Here's the rough cut line i'm going to follow. I've already done the top cut.
no turning back now.
Here I've put the chopped top in position, made cut lines on either side of the window back to almost the trunk line. After bendng the rear section down to meet the chopped top, I marked how much of the side (sail?) panels need to be removed. I did this by removing a pie shape who's point is at the end of the previously cut lines back to the trunk. Look at the pic a few seconds and it beccomes clear.
...and this is the chop showing the top and sides coaxed in to position with a well worn pair of needlenose pliers. I also bent the bottoms of the A pillars out ever so slightly to meet the uppers. It takes a while but going slow ensures no kinks in the bends.
Total time about 90 minutes. Hope it was of interest. I'm sure there are other ways -- better ways -- but I think I'll get what I want without too much fuss. I'll be back when I have the chop smoothed in, or almost so. Comments and critiques welcome.
Edited by Farmboy, 08 March 2010 - 02:53 PM.