of the molds of significant REAL cars that are more disireable then this ,by far I would have rather seen some of the late 60's and 70's Mopars,and Funny cars of that era reissued,thats just my oppinion,Kudos to those who have bought a few of them,My oppinion,The hobby is becoming extremely boring with stuff that is reissued to extremes,But oh well that is just me...........I'll spend my money on something rare........that isn't an over priced kit that will flop in 6 months!.......I myself am an advid collector and builder...these to me are worth about $20 to me,thats it!

Steve,

I couldn't agree more about cleaning up molds of REAL cars, but pretty much everything that has been able to be reissued in the musclecar arena like Mopars, Funny cars, etc, has been reissued. '68-69 Coronets...gone. Early 1970s Dusters...gone. Just do what I do and keep buying and restoring the old stuff.

#32 spkgibson

spkgibson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:26 PM

Thats exactly what I do,Restore old kits ,By chance if I see something NEW of interest,I'll purchase a few ,Now if this was the 68 Hemi dart done like this kit,that would be a great kit!

#33 spkgibson

spkgibson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:43 PM

I see the point of it,It just agravates the heck out of me,That there is so many other tools in the archives,that are just sitting there begging to be reissued,I'll shut up now!............... :D Maybe I'll get one just for an investment!.........So when you guys build yours and can't find one,I'll have one for the taking.........Just Kidding guys!Steve Ketterer

#34 RyanSilva

RyanSilva

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Full Name:Ryan

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:12 AM

Not being a jerk either Dave,but the wheels in the DD look nothing like Super Tricks. Super Tricks are not flat,they have an outward cove to them. Here's a link to a pair of the street trick wheels on ebay:Cragar SST The Monogram black '66 Malibu street machine had wheels that were very close to Super Tricks.

This Camaro has the exact wheels that are in the DD,only they are chromed. These actually came from an old AMT funny car. They may not be Centerlines,but they are definitely not Super Tricks.

The double dragster wheels are based on the super tricks. Yes the conical center isnt their, but the wheel bolts are the same -15 secure the two halves together.

My only thought is, AMT took the easy way out and just did not do the domed center. Even though the Drag centers aren't domed as much like the Street versions
These are the drag versions. The centers are more gradually domed in the center.

I'm not sure what kit it is, but there has been a accurate set made by mpc/amt/revell/johan, just cant think of which company.

http://static.racing...UPER-TRICKS.jpg

Edited by RyanSilva, 06 February 2010 - 07:17 AM.

#35 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,000 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:32 PM

this is the artwork that was on the kit when i originally bought it back in the early sixties:

Posted Image

i was kind of expecting that art on the tin too.

from what i understand this issue will not have the extra parts or decals and in fact may be missing parts from the original release (not to mention likely have the reissue wheels as discussed above). probably the blueprinter release back in a colorful box, that would be my not-connected-to-anyone-important guess.

so for me its a no-brainer, a few more bucks but nice extras and a cool tin to put paint in or something.

#36 Modelmartin

Modelmartin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts
  • Full Name:Mr. Yuk

Posted 07 February 2010 - 02:38 PM

i have an old built-up of a rear engined dragster that i don't know who made originally.
Dave

Could that be the Monogram Snake/Mongoose kits? They had some nice spun aluminum looking Supertricks in them. I always liked the Monogram 66 Chevelle S/Ts. They looked real nice. They also put a real nice Motor Wheel "Fly" wheel in the awful 69 Camaro kit.

#37 tabsscale1

tabsscale1

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Full Name:Todd Buckles

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:19 PM

Where can I buy these. My LHS doesn't cary them Posted Image

Lrn at fantastic plastics has them for $27.95 plus shipping . he takes paypal and some creadit cards . here is his web addy

http://www.fantastic-plastics.com/

#38 RyanSilva

RyanSilva

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Full Name:Ryan

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:50 PM

Competition Resins has them also, pretty awesome looking!

#39 whale392

whale392

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts
  • Full Name:Bradley Emery

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:02 AM

With regards to those who believe that this 're-issue' was a waste of time......your opinion is duly noted and respected. Now, let me shed some light from the other side of that perspective. I destroyed some of these ORIGINAL kits of my dads when I was young and dumb. Now that I am older and wiser, I am truly glad to have them re-issued so that I might properly enjoy them. At $43.00 for the tin, I thought it was along the current pricing line for individual kits.....no big deal to me expenditure-wise. As to the kit detail level; as stated it is a re-issue of 60s molds, and should be looked at as such. As to the level of build options contained in this kit and the sheer parts content value....this kit delivers!! Potvin blowers, SCOT and Enderle injection, 12 spoke wheels..........the list goes on. I for one am very glad they re-released this kit as they did, with all the extras. Money wasted; not hardly. Will they recoupe what they spent to release this; from my initial reaction and seeing others reactions, I believe they have a hit on their hands. I have purchased one so far, and look to snatch up AT LEAST 2 more before the whole deal is up. My dad had it pretty good in the 60s....these kits may lack somewhat on modern detail level, but they truly make up for that in parts and build variations.

Edited by whale392, 09 February 2010 - 12:04 AM.

#40 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,876 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:38 AM

Some of you might this interesting. I'm putting all my magazines & catalogs into binders and came across an Auto World catalog dated 1962. The catalog shows an AMT "Double Dragster" kit #161. The price? $1.98 plus shipping of course.