#1 Car Crazy 81

Car Crazy 81

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Full Name:Rick

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:57 PM

Im in a slump on whats a good body filler or putty for a model car. If anybody can tell me what works best Any Suggestions!

#2 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:09 PM

I've been using Bondo Glazing Putty in the tube, not the red stuff that takes forever to set up. It mixes the same as regular Bondo, but had a much finer consistancy. It also sticks well to plastic and I've had little to no problems with ghosting. I get it at from Auto Zone, but sometimes WalMart has it.

#3 DanielG

DanielG

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:21 PM

Bondo, milliput, JB-Weld, melted sprue in liquid glue, CA, they all have their uses depending on what you are trying to achieve. I'm sure there are more favourites out there.

#4 diymirage

diymirage

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,507 posts
  • Full Name:Eelco Egelmeer

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:24 PM

i use bondo glazing putty in a tube, the red stuff that dries in about 30 minutes

i think i pay about 5-7 bucks per tube

the only two issues ive found with this is that if you put it on to thick it will crack (which a thinner second coat wil hide) and it suck in the paint so it can be a hair tricky getting it sealed in nicely so that you can lay an even top coat

#5 Car Crazy 81

Car Crazy 81

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Full Name:Rick

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:38 PM

I've been using Bondo Glazing Putty in the tube, not the red stuff that takes forever to set up. It mixes the same as regular Bondo, but had a much finer consistancy. It also sticks well to plastic and I've had little to no problems with ghosting. I get it at from Auto Zone, but sometimes WalMart has it.

Bill- You talking about the Bondo Professional Glazing Spot Putty that comes with a hardener thats what im currently using right now.

Edited by LSU Fan 1981, 10 March 2010 - 04:40 PM.

#6 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:25 PM

Yes, that's the stuff. It's worked well for me. I also use 3M Acryl Green from time to time, but don't really care for the waiting time for it to set up.

#7 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:42 PM

I've never used this myself, but I do know of some modellers that swear by Nitrostan putty. To be honest, I wasn't even sure if they still made it.

#8 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,381 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:46 PM

Bondo 2-part "Professional" glazing putty. Cheap, available at any auto parts store, works great.

What's not to like? ;)