18 replies to this topic

#1 KT EASTMAN

KT EASTMAN

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 09:54 AM

Well, its back!!! The former 1/24 Monogram 70 Pontiac Trans Am has been re-issued under the Revell Motor-City Muscle series. I believe the last time we had seen this one was sometime in the early '90's?? It appears to be pretty much a strait re-issue with the exception of those "Big Wheels". Don't worry, the stock Rallys are included!!! Yea!!! The kit has survived pretty well as there does not seem to be too much flash and the details are still pretty sharp. The instructions are strait forward and easy to read. Decals have two options to build the white car with blue stripes or the blue car with white stripes. There is no Trans Am lettering though. Tires are the old standby Revellogram Goodyears that no longer sport the lettering. The tires for the large 5 spoke wheels appear to be Goodyear Gatorbacks, but once again with no lettering. I have yet to build this issue but I have built the previous one and it went together fairly well and builds up into a nice Trans Am. I sure hope someone out there will cast a Formula hood for it though!!! HINT!!! HINT!!! I tried about a year ago and failed. It would be an easy conversion with a resin hood. Just remove the side scoops and the flares( You willl have to add material to the fenders) put on the Formula hood and presto!!!! Either way it is good to see the '70 re-issued. The prices on E-Bay were getting out of hand on these!!! I will probley buy at least 10 more before I am done!!! LOL!!!! KT

#2 MonoPed

MonoPed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:19 PM

What does the plastic look like? Does it look like the funky plastic that has had the paint issues?

#3 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:36 PM

Also speaking of funky------did they fix that incorrect upper side window shape? That's what turned me off from buying it before.

#4 crispy

crispy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 01:10 PM

Here is a boost to KT's fine review. IT is a basic re-pop. It feels like the "new" Revell plastic to me. The key here my fine friends, is patience while painting with hot paints.
Here are the pics:
Posted Image
Posted Image
New Tires:
Posted Image
Posted Image
For Bill:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
And of course the tails are in red and you have your clear windshield etc...

Chris

#5 MonoPed

MonoPed

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 01:35 PM

My one gripe with this kit is the exhaust moulded to the rear axle...

#6 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 06:59 PM

Sigh............:P Nope it's still the same...........I'll probably buy this kit if only to not build my original MPC '71 Trans Am. :wink:

#7 KT EASTMAN

KT EASTMAN

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 10:41 AM

Also speaking of funky------did they fix that incorrect upper side window shape? That's what turned me off from buying it before.

Funny, I thought it was just me!!! Yea, the kit is not perfect but I think it is a good "affordable" base for a number of '70-'73 projects. In the last few years I have seen the prices of these rise on E-Bay almost to the point where they were not affordable. The "Collector" in me took over and I started to hoard the ones I had and was afraid to build them. Now, I can build one or two without the guilt!!! :lol: Yes, it is true...I am a collector as well as a builder. Shame on me!!! KT

#8 Zoom Zoom

Zoom Zoom

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 11:36 AM

It's a really good kit. I've had the original version since it came out in the 90's. That window profile bugged me too.

The side window detail is quite simple to fix. I'll take a picture soon when my new camera is up and running and I set my lightbox back up. It only takes about 10 minutes to carve/scrape w/an XActo and sand the upper window line to give it the correct arc. Just need to remove a bit of material, no material needs to be added. I did the work on my Monogram T/A back in November, with my original MPC 1/25 Trans Am by it's side for reference. Helps if you have a small French curve to draw the contour onto the plastic.

The wheels are great; they're the only good rallys done in scale that depict the trim-ring-less stock wheels.

#9 Harvezter

Harvezter

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:24 PM

The key here my fine friends, is patience while painting with hot paints.Chris

What does the term "hot paints" mean?

#10 Mr. Can Am Garage

Mr. Can Am Garage

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:06 AM

Typically, it means lacquer based paints but not always.

Tamiya Sprays are lacquer and aren't typically considered "hot".

Automotive lacquer sprays (Dupli Color for example) are considered "hot".

Enamel and acyrlic paints are not "hot".

Krylon, although technically an enamel, is considered "hot" by us modelers as you can craze plastic if you aren't careful with how heavily you put it on.

#11 crispy

crispy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:14 AM

Meaning Automotive paints instead of your Hobby enamels.
The new Revell plastic is very susceptible to crazing without proper treatment. Meaning you should prime it with thin coats, or use Zinnser sealer on the body before even putting color coats on. When you do your color coats, do very thin coats for buildup before you do a wet coat.

Chris

#12 KT EASTMAN

KT EASTMAN

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:13 PM

It's a really good kit. I've had the original version since it came out in the 90's. That window profile bugged me too.
The side window detail is quite simple to fix. I'll take a picture soon when my new camera is up and running and I set my lightbox back up. It only takes about 10 minutes to carve/scrape w/an XActo and sand the upper window line to give it the correct arc. Just need to remove a bit of material, no material needs to be added. I did the work on my Monogram T/A back in November, with my original MPC 1/25 Trans Am by it's side for reference. Helps if you have a small French curve to draw the contour onto the plastic.
The wheels are great; they're the only good rallys done in scale that depict the trim-ring-less stock wheels.

Say Bob.....We never got a tutorial on how to best fix the window contour :unsure: . I thought I might just try to "Carve" it out myself using some reference photos but it would be neat to see how you would do it??? KT

#13 CrazyGirl

CrazyGirl

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Full Name:Anne Smith

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:35 AM

I just bought this Revell 70 Firebird , ,, any issues with this kit ?? good kit, bad kit ,fair kit ? thunks

#14 PowerPlant

PowerPlant

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Full Name:Matija Vasić

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:47 AM

My biggest disappointment with this kit is that it doesn't include proper Trans-Am decals.

Otherwise, it seems to be a nice kit with decent looking wheels :)

#15 W-Machine

W-Machine

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Full Name:Craig Enz

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:52 AM

My biggest disappointment with this kit is that it doesn't include proper Trans-Am decals.

Otherwise, it seems to be a nice kit with decent looking wheels :)

I second that. I sure wish that it had come with them, too.

#16 Blown03SVT

Blown03SVT

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Full Name:Eric Terry

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:04 AM

The kit will not have the Trans Am decals most likely due to licensing issues with GM just the same as the 78 T/A does not have them either. The kit does build up pretty nice with some inaccuracies. The engine looks a little small for a 400 c.i. motor in comparison to the one in the 78 T/A and the 67 Firebirds.

#17 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,233 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:43 AM

AFAIK this kit is discontinued and what's on the shelf is what remains. Considering Revell reissued the '91 Formula, the '68 Foose version, and the '77 T/A is about to drop, it makes sense. Even better would be if this were the last time we see the circa '91 Monogram 1/24 '70 T/A and they replace it with an all-new 1/25 scale kit.  ^_^

#18 Geno

Geno

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Full Name:Gene Mills

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:48 AM

Keith Marks makes a nice set of decals for 71-77 Trans Am's if you need the T/A lettering. I'm building one of these myself and will order those decals.  I for one want the 1/24 version to add to my 1/24 diecast collection. :)

Edited by Geno, 30 April 2013 - 05:50 AM.

#19 Tonioseven

Tonioseven

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts
  • Full Name:Antonio Holmes

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

That's the reason mine is still unbuilt. Once I find a French curve to get that part right, I'll get on it.

Edited by Tonioseven, 01 May 2013 - 07:26 PM.