Great product for replicating Vinyl tops!!!

• You cannot reply to this topic
46 replies to this topic

#21 jevries

jevries

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 09:12 AM

Exactly the tip I was looking for! Thanks! :P

#22 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,858 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:41 PM

3M Spray Mount is NOT a permanent medium. I have used it for nearly 30 years in mounting advertising presentation materials and it will eventually peel and lose its grip. I urge you not to think of this as something to use in this application.

Further, do not use it around equipment such as printers and copiers. The mist it creates will gum everything up, as my companies have found when trying to fix Xerox and other nearby machinery.

Edited by sjordan2, 17 March 2010 - 04:45 PM.

#23 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,779 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:48 PM

A much easier way to do vinyl tops is to just hold the can far away from the model and spray, creating "orange peel" texture. You know, like what you try to avoid in most situations... :lol: but it works great for creating a "vinyl" top look. Very simple, very easy.

#24 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,858 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:02 PM

A much easier way to do vinyl tops is to just hold the can far away from the model and spray, creating "orange peel" texture. You know, like what you try to avoid in most situations... :lol: but it works great for creating a "vinyl" top look. Very simple, very easy.

I think Harry has it right here, and someone else has mentioned that it's better to use enamels instead of lacquers in this application, since they take longer to dry and can hold the first-spray texture better before you use a final cover coat.

#25 cruz

cruz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts
  • Full Name:Marcos Cruz

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:17 AM

3M Spray Mount is NOT a permanent medium. I have used it for nearly 30 years in mounting advertising presentation materials and it will eventually peel and lose its grip. I urge you not to think of this as something to use in this application.

Further, do not use it around equipment such as printers and copiers. The mist it creates will gum everything up, as my companies have found when trying to fix Xerox and other nearby machinery.

OH! This is permanent bro, I tested this on a spare body and tried scraping it and couldn't do it. It might not be permanent in other mediums but for this application, it's perfect, this thing ain't coming off!! B)

#26 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,858 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:38 AM

OH! This is permanent bro, I tested this on a spare body and tried scraping it and couldn't do it. It might not be permanent in other mediums but for this application, it's perfect, this thing ain't coming off!! :lol:

Good to know it works in this application, and it certainly looks terrific. Everything I've used it for always peels off, and we eventually stopped using it because of health concerns.

By the way, has anyone tried the Model Master vinyl top base coat and texturing sprays?

#27 mr moto

mr moto

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • Full Name:Manuel J. Martinez

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:33 AM

3M Spray Mount is NOT a permanent medium. I have used it for nearly 30 years in mounting advertising presentation materials and it will eventually peel and lose its grip.

Of course it peels off! Why should it be any different from a real vinyl top!! Posted Image

#28 Guest_Sickfish_*

Guest_Sickfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:28 PM

I have to agree with Marcos, i went & got some of this stuff as there was a local artist supply warehouse 2 blocks from where i live, & let me back Marcos up here...this stuff AIN'T coming off any time soon. I sprayed it on a test body & i've let it sit ( with a quick coat of testors black chrome trim ) for 48hrs & there ain't no way it's coming off. The only way i got some of it to peel back was by using my Exacto blade!! I think a coat or 2 of good semi-gloss clear sealer will strenghten any future doubts of peel back....Posted Image

Marcos....Thankyou bro!! I'm using it on my Superbees!
Cheers Cliffo!

#29 dodgerblue62

dodgerblue62

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Full Name:Michael

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:36 AM

this is a very good idea . it looks very realistic . im gonna try this one out soon .....

#30 meaneyme

meaneyme

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:23 AM

Hey Cruz, how did you get the look on the lines on top of the roof? They look just like the real ones with the overlap and all.

#31 cruz

cruz

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts
  • Full Name:Marcos Cruz

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:40 AM

Hey Cruz, how did you get the look on the lines on top of the roof? They look just like the real ones with the overlap and all.

What I did was, once I layed down the Plastruct strips, I primed the lines a little heavier on the inside to make sure and simulate the overlap. Once you shoot the adhesive, as you can see, the other side of the strip comes out just perfect. I glued my strips with Liquid Ambroid glue. You can use any other glue, I just thought the liquid glue was perfect for this. Of course, you have to make sure to mask the other side of the strip to keep the primer from getting accumulated on the opposite side of the aforementioned strip. :lol:

#32 sinicle

sinicle

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Full Name:Doug Knoben

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:07 PM

this is a great tip! I recently built a replica of my cousin's first car (66 Galaxie), and her car had a top. I looked through all the vinyl top posts here and tried a couple methods, and thought the adhesive method was the best. I LOVE the results! thanks again for sharing!!!

#33 Mr. Moparman

Mr. Moparman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Full Name:Brandon Henderson

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:56 AM

Darn, I gotta go get another '68 Charger kit now. :(

#34 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,019 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:40 AM

Great idea and your Mopar looks awesome! I might have to try that idea myself. Thanks.

#35 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,132 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:40 PM

Great technique. Thanks!!

:)

#36 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,019 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:15 AM

Yes!

Many thanks for the tutorial, your Charger looks great!

#37 Romell R

Romell R

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
  • Full Name:Romell Robinson

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:03 PM

now that's a tutorial! :lol:

#38 Zhu

Zhu

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Full Name:Zhu

Posted 07 August 2011 - 12:49 AM

I can't tell you the number of times I've pondered on how to replicate a vinyl roof, then, when nothings been forth-comming shelved the build or on many occasions not even started it.

Filed for future reference.
A thousand thank you's.

#39 Drake69

Drake69

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Full Name:Allen Manley

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:59 AM

Another trick is to use the Testors Model Master Vinyl Top spray after using either the Fabric Gray or Fabric Tan interior as a primer. The combination of the two gives it a perfect mottling effect you need for vinyl tops....

My first attempt at vinyl with this spray method (have since learned the trick of using styrene strips for mold lines....

Posted Image

#40 dustym

dustym

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:07 AM

Wish I had a picture of it, but I used just the fabric paint from testors. Light coats to cover, Duplicolor sandable flat black, then testors satin clear. I know, lots of steps, but looked better that the vinyl top spray. (in my opinion only, your results can vary) :D
Tim